Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks I finally got my bull bar from Daystar. I can't post pictures of it as I have exceeded my data limit on the forum site. However I have emailed the pictures to JJ from Madness Autoworks where I ordered it from. And I have asked JJ to post the installed pictures on this thread. As you will see I added 2 small Warn brand fog lights and I also added 2 shackles that I can attach kayak tie down hooks to. Now I can tie down kayaks on both the passenger side and on the drivers side. I also threw away the 2 "L" shaped brackets that Daystar had included. They were supposed to be used so you could not see the interior of the bumper since you have to remove the 2 covers to install the brackets. Instead I had a guy use a dremel tool to cut out holes in those plastic covers so the grill guard brackets could just go through these plastic covers. No need to throw away the covers and I ended up with a nice clean look. And thanks to JJ and Madness.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nice! I had mine put on yesterday at the local audio shop. The dude said it was a painnnnn! He had to call daystar and they were as helpful as a group of circus clowns. Anyways he got it done. He did the same as your guy, as far as cutting slots in the factory grill covers so they could be retained.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
Do you have a facebook page. Post the pics in your personal gallery and then link to this post

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry but I don't do the Facebook thing. I deal with computers all day every work day. When I get home I just don't want to see another computer. Hang tight, JJ from Madness will post the pictures. I just spoke with him about this. Don't know if he will get to it today as it's almost 5:00 his time now. May not get posted until tomorrow.

·
Registered
124 Posts
And surprise surprise I was able to post a picture, sorry it's upside down.
Did you just drill another hole through the plates for the d-ring? I have been looking at the same bull bar and wanted to try the same thing. I thought about having another plate made to fit on the inside of the mount that would thicken up the mounting point for the d-ring.

Erik

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just drilled 2 holes, one on each side of the bar to put the shackles through. Did not have a need to beef them up as I will not use the shackles to pull the car with. I will just use them to tie down the front ends of my kayaks with.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I just drilled 2 holes, one on each side of the bar to put the shackles through. Did not have a need to beef them up as I will not use the shackles to pull the car with. I will just use them to tie down the front ends of my kayaks with.
Is the bull bar strong enough to use the shackles as a recovery point?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Highly doubtful. Look at the pictures of it on the Madness site and you will see that only 2 bolts are used to attach each bracket to the frame of the truck. That makes a total of only 4 bolts holding the bar to the frame of the truck. I would not use it to pull anything. As I mentioned earlier I just use it to tie down the fronts of my kayaks and it's great for attaching fog lights to.

If you need to use a bar to pull your car out of mud then you may want to check into their other bar that's made to have a winch attached to. I don't know how sturdy that one is. Suggest you check into that one.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It appears he just slid D ring over the spot where 2 of the 4 bolts go thru. Bet all it took was longer bolts. Solid idea. Looks killer

·
Registered
124 Posts
It appears he just slid D ring over the spot where 2 of the 4 bolts go thru. Bet all it took was longer bolts. Solid idea. Looks killer
There are only two bolts per side on the bull bar, it is the full winch system that has four bolts plus an opening for the d-ring. He drilled an additional hole in each side per his earlier post.

Erik

·
Registered
89 Posts
Daystar Bull Bar: Installed + Reaction

Well, I got the bull bar installed last night. After waiting since February (the day that Daystar announced them for sale) and just receiving it yesterday, I must say, I'm completely underwhelmed. I imagined it would be bigger, and was really hoping it would look a little better. The blanks get pulled out from the spot where the TrailHawk tow hooks would go, and the bull bar bolts in down there inside of the bumper (instructions attached). I'm just not sure it was worth the $249 I paid for it, as well as waiting for over 3 months
:crying:

Attachments

·
Registered
753 Posts
It's a shame that it an underwhelming product.

Personally I've not liked the look of the bullbars or winch-capable bullbars that have been released for the Ren' - so far. Not enough to foot the bill for buying one, anyways.

What I'm really waiting for is a vendor to get some real cojones and produce a nice offroad bumper. The type you can get for other types of Jeeps. I'm sure it'll take some time, but I have no doubt that it will eventually happen, :)

And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if something that's already been produced might actually fit (maybe with a few hacks and tweaks) our Ren' - there's so many out there already;

Jeep Off Road Front Bumper

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.