Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I discovered that my Sport does not come with at least a donut and jack. When I saw them missing, I referenced the equipment sheet to see that it indeed says I only have a pump with some tire seal goop. I was, however informed by the dealer himself at the time that the vehicle has a spare tire and jack. In hindsight I should have checked. It's not a total deal breaker and I still love the vehicle, but I very specifically asked about the spare and he was being very impatient. Am I within my rights to ask him to provide me with the donut? My wife can back my claim as she was there when I asked.

Thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was afraid of. He wasn't a good communicator but the deal was solid and I got some free accessories at least ;). I don't like the idea of a sealant kit at all, but I can play with the cards I'm dealt.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The full size temporary use spare is available as an option on the sport, limited, and latitude trim levels. Its is not available when a trailer tow package is ordered on the latitude or limited. The full size spare is only available on the Trailhawk trim level. I'm just curious did he tell you that your vehicle came with AC as standard? AC on the Sport is an option and unless your Sport was special ordered that way it dosent have it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
That's what I was afraid of. He wasn't a good communicator but the deal was solid and I got some free accessories at least
. I don't like the idea of a sealant kit at all, but I can play with the cards I'm dealt.
You should be able to order the temporary spare or full sized spare. If your going to take it off road you will want the full sized spare.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, the spare was the only thing discussed aside from the business transaction and accessories. Mine has AC and uconnect with backup cam, but it was ordered by the dealership that way in some sort of bulk deal on their end. I was aware of them not being standard, however.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Little Known Tidbits

My wife bought a Latitude and it has a full size spare on a steel wheel. Never noticed it to be an option. Why would you sell a car without a spare? Been seeing some really strange stuff with these neat little Renegades. Just found today that the ScanGauge device has the ability, all by itself, to turn on the Check Engine light on even though the manufacturer of the gauge says it is impossible. The car does eventually turn it off after not finding an actual fault, but strange. Also, you can do an update to the Uconnect radio using a USB device on a Trailhawk but not on a Latitude. They have the same radio but the update works on one but not the other. Local service manager can attest to this, he spent 3 hours trying to get his computer to reset the radio on the Latitude when it locked up tighter than a drum. Also, did you know you can not replace the battery in a Renegade. When the battery needs replacing it has to be done by a dealer with a mopar computer so they can make the car run again afterwards, that from the service manager where I bought the car when I asked him if it was ok to remove the battery terminals to install a trickle charger. I'm sure there are more things to learn, this is only after three weeks with the cars and less than a thousand miles.
:ReneBlueWave:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting. I found a lot of the information in the manual itself surprising. I'm coming from a completely computer free Cherokee to this little spaceship, though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We did the same thing. I asked if it came with a full sized spare and he showed us a 4WD model that had a full sized spare. I made it clear we did not want a donut. We looked around some more and found a 2WD model my wife liked so we bought it thinking it had a spare. A week later my wife was showing it to her brother. He asked where they put the spare and when she showed him she discovered there was no spare/ no jack/ no tolls. It did come with a 12volt air pump. I called back and spoke to the salesman that at first sounded surprised that there was no spare. But the deal was done and they would not give us a spare. They did agree to sell us a spare and jack at a discount. My wife was so mad she ordered the spare and jack off of the web. This was Bill Luke Jeep in Phoenix. We feel we have been had.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We did the same thing. I asked if it came with a full sized spare and he showed us a 4WD model that had a full sized spare. I made it clear we did not want a donut. We looked around some more and found a 2WD model my wife liked so we bought it thinking it had a spare. A week later my wife was showing it to her brother. He asked where they put the spare and when she showed him she discovered there was no spare/ no jack/ no tolls. It did come with a 12volt air pump. I called back and spoke to the salesman that at first sounded surprised that there was no spare. But the deal was done and they would not give us a spare. They did agree to sell us a spare and jack at a discount. My wife was so mad she ordered the spare and jack off of the web. This was Bill Luke Jeep in Phoenix. We feel we have been had.
What was the price they quoted you? I'm Very surprised that dealers don't know much about their own vehicles. I think I've seen the kit online for 350 or so. I might just wait a couple years till stuff becomes cheap for it though.

