Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for a 9AT to have an abnormally long delayed shift from first to second when it is cold and first driven out of the garage at any time during the day?

I have a slight downgrade on the street in one direction and an upgrade in the other direction. The shift delay is not changed when cold in either direction.

My dealer in Koblenz mentioned that he made an update, in the onboard computer, that might correct the problem.

·
Super Moderator
3,378 Posts
Well mines a TH, so the hard shift was 2-3 since the TH starts in 2 when in automatic mode.

But it was uncommon. Then at some point I got a flash form the dealer that made it WAY worse. Like 3-4 times a week. It also induced some other bad shifting behavior. I complained about it and there had been some new firmware since the last time which reduced it a LOT. Maybe once a month.

Not sure if it is what you are referring to, but it also isn't something that happens if I back up first. Park on the street for a while Or back into a space at work and just pull straight out after a full day being parked, and it might happen. Since the last update, I get one maybe once a month. Probably a bit less.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Raz-O,
sorry to hear you had trans problems too. I don't think mine is too serious. I don't think it is normal. However, I will baby it until it is warmed up.

I believe that a automatic transmission should shift the same cold, warm or hot (under the same driving conditions). Unless of course there is a problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Exact same problem on my 9 speed petrol and it's driving me nuts. Unless the transmission has warmed up, it holds high revs in 1-2-3 and is so slow to change that you have to rev it to nearly 4000 just to change up. It's had a update which made it marginally better but it's still rubbish. The 15 year old CVT in the other car is so much better than this 9 speed :(

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
In most cases, the 9 speed transmission starts out in 2nd.
It is normal (in my case) that the transmission takes a bit to shift when cold.

Once it warms up, no issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've found that on mine, it starts off in 1st gear when the engine / transmission is cold (usually first drive of the day). Thereafter, it starts in 2nd and also when stopped at the lights.

Whilst in 1st though, it absolutely revs its nuts off trying to change into 2nd. The problem is worse the colder it is and the dealers here all fob you off saying "well that's the way it's suppose to work". Going to take it in for one last look over (the previous "update" the dealer did was pointless and just set the transmission to relearn the driving - about as useful as a motorcyle ashtray), and then it's a formal complaint to Jeep.

Really like the car but the 9 speed transmission totally sucks and completely ruins the rest of the drive. Won't be keeping the Renegade for sure if it can't be sorted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is it normal for a 9AT to have an abnormally long delayed shift from first to second when it is cold and first driven out of the garage at any time during the day?

I have a slight downgrade on the street in one direction and an upgrade in the other direction. The shift delay is not changed when cold in either direction.

My dealer in Koblenz mentioned that he made an update, in the onboard computer, that might correct the problem.
And is it fixed after upgrade?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've found that on mine, it starts off in 1st gear when the engine / transmission is cold (usually first drive of the day). Thereafter, it starts in 2nd and also when stopped at the lights.

Whilst in 1st though, it absolutely revs its nuts off trying to change into 2nd. The problem is worse the colder it is and the dealers here all fob you off saying "well that's the way it's suppose to work". Going to take it in for one last look over (the previous "update" the dealer did was pointless and just set the transmission to relearn the driving - about as useful as a motorcyle ashtray), and then it's a formal complaint to Jeep.

Really like the car but the 9 speed transmission totally sucks and completely ruins the rest of the drive. Won't be keeping the Renegade for sure if it can't be sorted.
What a pity ! Allo Mr Jeep ...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Related to this, does anyone know why the Jeep starts in 1st gear when cold and first setting off? At all other times, mine (a limited 4x4 with the 9 speed) starts in 2nd when parked up, engine switched off and on again, at the traffic lights, etc. Leave it for a few hours, switch on the engine and it starts off in 1st again but only when cold.

The change between 1st and 2nd is really sluggish and jerky, have to really rev the engine to force it but usually, I end up just using manual which kinda defeats the point of getting an auto. If it starts in 2nd, it's much better so I'm wondering what determines if you set off in 1st or 2nd. And wheter there's an actual fix. My dealer insists this is normal behaviour and has reset the transmission to relearn but it hasn't made any difference and I reckon they're just fobbing me off.

Have to say that this slushbox is the strangest one I've ever had the misfortune to drive :(

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Related to this, does anyone know why the Jeep starts in 1st gear when cold and first setting off? At all other times, mine (a limited 4x4 with the 9 speed) starts in 2nd when parked up, engine switched off and on again, at the traffic lights, etc. Leave it for a few hours, switch on the engine and it starts off in 1st again but only when cold.

The change between 1st and 2nd is really sluggish and jerky, have to really rev the engine to force it but usually, I end up just using manual which kinda defeats the point of getting an auto. If it starts in 2nd, it's much better so I'm wondering what determines if you set off in 1st or 2nd. And wheter there's an actual fix. My dealer insists this is normal behaviour and has reset the transmission to relearn but it hasn't made any difference and I reckon they're just fobbing me off.

Have to say that this slushbox is the strangest one I've ever had the misfortune to drive :(
Thanks for reaching out on here, Dark Horse.
I'm certainly concerned in hearing the troubles you may be experiencing with your Renegade. Please know that we rely on the professional diagnosis of our dealers, as they are certified to assess your Jeep. If you continue to experience the concerns you are sharing, we suggest getting a second opinion from another dealership. Feel free to send us a private message in the future if you have any additional questions, or require additional assistance during a service.

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Registered
25 Posts
Follow up on this. Dealer is insistent that "setting off in 1st gear when engine is cold" is normal to protect the garbox and quoted the owners manual that says "during cold temperatures, transmission operation may be modified depending on engine and transmission temperature as well as engine speed. This feature improves warm up time of the engine and transmission to achieve maximum efficiency."

Frankly, I think that's nonsense. If I start the car and drive forward for 10 secs (until it auto shifts from 1st to 2nd) and then park up, it will still remain in 2nd. I really don't understand why the transmission has been programmed to start in 1st when cold yet the performance is so much better and smoother when it starts in 2nd when cold. Furthermore, if starting in 1st is to protect the gearbox / engine / torque / whatever, why does it never go back into 1st when it's shifted into 2nd, even if you've driven it for half a minute and then stopped?

Spoke to a few others dealers but their stock answers are all the same; "bring it here, we'll plug it into 'diagnostics' and charge you 150 quid for the privilege of telling you that there's nothing wrong. Oh, and a courtesy car whilst we do nothing with yours will cost about £30 extra per day".

The two TSB's that have already been applied are 21-013-16B and 21-042-17, neither of which has made a blind bit of difference. Dealers are claiming there are no further updates to try although the 9-Speed ZF Transmission Problems would suggest otherwise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts