Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've gotten near a foot of snow in our area over the last two days. In the plowed and semi-plowed areas my Trailhawk has performed flawlessly, with nary a slip nor slide despite the icy roads.
Today we were coming back from a village south of us and I decided to take a short cut down a gravel road. It didn't look like it had been plowed but other drivers had made two ruts down it so off we went. For the most part the area between the ruts was no more than a foot deep but we suddenly came upon an area where the wind had drifted snow across the road to a depth of at least two feet. It was too late to stop (and I feared I would never get going again) so keeping my left hand on the wheel and my eyes on the road I dropped my right hand to the button on the console to disable the ESC. I kept the pedal to the metal and busted right through the roughly 100 feet of badly drifted road. Hardly any swerving or bad behavior at all! True, it was a fairly light snow but even so, experience with other vehicles in such conditions has not always had a happy ending. Plus, my wife was with me and if I had gotten stuck I never would have heard the end of it...... I'm driving on Michelin All-Season tires and was impressed with how well the Renegade performed.

·
Registered
184 Posts
There's another thread where a number of owners have stated stopping on snow is not one of the better qualities of the Renegade with all season tires. You mention you nary had a slap nor slide on icy roads. Do you think shutting off the ESC would help with stopping on snow covered roads?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Mine is excellent in the snow. We had around 30 inches (76 cm) of snow two weeks ago and I had to get to my M-I-L's house on that Saturday. Many of the side streets weren't plowed at all and even the highways had many inches of slippery snow. I had absolutely no trouble at all. I have the GY Wrangler SR-A tires that came with the car.

I too turn off the traction control because if I get into a situation where I need to stab the gas, I don't want the computer taking away throttle input. I tried 4WD lock and also Snow mode. Snow mode softens the throttle input somewhat.

Reactions: BluMule

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's another thread where a number of owners have stated stopping on snow is not one of the better qualities of the Renegade with all season tires. You mention you nary had a slap nor slide on icy roads. Do you think shutting off the ESC would help with stopping on snow covered roads?
Stopping has not been a problem, even on icy surfaces. In such conditions I keep my speed down and anticipate the stops well in advance so I only need light brake pressure. I've also manually downshifted a few times when I thought the surface was really slick but in all events the Renegade behaved well. Just to see what happened I've also tried a panic stop on a ice covered airport ramp...the ABS did it's job and the Renegade stopped straight ahead, nothing scary.

For normal driving I would leave the ESC on.... especially at highway speeds. It will react faster than you can. The reason I shut it off when I pushed thru the snow is I feared that if all four wheels started slipping the computer might try to back off the power and maybe apply braking to some or all wheels. I do not know for sure that it would do so but I didn't want to take the chance of getting stranded. In my experience I believe the secret to getting thru deep snow is to keep moving, even if your wheels slip a bit in the process! Where I was the snow was deep enough that had I stopped I likely would have been high-centered and unlikely to get free without a wrecker or some serious shovel work :-(

Like the rest of you I am still learning the Renegade. It has performed really well so far and I have no reason to regret my purchase. 3000+ miles as of today.

·
Super Moderator
3,641 Posts
I have had no issues stopping in the snow with the stock tires. Contrary to some people's belief ABS will stop you faster than no ABS in all conditions.
That would be contrary to the beliefs of theo people who designed ABS in the first place.

ABS stops faster than locking up the brakes. Your average driver in an emergency situation tends to lock up the brakes. Also, with ABS you retain the ability to steer which you don not with the brakes locked up. That's why we have ABS now.

To quote the NHTSA "On very soft surfaces, such as gravel or unpacked snow, ABS may actually lengthen stopping distances. "

It also comes down to the ABS system. I had a 1997 mitsubishi eclipse GSX. It had a pretty poor 2 channel ABS system. If I braked in a manner so as to not engage abs on snow or gravel, I'd stop pretty quickly. If I made it engage, it took significantly longer. Because of the threshold for engaging, the non-abs stop wasn't even the optimum braking threshold.

Then you add in technique. With ABS, it is stomp and steer. Hard brake, commit. Lots of people get all doubtful when the ABS kicks in and starts making horrible noises. So practically, a LOT of people do much worse with ABS over the best a conventional braking system could do. Most people would undermine any system you throw at them though, so....

·
Registered
394 Posts
On gravel and fluffy snow on a trail I agree ABS is not the best but its calibrated for on pavement. If your having trouble in the snow where ABS is kicking in your going too fast for the conditions. The ABS system activating is proof that the driver is overestimating the traction available and not able to threshold brake properly. If they could brake better than ABS the system would not be activating at all.

Also it's not 1997 anymore. Technology has come a long way since then.

If you can afford to drop 20k on a new car you can afford winter tires.

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
404 Posts
We've gotten near a foot of snow in our area over the last two days. In the plowed and semi-plowed areas my Trailhawk has performed flawlessly, with nary a slip nor slide despite the icy roads.
Today we were coming back from a village south of us and I decided to take a short cut down a gravel road. It didn't look like it had been plowed but other drivers had made two ruts down it so off we went. For the most part the area between the ruts was no more than a foot deep but we suddenly came upon an area where the wind had drifted snow across the road to a depth of at least two feet. It was too late to stop (and I feared I would never get going again) so keeping my left hand on the wheel and my eyes on the road I dropped my right hand to the button on the console to disable the ESC. I kept the pedal to the metal and busted right through the roughly 100 feet of badly drifted road. Hardly any swerving or bad behavior at all! True, it was a fairly light snow but even so, experience with other vehicles in such conditions has not always had a happy ending. Plus, my wife was with me and if I had gotten stuck I never would have heard the end of it...... I'm driving on Michelin All-Season tires and was impressed with how well the Renegade performed.
Good to hear. Where I live drifting snow is the big problem. Haven't had any this winter, oddly enough. of course now that I say that...:)

·
Registered
753 Posts
I've been having much fun driving Lil'Red in the snow. The 225/70R16 Cooper Discoverer AT3s I had mounted on a set of 16" Steelies have been just awesome in the snow.

I don't bother with 'snow mode' ... I hit 4wd-lock and just go. Incredible grabbing power and handling.

Stopping is better than I expected . The ABS in the Renny is most certainly in a different league than I've experienced before.

Wanted to get a good feel for a sudden stop, so today on the way home from the dojo I took advantage of my street being empty. Brought it up to about 30mph and stomped hard on the brakes and held the pedal in-place. Even with a good 5+ inches of snow on the road I was at a complete and very controlled stop in less than 2 car-lengths. You can actually hear the braking as well as feel it in the peddle. If you're new to ABS you'd likely be tempted to let-up on the peddle, but in my experience with ABS that would've been the wrong thing to do.

I can say I feel very comfortable with my Renny's snow-driving capabilities.

Here's to enjoying winter-driving!! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
With all the snow we got in WV over the past month - my TH Renegade did fabulous. My driveway can be a pain to get in and out of in bad weather - one of the reasons I opted for the TH model. Main roads sometimes aren't much better. Put the Renegade in snow mode and off I went to work and back with no issues. Still have the factory Wrangler tires no slipping or sliding of any kind. So far loving my Renegade have over 13,000 miles on it so far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.