Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got to fully test out 5 aftermarket dash speakers along with the stock pieces. For reference here are the speakers tested and their impedance (rated/measured):

4ohm / 3.5ohm - Stock
4ohm / 3.5ohm - Kicker 44KSC3504
4ohm / 3.1ohm - Polk DB351
4ohm / 3.1ohm - Hertz DCX87.3
3ohm / 2.4ohm - Infinity REF-3022cfx
3ohm / 2.4ohm - JBL GTO329

All speakers fit in the factory locations but the JBL's would need trimming on the frame so the grill will secure. Also the Polk tweeter extends significantly more than the others and makes contact with the grill but it is still able to snap closed.

I also put each speaker through a 20Hz - 20kHz sweep and recorded the SPL. This was done with the fade/balance set to 100% drivers front and volume set at 25. I still had the door 6x9 and Kicker 6.75" sub connected. Interestingly the 6x9 begins to roll off at about 160Hz above which the 3.5" begins to overpower it. There is also a distinctive drop at 500Hz and 2500Hz which must be in the processor because it was exhibited by each speaker.

Maximum SPL from each speaker was:

75.66 db - Hertz
75.17 db - JBL
74.65 db - Infinity
73.50 db - Polk
73.20 db - Stock
70.84 db - Kicker

While these are peak levels it was obvious that the Kickers were less efficient because while more detailed than the stock speakers they were not any louder. By comparison all other speakers were noticeably louder than the Kickers.

I'm by no means an expert but to my ears the Polk had the most "subdued" highs while the Hertz and Infinity were "bright". This is mostly due to the silk tweeter on the Polk vs Composite on the others. I did find the sound from the Infinity more "hollow" than the others and more fatiguing. The JBL struck a nice balance between the Polk and Hertz. Surprisingly after listening for a couple hours the Hertz sounded the best on Satellite Radio but a little harsh on HD Radio. The Polk sounded better on the HD Radio but a little muddy on the Satellite. The JBL struck a good balance between them. I'm going to keep auditioning this weekend but at this point it's down to those 3.

Here is an image of the Polk and Hertz graphs for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
The polks look to have a flatter response. It’s very interesting seeing on a graph how much music is missing.

I run the same tests as well.

I have a few more things to buy so I can start my install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So after an extra day of auditioning I've decided to keep the JBL. They just had better definition than the Polk and smoother than the Hertz. The Hertz played a little louder but it wasn't linear. The HPF on the tweeter was set at 3,500Hz which was a little high with the factory EQ because there was a definite gap from when the mid would start to roll off and and the tweeter would come on. Above 4,000Hz they sounded detailed and clear but there was a 15db drop between 2,000Hz and 4,000Hz which actually was noticeable and made the transition to higher frequencies seem harsh at times. The JBL on the other hand has a larger tweeter than all others so it was able to play a little lower and smooth out the transitions. Another interesting thing is the JBL came with a 450Hz filter while the Infinity and Polk came with 250Hz filters. The Kicker and Hertz were not supplied with filters. Given the strange factory EQ curve and the drop around 500Hz I'm going to try one of the 250Hz filters vs the JBL's 450Hz to better smooth out the response. I'll probably grab a pair of JBL tweeters for the back doors now so they'll match the fronts then move on to the doors.

On a side note I was impressed with the Hertz because their "budget" line kept up well with the best other manufacturers had to offer. I think stepping up the Hertz family tree could get into some pretty impressive speakers but they don't offer a 3.5". Also I'm sure the results would be different I had an aftermarket amp with better EQ control. It's for that reason I chose the JBL, it made the most out of the stock Beats system shortcomings. Only thing remaining to do is cut off the small lip around the frame so I can put the grills back on. Hope somebody finds this useful.

Here are my final rankings (your ears may vary):

1. JBL
2. Hertz
3. Polk
4. Infinity
5. Kicker
6. Stock

Attached are the curves from: JBL, Kicker & Infinity.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update...so while attempting to remove the outer ring on the JBL I was cutting the adhesive where the ring attaches to the frame. Once I removed the adhesive the ring came free but the rubber surround was actually attached to the inside of the ring and not the speaker frame. Needless to say that speaker is toast. Looks like the only way to get them to fit is to grind or cut the ring down vs removing the ring. I'll throw the Hertz in there for now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
JBL GX302 3.5 fits in the dash

I just installed a pair of JBL GX302 in my dash and am very happy with them. I replaced a set of Kickers I had in for a couple weeks and they had no mids and could be ear piercing on the highs. The JBL 3.5s fit in with no modifications. I have a 6 speaker system and installed JBL GTO 939 6x9 in all 4 doors...what a transformation! I have quickly become a big fan of JBL.

·
Registered
155 Posts
yes, JBL is well know for speakers, but I have no idea who makes better car speakers. I replaced my stock speakers in my 6 speaker system with kicker 3.5 and 6x9 and the improvement was noticeable. i agree, the kickers didn't get louder, but definately more detail.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've had the Polk speakers in my Rene for a couple of years now. Still happy.

·
Super Moderator
1,579 Posts
This thread has been great.

So, based on the detailed info and testing (and my budget) I ordered a set of Hertz DCX87.3 3½ speakers for €39 Inc shipping.

The set of connectors I order for €2 arrived from China this morning, so: Have at it!!!

