Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like my 2015 1.4l Renegade Sport, 5000 miles has a dead battery. It is on a maintenance charger, but it doesn't look like it will revive. I will call dealership for assistance tomorrow-and expect a new battery at a minimum...I do not have keyless ignition, just a standard key. Will post with a resolution-
Scott

· Registered
261 Posts
Had the same problem. Dealer replaced my battery within warranty with a far better one (since I have the keyless entry and start&stop system).
Everything has been fine since then.

Fyi the battery I have now is this one: http://www.exide.info/el600

· Registered
99 Posts
I had this happen this week. 11 months old, 6400 miles on the Renegade. Sat for about a week while I was out of town and the battery died. Once it's dead the key is locked into the ignition. : (

I was able to jump start it (thank goodness my '05 Nissan Titan is solid as a rock) but the trickle charger would not hold at all. I called the dealer, jump started it and drove it over to them. They replaced the battery under warranty as it had a bad cell. They also offered the suggestion to disconnect the battery if it was going to sit to avoid any misc. discharge. uhhh....huh? say 'what'? : ) silly dealers....

Rick

· Registered
1,633 Posts
. . . They also offered the suggestion to disconnect the battery if it was going to sit to avoid any misc. discharge. . .
Typical.

Ask that dealer if they disconnect the batteries on all the cars in their lot.

Many new cars sit for quite some time if there is no customer interest. If a battery has gone dead after a few weeks, something is wrong.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I had this happen to me last week, after the car sat for 4 days. The service tech called yesterday and said that the battery was fine and they did not replace. So I have been watching the voltage display. Which goes down to 12.4 overnight, but yesterday, I left it from noon to this am and it went down to 11.6. I am thinking this is going to be an issue. He suggested I regularly start it, I really don't think this can be a good thing.

· Registered
261 Posts
Hello, I had this happen to me last week, after the car sat for 4 days. The service tech called yesterday and said that the battery was fine and they did not replace. So I have been watching the voltage display. Which goes down to 12.4 overnight, but yesterday, I left it from noon to this am and it went down to 11.6. I am thinking this is going to be an issue. He suggested I regularly start it, I really don't think this can be a good thing.
If the battery is fine, then you may have a power drainage somewhere.
Have you installed an alarm or something similar?

If not, I believe that the battery is the issue. Can you please check and let us know the specs of your battery? Also, do you have a start n stop system and a keyless entry?

I leave my Reni sitting idle for a week, and the battery is still at 12.4
I think that at 11.6 it might not even start-up (or it will straggle to start-up).

So fore sure check what is the problem, otherwise you may end up stranded somewhere.

As advised above, I had similar issues with you so I had a friend electrician to check it before I go to the dealer.
It turned out that not only the battery was not good, but it was WAY under powered (very low starting Amps) for the specific car (I have startNstop and keyless entry).
So I took the Jeep to the dealer and demanded for a battery replacement.
The agreed with me and they replaced my battery under warranty with a very strong one - fit for my Jeep's needs).
This is what I got: http://www.exide.info/el600

· Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
Had the same problem. Dealer replaced my battery within warranty with a far better one (since I have the keyless entry and start&stop system).
Everything has been fine since then.

Fyi the battery I have now is this one: http://www.exide.info/el600
Maybe you can answer a question for me then.

Stock, the Positive terminal is wired into a block that is screwed into the battery. Is there a place to screw it into that battery or is it just left being retained by tension on the positive terminal?

· Registered
261 Posts
This "thing" is just a plastic cover to protect the positive terminal.
Under this plastic cover, the "positive" cables are tightly and firmly screwed on the positive terminal. There is not even quick release for the positive terminal.

· Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
This "thing" is just a plastic cover to protect the positive terminal.
Under this plastic cover, the "positive" cables are tightly and firmly screwed on the positive terminal. There is not even quick release for the positive terminal.

Its protecting a distribution bus. It doesn't look like something that wants to be left flopping about. Which is why I asked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.