Jeep Renegade Forum banner
141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
+1 for Brightlines. I installed these and love that they are flat on top as opposed to the OEM design. I needed to swap out my OEM because my roof basket was too wide. I can't post the URL but just go to amazon and search: BRIGHTLINES 2015-2019 Jeep Renegade Aero Crossbars Roof Racks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Brightlines are good bars. They don't stick out too far, but are tall enough that I can still remove the MySky panels from my roof without taking the bars off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Roof Cargo Capacity

Hi, I just bought a rooftop tent for my Jeep Renegade. (FSR Adventure series tri-layer 55"). It weighs 125 lbs by itself. I weigh, well, a little more than that. And if I ever find a partner, I imagine he'll weigh a little more than me. And now I am noticing that all the cross bars I can find for roof rails so far say they have a maximum 150lb capacity. Ummm. That's a problem. These tents are designed for the express purpose of mounting on the roofs of these cars, and I have seen lots of pics of Renegades with rooftop tents mounted. So I did not even think to check the exact roof cargo capacity before buying. Did I make a $1600 mistake? Can I just add another cross bar to the roof rails to help this? Is there a particular brand of cross bar that indicates more than 150 lbs? Ideas? Appreciate any helpful input.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The ability of the rack (and vehicle roof) to support its designated number of sleepers and their gear isn’t typically an issue. Most car roofs are already engineered to withstand loads relating to a rollover accident. Couple that with the load distribution provided by the sturdy tent-floor platform and extra support provided by the ladder, and you have one very robust structure.

reference: REI

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/how-to-choose-a-roof-top-tent.html

·
Registered
417 Posts
Roof Cargo Capacity

Hi, I just bought a rooftop tent for my Jeep Renegade. (FSR Adventure series tri-layer 55"). It weighs 125 lbs by itself. I weigh, well, a little more than that. And if I ever find a partner, I imagine he'll weigh a little more than me. And now I am noticing that all the cross bars I can find for roof rails so far say they have a maximum 150lb capacity. Ummm. That's a problem. These tents are designed for the express purpose of mounting on the roofs of these cars, and I have seen lots of pics of Renegades with rooftop tents mounted. So I did not even think to check the exact roof cargo capacity before buying. Did I make a $1600 mistake? Can I just add another cross bar to the roof rails to help this? Is there a particular brand of cross bar that indicates more than 150 lbs? Ideas? Appreciate any helpful input.
I've had these same concerns, but see tons of people using these on all makes and models. They all seem to get away with it.

That's a GREAT looking tent, by the way. (y)

·
Registered
15 Posts
The manufacturer's weight is for a "live load" - what's on top, oscillating while traveling over the roadbed.
You will be "dead weight" on top while the vehicle is stationary.
(Unless your future partner becomes overly active)

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
@Sailbad, I am glad to see somebody reading the older forum posts and it is with great delight that I notice you taking an interest in roof loads and crossbars.

You gave me a cough, spluttering moment at the last comment.

(Unless your future partner becomes overly active)
Oh to be young, fit and active again or to find a willing partner then I could have the earth shaking beneath my Jeep :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

141 - 151 of 151 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.