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey folks, I discovered that my Sport does not come with at least a donut and jack. When I saw them missing, I referenced the equipment sheet to see that it indeed says I only have a pump with some tire seal goop. I was, however informed by the dealer himself at the time that the vehicle has a spare tire and jack. In hindsight I should have checked. It's not a total deal breaker and I still love the vehicle, but I very specifically asked about the spare and he was being very impatient. Am I within my rights to ask him to provide me with the donut? My wife can back my claim as she was there when I asked.

Thanks!
There's a real good chance the salesman had no idea, or was just simply mistaken. Everyone makes mistakes. I used to sell Jeeps myself and have made errors like that once or twice.

·
Registered
211 Posts
What was the price they quoted you? I'm Very surprised that dealers don't know much about their own vehicles. I think I've seen the kit online for 350 or so. I might just wait a couple years till stuff becomes cheap for it though.
So like I mentioned, I used to sell Jeeps. The training salesperson are given are the shittiest little online lectures/quizes. It really just comes down to experience and getting to know the car. The renegade is a new vehicle. Anyone who tries to come off as an expert on them at a dealer is bullshitting you. Fact of the matter is, the car has been out for under a year and it comes with a million options.

·
Registered
106 Posts
In my recent experiences with both Fiat and Jeep sales folks, I hold them to their word. I was told my vehicle came with floor mats and I got my floor mats. However, things like that are less of a hassle than trying to get a full size spare thats listed as an option. I can't say I was surprised about the spare not being included but I sure was disappointed. It wasn't a big deal not having a full size spare in the Abarth but this being a larger vehicle, I'm going to look into getting a spare.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks a bunch for the replies and link. I did some research on the tire goop and shook off my initial anger. I've never used it but it's not a bad deal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks a bunch for the replies and link. I did some research on the tire goop and shook off my initial anger. I've never used it but it's not a bad deal.
It's all a trade-off. Having the spare tire reduces the storage space : Not having a spare tire adds some mobility risk : Not having a spare tire cuts costs. The "bet" one makes oneself is whether a future tire failure will not be severe enough to exceed the inflation-seal kit's capability, because if the failure is too severe, towing to some probably-unfamiliar location becomes mandatory. For me, I don't need the extra storage space and for $200-300 the peace of mind that if my spouse has a flat, she can get home without too much hassle. The spare tire can be reused while the inflation-seal kit requires some purchased replacement,

Whether the customer has a spare tire kit added as part of the deal or acquires the kit afterwards, the customer pays for it in some fashion. There is no free lunch.

As mentioned earlier, it's getting to the point where maker-installed spare tires are becoming the exception rather than the rule.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The sealant in the repair kit will work, but when you take the tire to get it properly repaired they will probably not
be able to repair it with the sealant inside tire. I knew about the spare tire missing when I purchased the Renegade.

I ordered a emergency spare tire kit with jack. It's a 16" wheel, I have 17" wheels on the Renegade so the spare is
a little smaller diameter than the stock tires. I don't think there is a change to the final drive ratio when upgrade
wheels are added, the diameter should be corrected by the tire height profile. In my case it doesn't. Cost was
$249.95 + shipping.

If I have a flat on the rear it will not be a problem but if on the front I wouldn't want to drive it very far.

My sales person told us the fuel tank was 18-19 gallons size. I was disappointed that it is only 12+ gallons.
That said the fuel will last longer than I can drive without a break.

Clifton

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The "no spare tire" as a standard situation is definitely not just a Renegade situation. I've bought several vehicles in the last ten years and verifying the spare tire is routine. If one wants a real eye-opener, check out which of the supposed top-end vehicles not only don't come with a spare tire, but don't even offer it as an option. It's now just the way things are.

https://www.texas.aaa.com/content/dam/ace/LOB/automotive/Vehicles_without_a_spare_tire_Jan_2014.pdf
Whoa, you weren't kidding! Turns out the fix-a-flat or whatever comes with vehicles nowadays is perfectly fine for a minor puncture and can be patched. It probably won't make the tech's day to clean out all that crap but it's better than a new tire :laugh:.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.