Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to install a Dashcam in my Rene.

My idea was to put the camera on the black section of screen where the mirror is mounted (so that it is harder to see from the outside). To facilitate this I need to run the power cable up to this area, I thought a good route would be under the plastic 'A Pillar' cover then above the roof lining, dropping down at the mirror location.

My problem is that the 'A pillar' cover mostly unclips, but there is something still holding it either by the (dash) speaker grill or by the door hinge area ?

I don't want to break anything by applying too much force so have given up for the moment.

Any tips how to complete this job ?

Cheers,
Peter.....

·
Registered
261 Posts
regret I can't help but will be attempting the same thing in 10 days time when I pick up my new Renegade and transfer the dashcam from my Grand Cherokee....so interested in how you finally manage the install. If you are on good terms with your dealers workshop they may be able help on best technique to remove or pull back A pillar cover without damaging it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am looking to install a Dashcam in my Rene.

My idea was to put the camera on the black section of screen where the mirror is mounted (so that it is harder to see from the outside). To facilitate this I need to run the power cable up to this area, I thought a good route would be under the plastic 'A Pillar' cover then above the roof lining, dropping down at the mirror location.

My problem is that the 'A pillar' cover mostly unclips, but there is something still holding it either by the (dash) speaker grill or by the door hinge area ?

I don't want to break anything by applying too much force so have given up for the moment.

Any tips how to complete this job ?

Cheers,
Peter.....
Peter ..about taking the power from the interior light .. the power is live and you could if needed put a in-line fuse ... done this on Fiats but not on a Rene yet..
I'm going to fit a wireless rear number plate cam soon as my Rene doesn't have a rear cam fitted ..

Badger .. Irchester ..

·
Registered
367 Posts
You shouldn't need to remove the A pillar trim.
There is enough space to just push the wire into the gap between windscreen and trim.
Currently, I have mine then running along the bottom of the trim, behind the door seal and across the inside of the glovebox.
Ultimately, when the weather gets warmer, I plan on removing the speaker and grille, and dropping it behind there so that none of the wiring is visible.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here it is
Yes just took mine off just to have a look .. it's a bit tight but just pull it up to remove... very tight near the speaker grill so I removed the grill and speaker just to have a look ... easy ..

I've done one on a Fiat 500X very simulator and I broke one clip .. luckily I had lots of different Fiat trim clips that did the job.. In the past I have fitted trim back on with double-sided sticky pads .. same pads as we fit the rear number plates on in the UK .. removing the trim then would be very difficult ... :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All,

Thanks for your excellent replies and helpful photos.

Re: the internal light as a power source, the device is 5V and therefore needs the fitted cigarette lighter dropper that's on the lead.

I thought there was a 'hidden' clip. My goal is to have the wire hidden as much as possible so I'll give the 'A Pillar' route another bash when i'm on holiday next week.

Peter.....

·
Registered
112 Posts
All,

Thanks for your excellent replies and helpful photos.

Re: the internal light as a power source, the device is 5V and therefore needs the fitted cigarette lighter dropper that's on the lead.

I thought there was a 'hidden' clip. My goal is to have the wire hidden as much as possible so I'll give the 'A Pillar' route another bash when i'm on holiday next week.

Peter.....
I've used something like this .. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Supply-Module-Converter-Regulator-Stepdown/dp/B017N5WK8Y/ .. small and room in the headlining.. Job done ..

·
Registered
52 Posts
You shouldn't need to remove the A pillar trim.
There is enough space to just push the wire into the gap between windscreen and trim.
Currently, I have mine then running along the bottom of the trim, behind the door seal and across the inside of the glovebox.
Ultimately, when the weather gets warmer, I plan on removing the speaker and grille, and dropping it behind there so that none of the wiring is visible.

I didn't have a problem hiding the wire in the a pillar without removing it as well. I didn't think of going through the glove box though, mine runs under the mat, I will look at the glovebox idea though now.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mine is a blackvue and mounted to the drivers side of the screen right at the top left near the box, in front of the mirror. As it's high up, it isn't in direct sunlight and as it's dark in colour it's not obviously there.
The wiring runs along the headliner and down the pillar, down to the glove box and along underneath it to the cigar socket. The wires tuck out of sight.
It records continuously and continually overwrites the small SD card in it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.