Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
(not sure if this is the right forum - i'm new to this forum stuff)

I miss my Jeep Renegade Trailhawk. It went back into the shop after only four days being able to drive it.

After the second day, a bright message popped up in the middle of the gauge cluster and said: "SERV 4WD 4WD CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE"

I thought it was just a tiny glitch on the second day, but I noted it. Two days later, Monday morning going into work, it was still very dark out and the message kept popping up almost randomly in the gauge cluster. A bigger problem is that this message doesn't acknowledge the dimming of the interior lights/gauges and shines at full brightness level. Blinding and very, very dangerous. Ever few minutes it would flash. Imagine, driving down a dark highway with the cluster dimmed - then suddenly a bright light from within the vehicle shines directly in your face from a couple feet away.

My Renegade is in the shop, since Wednesday (4/1/2015) night. They said there were numerous error codes in the transmission.

They found the defective Power Transfer Unit and had to order a new one. The new one won't arrive until next week Wednesday (4/8/2015).

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I love this vehicle.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else has the same issue. It would be interesting to know if it is faulty engineering, a bad batch of several or just an isolated incident.

Take care,
Quark

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the correct "sub-forum"?

Although this isn't really the correct sub-forum, it will do nicely for now as since the Renegade is so new it is nice to know what's going on quickly with new purchases. Keep us updated!
What is the correct sub-forum? I looked and couldn't find one related to the topic.

Thanks,
Quark

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hopefully this is an isolated incident and not a common occurrence.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Hopefully this is an isolated incident and not a common occurrence.
Absolutely. And here and now is the best time to post whatever codes and fixes the repair sheet lists. Will help everyone tremendously in the future.

And good luck. We're on your side.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure if related but...

I was test driving a Latitude in Atlanta and it completely lost power as the salesman was pulling it back onto the lot. They couldn't get it to restart and had to push her out of the way for other cars coming in from test drive. Scary and thank goddess we had 1) not been on the highway and 2) had switched places to get back into the dealership

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE #1: Day 10

Hello, here is an update on the issue and what they've found:

Today is Friday, Apr-10-2015.

The dealership had to order a new "Power Transfer Unit". It arrived on Thursday, Apr-8-2015; a day late.

The technician worked on it all day and had encountered more issues. I don't know any of the codes yet, but after finally getting the new Power Transfer Case installed, it didn't work. They were on the phone with "STAR" - which, I was told, is a corporate support number to the engineers or something.

They couldn't fix it. Today, they spent all day on the phone with more engineers and are checking all the wiring - they thought that maybe a wire is loose. The engineers said something must've burnt out and to look for charring. There is no charring or melting. Additionally, there is another part that they think they need, but it currently doesn't appear in any of the "order-able" parts lists. It is so new, there is no part number assigned to it yet and it doesn't appear to exist, yet.

The vehicle is still being worked on and investigated.

I spoke with two of the top dogs at the dealership (which, by the way is a fantastic dealership with fantastic support and professionalism - www.NWJEEP.com) and we very briefly mentioned alternative options - such as buy-back or vehicle replacement - but it is too early to go down that path. The "rules" indicate the vehicle is either an non-reparable safety issue or it the vehicle is in service for a cumulative total of 30 days. We are on day 10 and by Monday, it will be day 13.

However, they left me with a distinct impression that they are handling this seriously and with full effort; at this point, that is the best I could hope.

On Monday, they expect to contact me with further details and perhaps a plan to discuss other options.

Quark :crying:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Wow, that stinks. It seems like they are throwing parts at it without knowing what the real problem is. Hopefully, they will send in some expert who knows the system and get it resolved.

Please let us all know what they find.

·
Registered
25 Posts
(not sure if this is the right forum - i'm new to this forum stuff)

I miss my Jeep Renegade Trailhawk. It went back into the shop after only four days being able to drive it.

After the second day, a bright message popped up in the middle of the gauge cluster and said: "SERV 4WD 4WD CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE"

I thought it was just a tiny glitch on the second day, but I noted it. Two days later, Monday morning going into work, it was still very dark out and the message kept popping up almost randomly in the gauge cluster. A bigger problem is that this message doesn't acknowledge the dimming of the interior lights/gauges and shines at full brightness level. Blinding and very, very dangerous. Ever few minutes it would flash. Imagine, driving down a dark highway with the cluster dimmed - then suddenly a bright light from within the vehicle shines directly in your face from a couple feet away.

