Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Let me start-off by saying I'm new to this forum, new to 4x4'ing and new to Jeep.

We picked up a Renegade Trailhawk a couple of months ago, primarily to do some cross country driving on what could potentially be some rough roads.

Taking into account the "Trail Rating" and the numerous undercarriage protection items as described in the brochure I was happy to join some friends on a day out at a local 4x4 trail... unfortunately however we picked up some damage:

It was only at this point that we discovered that the undercarriage is not quite as robust as one would have thought and in my opinion this is a HUGE design flaw.
I'm engaging with Jeep at the moment, not sure if they're going to come to the party and assist with the cost of repairs as we hope.

In the meantime, to the rest of you, please take extra care not to do the same damage, or make a point of getting some additional protection down there.

PS - We also picked up punctures in 3 of the 4 tyres :( altogether not such a great experience, was expecting a lot more form the brand.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Very sorry to hear this, I have done quite a bit of serious off roading, even back when I had the factory Wrangler SRA's and I had no issues. Bad luck for sure. I am in the process of designing and producing a perforated skid plate for that area...it is left open to allow for exhaust flex and to keep exhaust heat from building up in the engine bay...Again sorry to hear

·
Registered
753 Posts
And that's with the factory skid-plate? Man, that sucks! I'm surprised to see that much of a rusty-coating on those pieces already - I assume that isn't just dirt/dust, it really looks like a rusty-coating.

You're sure things looked good before you ventured out, and it didn't come off the lot like that?

·
Registered
715 Posts
I do tires. Have been for the last almost 9 years, GY have some of the thinest sidewalls in the industry. Wrangler SRAs are super super thin, and I have seen a plastic spoon tear through a 265/70/17 SRA. On road lol. Continentals are also super thin. Typically factory tires arent so hot, unless theres a Michelin or BFG on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And that's with the factory skid-plate? Man, that sucks! I'm surprised to see that much of a rusty-coating on those pieces already - I assume that isn't just dirt/dust, it really looks like a rusty-coating.

You're sure things looked good before you ventured out, and it didn't come off the lot like that?
Yip, that's the factory skid plate, or actually the "Front Suspension Skid Plate".

From this angle you'll see that the "rusty-coating" is mostly just dirt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I eventually got the quote back from the dealers, apparently they can't simply repair/replace the damaged section, the whole front pipe has to be replaced.
The initial quote was R6 658.03 or $440, although after some negotiation we managed to get that down to R4 084 / $265.

That's still a lump of cash on something that should have been protected :-(

So learn from my mistake, don't go out without extra protection ;-)

·
Registered
85 Posts
We just picked up a Trailhawk last night, my wife is a novice off-road driver at best. I wonder if anyone's making a plate to add-in to help block that area a little better...

·
Registered
715 Posts
Just checked mine and I also have some damage at that point. The whole exhaust system from that point to the back end is basically exposed and prone to damage
I was inspecting mine yesterday, and it is definitely the lowest part of the Jeep :(. I hope they will warranty this out when it gets torn up on the Rene's out there that off-road!! :|

·
Registered
85 Posts
Added a plate to that area.
What is that plate out of?

I have some heavier metal parts from some cars I've junked, I may have to see what'll fit there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I finally managed to bang it, though in all fairness, I was being careless and a better line could have avoided the damage:

My front bumper has also seen better days, I'm still waiting for a good aftermarket solution:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.