Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crossbars vs MySky

Can the Trailhawk handle crossbars without interference with the operation of the motorized MySky panel? If so, can the panels still be removed with the crossbars on?

If you own a Trailhawk with MySky and cross bars I'd greatly appreciate photos.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
That I know of no one in the US has a MySky yet. There may be some in Canada and Overseas in Europe that have a version. So it may be a while before someone can truly give you a accurate answer.

But this is one thing I also wondered myself for a while but figured it won't be a problem. If you look at the Mopar video of the MySky at time-index 0:05 thru 0:10) the My Sky panel does rise up to the level of the side rails and then slides back. Most crossbars rise above the side rails and it should be okay and not in the way for the MySky to open.

As for removing the panels, I assume the crossrails have to placed at two of the yellow lines I indicated below.

and attached at either A & B or B & C
I don't think placing the crossrails at point A and C is durable since that's quite far from each other. But so long as the first crossrail is at the mid way point of the two panels and the second crossrail is behind the real panel they won't be in the way of removing the panels.
Now mind you I don't even have a Renegade and I'm just going by the videos and photos so my analysis may not mean much. Hopefully MySkys will start coming in and we'll get an answer from someone willing to test my theory.

Oh and btw Welcome to the forum.

TS

Reactions: Rebel

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nice graphical analysis, Twospirits!

The conundrum becomes even worse for those wanting MySky and a roof basket, like myself. I'm thinking of having something custom made; full length, with two removable "floors" where the openings are. These will be left at home, and only put in when I actually need to use the basket.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm debating whether to get My SKY or not. I have a question for those of you with it... Does MySKY prevent you from using crossbars on the roof rack? Or, if crossbars and MySKY are used together does it make it difficult to remove the MySKY panels? Does anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
285 Posts
No problems at all!
Or, if crossbars and MySKY are used together does it make it difficult to remove the MySKY panels?
You can't lift them straight up, you have to slide them out, but it's not difficult.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is awesome! Thank you both for the pictures too. I was thinking that using cross bars would be pushing it, but you both have a basket on there too! That's exactly what I want to do.

Any issues with wind noise on the basket when the MySKY is open?

Thanks again for the awesome photos!

·
Registered
607 Posts
With mine at highway speeds and the MySky closed the wind noise is about the same as having a window cracked open about a 1/4". With the MySky open, you can't even tell it's there unless you look up.
with both of your mysky panels open and off, at highway speeds, does it sound like a helicopter is flying above you?

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Where did u get the roof reck with the jeep logo? can u get it online?
This post shows he got it at Walmart (Reese brand).

I think it could be this one. It is also available at Amazon listed under the Highland name, but a bit more expensive.

The next post states he added the Jeep sticker. He may have to come in and state where he got it.

TS

·
Registered
70 Posts
Tossing around the idea of buying cross bars and judging from the pics posted, low profile cross bars would definitely not work?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Tossing around the idea of buying cross bars and judging from the pics posted, low profile cross bars would definitely not work?
I have Yakima whispbars, they are probably the lowest profile bars you can get. I have the front bars in the front, between the 2 front mounting points, and the other in the back, between the rear two mounting points. Mysky is uneffected, the wind deflector pops up and sits right under, but not touching the front bar. The rear bar is a non issue.

When a I have my cargo basket on, I need to put a small spacer under the mounting bracket of the basket to "lift" the basket slightly higher. By doing this it gives me enough clearance to use the powered mysky. I can also use the vent feature no problem. I cannot take the panels off with the basket on.

I only use the basket when needed, if it was to keep the basket on permanently then it would severely limit mysky usage.

Edit, I guess I should add that the reason my bars are so far apart is that I have a cargo rack with an extension, it goes the whole length of the roof. From the windshield and right back to the antenna.

·
Registered
715 Posts
SemperFi, do you have any pictures showing the front power open in relation to the location of front/back bars? Maybe a profile view, and maybe an overhead view like if youre looking at it from the front clip. Please and thank you! :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
SemperFi, do you have any pictures showing the front power open in relation to the location of front/back bars? Maybe a profile view, and maybe an overhead view like if youre looking at it from the front clip. Please and thank you! :D
Ya, I will get them for you sometimes today, its sprinkling outside so once it clears up I will sneak outa work and snap a few.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have Yakima whispbars, they are probably the lowest profile bars you can get. I have the front bars in the front, between the 2 front mounting points, and the other in the back, between the rear two mounting points. Mysky is uneffected, the wind deflector pops up and sits right under, but not touching the front bar. The rear bar is a non issue.

When a I have my cargo basket on, I need to put a small spacer under the mounting bracket of the basket to "lift" the basket slightly higher. By doing this it gives me enough clearance to use the powered mysky. I can also use the vent feature no problem. I cannot take the panels off with the basket on.
So basically as long as you run low-profile crossbars far enough back they will clear the MySky? The rack/basket will just sit farther back on the roof because of this, which isn't a big deal to me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.