Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the Off Road Expo Show today in Pomona, California. I found the Daystar booth and saw the lifted Latitude 4x4 in person, yes it looks nice and the proportions look good.

Trying to get more information I have two false starts with two of the Daystar guys, they said it was two new and it was pucks. Well, fortunately, Mark, the CEO of Daystar came over to talk to me and I got the real story.

So, the kit consists of the Daystart polyurethane discs/pucks (1 3/8") that go at the top of the strut assembly. Next, two new tie rod end links on either front side (I may have the term incorrect). For the rear, there are bolt on control arm brackets that re-center the wheel from the lift. Also on the rear is a bracket to relocate the evaporative canister.

The next thing blew me away, the setup is tested and certified to be FMVSS 126 Compliant (for the Electronic Stability Control Systems). He said the tested it four or five times at a cost of $15K each time. This was one area I thought you may sacrifice with a lift, but Daystar came through.

They have tried it on the 4x4 and 4x2 Latitude and the Trailhawk. Mark said the 1 1/2" lift with the 235/65R17 tires gives a 2" lift total. He said they tried a thicker pucks, 2", but the Renegade just looked out of proportion with so much air between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fender.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ran out of edit time, when your done installing the kit, you need to get an alignment back to factory specs.

The kit will be $399, on sale in the next few weeks, video instructions will be available soon as well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nice! I went with the standard 16" Latitude wheels when I ordered my Renegade. After 13 years of riding around on semi-low profile tires I wanted the most sidewall height I could get to help absorb rough roads.

I wonder how it would look with those, and if I'd be able to get an even larger tire on the same rim, or if it would look disproportionate.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks Tom! This looks promising. Any word on largest tire size that fits with this or is it pretty much 235/65-17?
Using the tire calculator at 1010 tires you fine that the 235/65R17 has a diameter of variance: 3.66% to the stock Trailhawk 215/65R17.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator/215-65R17/235-65R17
WARNING! (from 1010 tire pop up)
When changing tire sizes, we recommend staying within 3% of the diameter of the original tire. Any more than this and you face the risk of brake failure.

This is inline with what Mark said, that the 235/65R17 would give you 3% speedometer error, an he said it was impossible to recalibrate the Renegade speedometer to correct for this (impossible just means no one has figured it out, YET)

So you can play with the calculator and see what other tires will do, but remember, they are FMVSS 126 Compliant (for the Electronic Stability Control Systems) with the tire they tested, the 235/65R17. The test consists of putting outriggers on the vehicle and trying to get it to roll, along with other measures.

The wheel well clearance looks like there is room for bigger tires, but you will be on your own, or someone here has a buddy at a tire shop who can try it, such as these Falken Wildpeaks:
AT01 245/65R17 29x9.50R17
AT01 P235/70R17 30x9.0R17

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice! I went with the standard 16" Latitude wheels when I ordered my Renegade. After 13 years of riding around on semi-low profile tires I wanted the most sidewall height I could get to help absorb rough roads.

I wonder how it would look with those, and if I'd be able to get an even larger tire on the same rim, or if it would look disproportionate.
Trying a 235/65R16 size, which is only a 28" tall tire vs the 235/65R17 which is a 29" tire, the 235/65R16 has a Diameter Variance: 3.79% (this will be your percent error on your speedometer):

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator/215-65R16/235-65R16#size

So, with a 16" tire, your overall vehicle height is less, staying within acceptable speedometer error.

That said, can someone play with their settings menu in your center console display and see if there is a setting that lets you adjust from 16" to 17" tires?

There has to be a setting somewhere since these are both available on the Renegade.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Using the tire calculator at 1010 tires you fine that the 235/65R17 has a diameter of variance: 3.66% to the stock Trailhawk 215/65R17.

The wheel well clearance looks like there is room for bigger tires, but you will be on your own, or someone here has a buddy at a tire shop who can try it.
Thanks Tom - I was really more curious about physical clearance as far as how big a tire can fit in there with the modified height and suspension.

