Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was thinking (very hypothetically) What if jeep or an aftermarket custom shop made clear plastic my sky panels. I love having them and love the black on silver look but it could be neat to have a tinted or clear high grade plastic panel. like I said its a crazy idea but from what I see in some owners jeeps thats the idea!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think you'd be far better off with glass, unless you really wanted to remove it. Plastic would get scratched and yellowed I would imagine.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Lexan has UV-resistent properties, but it won't stay clear forever. Covering it with a clear UV resistant material (like paint or UV blocking tinting film) can help. But, paint and flim can scratch. Not practical for something that is removeable or handled.

The real reason this will never happen (not from an OEM perspective anyway): Emergency responders can easily punch through safety glass to pull you out of a burning car. They can't do the same easily through Lexan. Lexan is the materal jet fighter bubble canopies are made of.

FCA doesn't want to make the panels with glass because of these possible reasons:
1) cost; it would put the Renegade at an uncompetitive price)
2) weight; glass is not light and the added weight would impact MPG figures... plus, it would make the Renegade more top-heavy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.