My Renegade is in the shop, since Wednesday (4/1/2015) night. They said there were numerous error codes in the transmission.

They found the defective Power Transfer Unit and had to order a new one. The new one won't arrive until next week Wednesday (4/8/2015).

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I love this vehicle.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else has the same issue. It would be interesting to know if it is faulty engineering, a bad batch of several or just an isolated incident.

Take care,
Quark
Yes is the control unit problem. Call the customer care, you have to update the software.
see this:
http://vitalysmobileautodiagnostics...rnational-software-updates-2015-jeep-renegade

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE #2: Day 41

Hello, here is an update on the issue and what they've found:

Today is Friday, Apr-10-2015.

The dealership had to order a new "Power Transfer Unit". It arrived on Thursday, Apr-8-2015; a day late.

The technician worked on it all day and had encountered more issues. I don't know any of the codes yet, but after finally getting the new Power Transfer Case installed, it didn't work. They were on the phone with "STAR" - which, I was told, is a corporate support number to the engineers or something.

They couldn't fix it. Today, they spent all day on the phone with more engineers and are checking all the wiring - they thought that maybe a wire is loose. The engineers said something must've burnt out and to look for charring. There is no charring or melting. Additionally, there is another part that they think they need, but it currently doesn't appear in any of the "order-able" parts lists. It is so new, there is no part number assigned to it yet and it doesn't appear to exist, yet.

The vehicle is still being worked on and investigated.

On Monday, they expect to contact me with further details and perhaps a plan to discuss other options.

Quark
Well, Today is May-11-2015, Day 41. The Power Transfer Unit was replaced. Some wiring was replaced. Many hours were spent with the technicians/engineers at FCA and the service techs at the dealership. They were unable to determine what is happening.

A buy back was initiated not long after my first update. FCA has asked for the vehicle for further study and analysis. I expect to have my replacement Renegade Trailhawk this week. While I'm happy that I'm getting a replacement vehicle, with some additional options, it hasn't been a walk in the park. The coordinating of the effort between all parties has been a little more difficult than I had hoped. The duration is a killer. I have a loaner car, but it is a tiny Dodge Dart and I can't even go up into the hills to do my hiking - roads require a 4x4 to get to the trails I hike.

Quark

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Well, that's the best thing to have happened; a replacement car. If they did fix the original car, you would always wonder if additional problems would surface. And they can take the original car and hopefully find every fault. That may benefit us all.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Being early adopters comes with its risks. Thank you for "taking one for the team" and sharing your experience. I hope your new one is trouble free and the new options provide additional satisfaction ��

·
Registered
610 Posts
How much money are you loosing through the buy-back? if any? Only asking because of the smoking steering column thread. This is not making Jeep look very good... despite how good the car looks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Quark, thanks for the update.
At this point, new vehicle really is the best thing.

The original has been pulled apart several times and once that happens once too many, there are usually 100&1 rattles and squeaks in the dash.

Here's hoping that the new one is cherry.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not losing any money through the buy back. I am getting full MSRP credit for the original and I have to pay the difference on additional options on the new one, plus taxes only on the new options. The way I look at it - the way it makes most sense - is that I got the car I wanted with the options I wanted (mostly) for about $900 below MSRP. Which essentially is the original deal I received. It all works out fine. The loan didn't change. I paid cash for the additional options; so no refinancing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE #3 - On 5/15/2015 - I got the replacement vehicle! (finally)

The new Trailhawk is awesome! I put 550 miles on it over the last 2 days. Took it rock climbing and tested the Rock Climbing mode as well as the Hill Descent control -- this thing handles like a champ on and off the trail.

I have some great pics to post - but it appears I can't post them using the iPad. I'll post them tomorrow.

No error messages, no warning lights. The first vehicle exhibited issues in the first 150'ish (street) miles.

I am going to schedule appointment to ensure the Techs apply all applicable Tech Service Bulletins (TSB). Like the firmware update for the Power Transfer Unit (or something like that). I've reviewed the "Plug Issue" and found it to be a non issue. It appears that several "holes" exist to drain the fluids out of areas they get into. Just to be sure - the techs will review this a third time.

I'm getting amazing support from the dealership (NWJeep.com).

Quark

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the update. Now you can enjoy your new car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.