·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
953 Posts
That link isn't working for me.

I remember reading a while ago that the suspension and architecture would make lift kits more difficult or impossible. Is there any truth to that?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nothing voids warranty unless it contributes to a failure. By law.

Reactions: captadv

·
Registered
610 Posts
I would like to lift my Renegade in the near future but am wondering if installing a kit will void any warranties?
Obviously it would void warranty on stock suspension. For the rest, per law, the vehicle's manufacturer has to prove that your aftermarket parts are the cause the problem before they could void your vehicle warranty.

I've heard if the dealer installs it, it can still be warrantied.. But not from an ultra reliable source ��
Pure fantasy.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
In the US, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, keeps dealers from denying warranty coverage unless they can prove the mod contributed to the warranty failure:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/keeping-your-mods-warranty-intact.html

Since Jeep dealers are use to dealing with owners modding their Jeeps, you should not have problems. It helps to do all your service with them, oil changes, etc. so you are a known customer, that way if some issue arises they will be more on your side.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nothing voids warranty unless it contributes to a failure. By law.
^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^

Basically, if you lift your Jeep and the Bluetooth on the radio stops working, they can't deny your warranty claim because one thing had nothing to do with the other.

If you lift your Jeep and wear out an outer CV joint prematurely, they could deny a claim for that, since the lift might have caused the failure.

·
Registered
953 Posts
^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^

Basically, if you lift your Jeep and the Bluetooth on the radio stops working, they can't deny your warranty claim because one thing had nothing to do with the other.

If you lift your Jeep and wear out an outer CV joint prematurely, they could deny a claim for that, since the lift might have caused the failure.
But often they will try to connect it to that even if it is a pretty far jump.

·
Registered
607 Posts

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
The kit looks good. I love how they show it on a Lattitude dwarfing a stock Trailhawk.

-Jason
Good catch. I didn't even noticed that. Looks good.
Would love to see the reviews once it comes out.

TS

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
But often they will try to connect it to that even if it is a pretty far jump.
Here is one trick to find a Jeep Dealer you want to deal with long term, for maintenance. Call around and talk directly and personally to the Service Writers. Get a feel how the dealership handles mods. I had one say, when I worked at XYZ dealer we did that, but this dealer is much better, thank you, hang up, repeat, by the time I talked to the Service Manager, I was convinced I would have no problems. Also, ask for the their advice before hand, if I did this ABC mod, any concerns or cautions you recommend?

And last, Mark, the Daystar CEO, said he always has his local dealership do the realignment after the Lift Kit is installed, this way your keeping your dealer in the loop, giving them business, and and if anything goes wrong, you can point out they did the alignment.

·
Registered
610 Posts
And last, Mark, the Daystar CEO, said he always has his local dealership do the realignment after the Lift Kit is installed, this way your keeping your dealer in the loop, giving them business, and and if anything goes wrong, you can point out they did the alignment.
That is a great tip.

There are even dealers who are supportive of the aftermarket and even carry/install aftermarket parts (Donavee Jeep in Placentia, CA comes to mind... used to be, it's since changed hands. Don't know how they are now).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes but this could be argued to have contributed to most mechanical failures.
Whether it did or did not.

In regards to suspension, I would agree. An engine or transmission failure, though? I think they would have a hard time justifying that.

·
Super Moderator
3,380 Posts
In regards to suspension, I would agree. An engine or transmission failure, though? I think they would have a hard time justifying that.
Not once you put huge wheels and tires on it. It changes the gear ratios, more unsprung mass, longer moment arm, etc.

So it could be argued that it caused PTU, transmission, differential failure, suspension failure, steering failure, brake failure, wheel bearings, etc. as it is directly interacting with those systems.

1 - 20 of 216 Posts