Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Detailed my Renegade Trailhawk! This one actually gets used off road! Just means I get to detail it more! A couple pictures of it being a Jeep and then some before shots...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Then I rinsed it down and used DP Iron Remover on the wheels and sides of the body, followed by decon with a mitt:

Then gave it a foam bath with Meguire's D110...

Didn't get any "in progress shots" other than those, so here is the finished product!

Used DG 111/601 with a black finishing pad on the paint. Didn't see the need for polishing, minimal swirls, if any, and the 601 is good for prepping the paint! I cleaned the engine bay with BF APC 4:1 and conditioned it with DG 253. Cleaned the wheels and Huskyliners with D110, finished them off with DG 253. Inside, I used BF APC at 10:1 on all the plastics and topped them with Ultima Interior Protectant. On the leather, I used Gyeon mild leather cleaner and Leather Shield. I am very pleased with both the leather shield and Ultima interior protectant. I am a freak about keeping the OEM matte-finish on everything and these are both invisible - keeps the new look IMO.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I really, really, REALLY want to detail my engine, I did on every vehicle I've ever owned. But I am quite literally afraid to get water or cleanser anywhere near the wiring of this engine. I truly believe water will free the gremlins and they'll run amok.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really, really, REALLY want to detail my engine, I did on every vehicle I've ever owned. But I am quite literally afraid to get water or cleanser anywhere near the wiring of this engine. I truly believe water will free the gremlins and they'll run amok.
It'll be okay, it's a Jeep, its pretty well sealed. I've always used a pressure washer since it puts less water out. Then I used my APC and a wheel woolly to scrub it down then rinsed and blew it dry with my blower. No issues, just don't point right at the alternator. Can't remember on the other Rene engines, but at least on mine the coil packs are covered up.

·
Registered
2021 Renegade Trailhawk - 1.3T, Toyo AT3s, Valkyrie Skids
28 Posts
Then I rinsed it down and used DP Iron Remover on the wheels and sides of the body, followed by decon with a mitt:

Then gave it a foam bath with Meguire's D110...

Didn't get any "in progress shots" other than those, so here is the finished product!

Used DG 111/601 with a black finishing pad on the paint. Didn't see the need for polishing, minimal swirls, if any, and the 601 is good for prepping the paint! I cleaned the engine bay with BF APC 4:1 and conditioned it with DG 253. Cleaned the wheels and Huskyliners with D110, finished them off with DG 253. Inside, I used BF APC at 10:1 on all the plastics and topped them with Ultima Interior Protectant. On the leather, I used Gyeon mild leather cleaner and Leather Shield. I am very pleased with both the leather shield and Ultima interior protectant. I am a freak about keeping the OEM matte-finish on everything and these are both invisible - keeps the new look IMO.
How you liking those Rocky Road Super Sliders? I want a pair, but I'm super worried about the drilling and introduction of rust there with all the damn salt on roads here in Chicago.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks great...What brand Rock Sliders are those?
Rocky Road Super Sliders!
How you liking those Rocky Road Super Sliders? I want a pair, but I'm super worried about the drilling and introduction of rust there with all the damn salt on roads here in Chicago.
I was super worried about that too, but I don't see it being an issue. For the holes in the body, you can paint them, they're well covered by the doors and you use rubber well nuts - no metal on metal contact. I painted the holes, then wiped the well nuts down with Sil-glyde. I actually think it'll be better than the OEM plastic fasteners, those could rub the paint down and would be harder to remove, and don't seal as well. Plus, you can take the bolts out of those well nuts and spray fluid film in. On the pinch seam, the rest of the Jeep will rust around that. Still painted those holes, but I have rock rails on my liberty and have not had issues with rust there from drilling into it.

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L (Former Vehicle)
752 Posts
Great job! Off roading is always a happy/sad moment for me as I love the thrill of it and have a huge grin 😁, but am always crying inside as I love a sparkling clean Jeep 😩.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great job! Off roading is always a happy/sad moment for me as I love the thrill of it and have a huge grin 😁, but am always crying inside as I love a sparkling clean Jeep 😩.
Thanks! At least the Jeeps look great either way!

Reactions: JasoninDLH

·
Registered
2021 Renegade Trailhawk - 1.3T, Toyo AT3s, Valkyrie Skids
28 Posts
Rocky Road Super Sliders!

I was super worried about that too, but I don't see it being an issue. For the holes in the body, you can paint them, they're well covered by the doors and you use rubber well nuts - no metal on metal contact. I painted the holes, then wiped the well nuts down with Sil-glyde. I actually think it'll be better than the OEM plastic fasteners, those could rub the paint down and would be harder to remove, and don't seal as well. Plus, you can take the bolts out of those well nuts and spray fluid film in. On the pinch seam, the rest of the Jeep will rust around that. Still painted those holes, but I have rock rails on my liberty and have not had issues with rust there from drilling into it.
That’s really great advice. I’m leaning rocky road sliders now. I’ll be sure to lather everything up in FF or ACF50.

Out of curiosity - when you say painted, did you use touch up paint or do anything special there? I ask the details because you seem much more methodical/thorough than most! I’m just learning here.

And last question, the RR Sliders come with those rubber well nuts? This puts me at ease about the whole installation. You rock - seriously. I owe you a beer or whatever your preferred beverage is.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That’s really great advice. I’m leaning rocky road sliders now. I’ll be sure to lather everything up in FF or ACF50.

Out of curiosity - when you say painted, did you use touch up paint or do anything special there? I ask the details because you seem much more methodical/thorough than most! I’m just learning here.

And last question, the RR Sliders come with those rubber well nuts? This puts me at ease about the whole installation. You rock - seriously. I owe you a beer or whatever your preferred beverage is.
I just bought some Rustoleum high performance spray paint in a color that looks like Sting Gray, I can see what it was for you, but doesn't have to be perfect, it'll be covered up. And yes, it came with the well nuts and all the other hardware. I actually replaced the bolts/nuts/washers on the piachseam with ecoguard treated ones, supposed to be a lot better for salt resistance than normal yellow or clear zinc. I had to buy a big quantity of it all so I have lots of extras, if you want I'd be happy to send some your way!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts