Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just to clarify, my Trailhawk has the 6 speaker system in it and I replaced the dash and front door speaker with the kickers listed above (dash) and 6x9 kicker for the door. I cannot comment on the Polk, having not heard them. The kickers are a nice step up from the stock speakers, which are about as crappy as Bose speakers! Just the magnet weight alone told you you had better quality in the replacement. I did not install bass blockers.
The Kickers are more sensitive, so your system can be driver louder. Also, much greater clarity and detail at the high end. And last but not least, I doubt those stock speaker had any useable bass under 80 hz, and the bass is much more present and less muddy.
Btw, I installed the in dash speaker first, then tackled the door dismantle the next day. For sure, the biggest improvement was from better quality dash speakers!
instructions for installing can be found in this thread:
http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...-door-panel-removal-speaker-installation.html

·
Registered
263 Posts
I went witht he DB351s from Crutchfield. $49.99 shipped with the correct Metra 71-039C speaker harnesses.

My 6 speaker 5.0 jsut w/ the new Polk dash speakers sounds like a whole new system. Next up is 6x9s for front doors and adding powered compact sub under front seat or false floor in trunk. I am digging the Kicker low profile Sub, can get a refurb off fleabay for under $160 shipped.

Reactions: thetickz

·
Registered
113 Posts
I installed the Infinity Reference 3002cfx 3.5in speakers in the dashboard of my 2015 9-speaker setup, and I think it sounds great, so that is another option for you. I did not install bass blockers. There is a sticky thread in the audio section with installation instructions. There isn't much sound coming from the door speakers, mainly lower midrange and upper bass, so I'm probably not going to bother with those.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank for the help everyone!

I got the Kickers because Crutchfield doesn't sell the Polks anymore. I called and got the free wiring harness and shipping.

The representative said they don't recommend the Kickers though because the tweeter is too tall by a 10th of an inch and will hit the factory speaker grills. I'll take the risk and try them out, if they hit I can always return them.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thetickz..I installed those very kicker 3.5 inch and didn't have an issue with the grill. And the install is easy as fishing, all you have to have is a tight space allen wrench, as the anterior most screw is up against the windshield, so not a lot of space to put a traditional sized tool. Now, those Infinitys that Malcom mentioned are likely better!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thetickz..I installed those very kicker 3.5 inch and didn't have an issue with the grill. And the install is easy as fishing, all you have to have is a tight space allen wrench, as the anterior most screw is up against the windshield, so not a lot of space to put a traditional sized tool. Now, those Infinitys that Malcom mentioned are likely better!
Thank you for the reassurance! Can't wait to install them on Monday.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed the Infinity Reference 3002cfx 3.5in speakers in the dashboard of my 2015 9-speaker setup, and I think it sounds great, so that is another option for you. I did not install bass blockers. There is a sticky thread in the audio section with installation instructions. There isn't much sound coming from the door speakers, mainly lower midrange and upper bass, so I'm probably not going to bother with those.
Were the Infinity's a clean install? Everything fit back in to place ok? Also, how's the sound without the base blocker?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ended up installing the Polk's tonight and returned the Kickers. Didn't install the bass blockers and they sound great.

Since these aftermarket speakers are more sensitive, they play a lot louder and since they're so small they push a lot of treble. After some EQ and moving the balance back two clicks they sound fantastic!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What difference did you notice between them?
I went with the Polks over the Kickers for a few reasons:

• I read that someone's Kickers already blew here on the forums
  • Polks have capacitors (bass blockers) built in to the tweeter, Kickers don't
  • Polks are marine certified so they can handle moisture and UV light (I live in Phoenix, so my dash will get very hot!)
  • Polks have a higher frequency range and are more sensitive

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.