Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed their dashboard lights change (get brighter then dim) when they have on their headlights? This has been happening to me a lot lately so I am getter ready to make an appointment at the dealership.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone noticed their dashboard lights change (get brighter then dim) when they have on their headlights? This has been happening to me a lot lately so I am getter ready to make an appointment at the dealership.
Mine has done this since day one. I thought it was normal to the car adjusting its brightness to not blind you at night.

Mine changes when I drive under an overpass for a while, or in the shade during sundown.

Once it's actually night time, it stays at the same brightness. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
It was overcast for the whole week after I bought my Renegade, which made this feature extremely annoying; Any time I would drive under a tree, the dash lighting would dim and then brighten again as soon as I got out of the shadow of the tree. I looked for a setting to adjust the threshold for dimming (or the time before the dash would dim), but I wasn't able to find anything. If anyone knows if this setting exists, I'd love to know where it is.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Turn your lights ON or OFF, do not use AUTO when cloudy or at dusk. The sensor gets confused, not sure if it's daytime or nighttime. What your seeing is the AUTO function of the light system. I saw this on one of my test drives. Changed the lights from Auto to ON and problem was solved.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank God for this thread...thought I had a defect. Picked up my Renegade 2 days ago and today was rainy. The bright to fade issue bugged me. Noticed if I turned off the headlights the dash lights stayed bright.

Only real problem was when back-up cam also faded. That was bad.

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
860 Posts
See attached image. The dimmer switch on the right (on our left hand drive vehicles anyways) has a detent just below the top detent (where the interior lights turn on). The lower dimmer detent forces the dash lights to their brightest setting regardless of ambient light. Just below that detent is where it actually dims, but is also influence by ambient light.

I put it at about mid position at night because there is little influence from ambient light changes. During the day I have to put it up at the middle detent to force the dash lights to stay bright. If I forget and leave it on the dimming setting during the day, my dash lights look like I'm at a disco as I drive in and out of shade.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.