As for the speed variance, I suspect the speedo gearing is done in software, so it's not a simple matter of swapping out some gears to compensate the speedo. Someone will likely figure it out with an ECU reflash.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Tom - I was really more curious about physical clearance as far as how big a tire can fit in there with the modified height and suspension.

As for the speed variance, I suspect the speedo gearing is done in software, so it's not a simple matter of swapping out some gears to compensate the speedo. Someone will likely figure it out with an ECU reflash.
On the rear, there was about 1" of clearance, so you could grow to maybe a 30" or 31" tires. The front clearance seemed similar but could not be sure being unable to turn it lock to lock.

Also, with the right wheels, maybe you can go to 245 wide tires as well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This is awesome! I really think a "modest" lift of an inch and a half is just right for the Renegade. Its not going to look obviously lifted yet will still give enough extra height to make every large rock no longer a "will this be the one that hits" moment.
I was really expecting the price point to be between $1k to $2k for this from my experience going the other direction (lower) with my V8 Miata. Below $400 for a kit that includes parts like redesigned tie rod ends is pretty cool. I do wonder if they managed to source them from some other FCA application or if they designed them for tgis kit themselves. If the latter I'd like reassurances that the parts were designed and manufactured with same or better standards as the original parts. Tie rod ends are not a "I guess that'll work" kind of part.
I'm very excited about this and at that price I can put this on my near future mod list instead of the eventual mod list. Very cool.

-Jason

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
That said, can someone play with their settings menu in your center console display and see if there is a setting that lets you adjust from 16" to 17" tires?

There has to be a setting somewhere since these are both available on the Renegade.

Why. It's not about the size of the wheel, it's about the total diameter. The difference between all the tires is small enough they may have said screw it. It may exist but just be available via the dealer diagnostic tool.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is awesome! I really think a "modest" lift of an inch and a half is just right for the Renegade. Its not going to look obviously lifted yet will still give enough extra height to make every large rock no longer a "will this be the one that hits" moment.
Agreed, I'm thinking a set of wheel spacers or wider offset wheels would really compliment the overall package looks as well.

Below $400 for a kit that includes parts like redesigned tie rod ends is pretty cool. I do wonder if they managed to source them from some other FCA application or if they designed them for tgis kit themselves. If the latter I'd like reassurances that the parts were designed and manufactured with same or better standards as the original parts. Tie rod ends are not a "I guess that'll work" kind of part.
From what I can see they are a larger reputable company, they make tons of products for tons of vehicles, their parts are Guaranteed for Life.

Don't take my word, look up their products and google other forums to see what people think:
http://daystarweb.com/products.php?id=30

They would not have paid $15K to retest the Renegade four or five times to tweak the design if they thought it was good enough. Let alone the cost of all the redesigns and trying it on all models, the 4x2 and 4x4 Latitude and the Trailhawk.

Disclaimer, yes, I'm and engineer and I know what good engineering is, this is a sign of good engineering.

Reactions: rtravis1946

·
Registered
84 Posts
i think i share the same excitement as everyone else about this, yet at the same time I am a little worried, for such a "hi tech" system that the renegade has, you would think a lift kit for it would have cost an arm leg pint of blood and first born... I know I've heard of day star before still a little worried and hoping they didn't skimp on the parts

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
404 Posts
Ran out of edit time, when your done installing the kit, you need to get an alignment back to factory specs.

The kit will be $399, on sale in the next few weeks, video instructions will be available soon as well.
Thanks for the info! Very tempting, although I'd probably wait on bigger tires. I'd have to find someone to install it, too. The more clearance the better with living out in the country and lots of blowing and drifting snow.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Why. It's not about the size of the wheel, it's about the total diameter. The difference between all the tires is small enough they may have said screw it. It may exist but just be available via the dealer diagnostic tool.
I used to work for Cummins (Diesel) and the tire size was determined by an ECU setting with calculated tire revs that could only be set with Dealer-level permissions. Basically, this is the setting that calibrates the speedometer. It generally isn't available as a basic user-decided setting, I'm guessing since there would be a legal liability allowing people to mess with their speedometers.

Different wheel sizes usually have different tire sidewall heights to maintain a consistent overall diameter, I assumed. I could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.