Pretty straight forward. The Hertz fit with a bit of wiggling and orienting.
The cheap Chinese connectors were not the right ones.
But nothing a couple of spare spade connectors, some wire cutters and a crimp tool couldn't fit.

It's obviously subjective but it all sounds a lot better just with this simple, inexpensive upgrade.
I think I'm able to now push up the bass a lot more. (I didn't fit any bass filter caps to the Hertz.)
Happy bunny.

Thanks TroyD80!!!

:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've replaced the stock dash speakers and stock sub with Kickers in my 9-speaker system. I've been trying to figure out what to do with the front door speakers, and since I am a little OCD I was looking at Kickers as a replacement. After your dash speaker comparison I may just replace the Kicker dash speakers and the OEM front door speakers with JBLs. I wish there was a comparison done for the door speakers. I am looking to tighten up the bass and overall sound without losing volume (I heard this was a problem for some). Any suggestions from anyone?

·
Super Moderator
3,409 Posts
I've replaced the stock dash speakers and stock sub with Kickers in my 9-speaker system. I've been trying to figure out what to do with the front door speakers, and since I am a little OCD I was looking at Kickers as a replacement. After your dash speaker comparison I may just replace the Kicker dash speakers and the OEM front door speakers with JBLs. I wish there was a comparison done for the door speakers. I am looking to tighten up the bass and overall sound without losing volume (I heard this was a problem for some). Any suggestions from anyone?
I replaced my doors with JBLs.

You will lose some low-mid range punch, gain a little bass and help the sound stage a little.

Nothing will produce as much volume in the doors as the factory speakers unless you can find something as low impedance as they are.

I didn't do all my speakers at one. If you play off a device and have eq on the device, my opinion is as follows.

Listen with the windows up most of the time.

Decent dash replacements, JBL or infinity in the doors. Leave the factory rear tweeters be if you have them (they actually aren't bad).

Listen with the windows down a lot.

jsut do the dash speakers and get friendly with the head unit EQ as well as your device.

Do both?

dash replaced, JBL/infinity in the front doors, leave rear doors factory. lean on EQ a lot.

You are hampered that the factory amp is EQed for the factory speakers and that the door speakers are really low impedance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You are hampered that the factory amp is EQed for the factory speakers and that the door speakers are really low impedance.
I've tried to explain this to many, but few understand.. The forum needs a sticky thread with a warning and a solid explanation of the problems.
I see alot of frustration on the forum..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I finally got to fully test out 5 aftermarket dash speakers along with the stock pieces. For reference here are the speakers tested and their impedance (rated/measured):

4ohm / 3.5ohm - Stock

All speakers fit in the factory locations but the JBL's would need trimming on the frame so the grill will secure. Also the Polk tweeter extends significantly more than the others and makes contact with the grill but it is still able to snap closed.

I also put each speaker through a 20Hz - 20kHz sweep and recorded the SPL. This was done with the fade/balance set to 100% drivers front and volume set at 25. I still had the door 6x9 and Kicker 6.75" sub connected. Interestingly the 6x9 begins to roll off at about 160Hz above which the 3.5" begins to overpower it. There is also a distinctive drop at 500Hz and 2500Hz which must be in the processor because it was exhibited by each speaker.

75.66 db - Hertz
75.17 db - JBL
74.65 db - Infinity
73.50 db - Polk
73.20 db - Stock
70.84 db - Kicker

While these are peak levels it was obvious that the Kickers were less efficient because while more detailed than the stock speakers they were not any louder. By comparison all other speakers were noticeably louder than the Kickers.

I'm by no means an expert but to my ears the Polk had the most "subdued" highs while the Hertz and Infinity were "bright". This is mostly due to the silk tweeter on the Polk vs Composite on the others. I did find the sound from the Infinity more "hollow" than the others and more fatiguing. The JBL struck a nice balance between the Polk and Hertz. Surprisingly after listening for a couple hours the Hertz sounded the best on Satellite Radio but a little harsh on HD Radio. The Polk sounded better on the HD Radio but a little muddy on the Satellite. The JBL struck a good balance between them. I'm going to keep auditioning this weekend but at this point it's down to those 3.

Did you have to do any modifications to either your renegade and/or speakers when you installed the Hertz DCX 87.3s? Or were you able to just drop the new speakers in where the old ones were without any finagling? I've been looking for stock dimensions to compare to the Hertz dimensions, but haven't had too much luck. Any input you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you have to do any modifications to either your renegade and/or speakers when you installed the Hertz DCX 87.3s? Or were you able to just drop the new speakers in where the old ones were without any finagling? I've been looking for stock dimensions to compare to the Hertz dimensions, but haven't had too much luck. Any input you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks!
The Hertz 87.3's drop right in and make a huge difference in sound.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed the infinity dash speakers and they are much louder than the stock speakers. It was like the door speakers were not even there. I removed them almost immediately. Are there any speakers you recommend that will keep the same volume as stock?

On another note for the rest of you. Here is a link to connectors that fit the dash speakers. They are in stock on Amazon.

4ohm / 3.5ohm - Stock

75.66 db - Hertz
75.17 db - JBL
74.65 db - Infinity
73.50 db - Polk
73.20 db - Stock
70.84 db - Kicker

1 - 16 of 16 Posts