Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been planning to purchase the 2016 renegade.:ReneBlueWave:
My husband has a Wrangler. I like the idea of the Renegade because it has a lot better fuel economy but still has off-road capabilities.

However, when looking up reviews, I found so many issues reported with the 2015 Renegade that I don't know if I should even consider the Renegade: Brakes issues, engine not turning/starting, transmission issues, door locks not working, key getting stuck in the ignition, electrical problems, wrong parts coming in from overseas, antilock brakes causing person to hydroplane and get in an accident, only uses European Freon and can't check radiator fluid yourself (only at the dealership), engine failure, battery dying/draining, leaking washer fluid pump, serpentine belt cracking, so on and so forth. Many people reported having to take their vehicle in several times within months and stated they regretting their purchase on the reviews.

Does anyone know if corrections have been made to the 2016 Renegade based on issues discovered on the 2015 model?

· Registered
132 Posts
I've had my 2015 for a little over 3 months/4000+ miles...no issues at all. Don't know what you mean about the radiator fluid. You can check the level at the reservoir and to be on the safe side , use the recommended coolant the manual states to if you need to top off. I think if you read all vehicle forums you'll get the same issues you read here. Most people probably have no problems at all with their Renegade. I have a friend with a Nissan Rogue. He recently had an issue with the push button start. A couple times over the course of a couple weeks when he pushed the button, it wouldn't start or doing anything. He tried again and it started. He thought it was an issue so he eventually went to the dealership. They didn't find any issues and gave him a new key fob. Perhaps cell phone interference?, who knows what the issue was, but my point is that all car brands have issues, sometimes serious, most times not. Reading all this info sometimes isn't good, because it can give you the wrong inpression. Remember this is a new, unfamiliar, vehicle that new owners are learning about. Maybe we need to create a section for owners who are happy and satisfied...lol

· Registered
520 Posts
I purchased a 2016. No issues to report. The only thing that bugs me is a little to much wind noise. Some report that they don't have any so this is something to look for when test driving different renegades.

· Registered
132 Posts
Oh..my bad..there is a positive experience thread.
Forgive me, one thing I did omit is that I do have the squeaky brake thing when reversing in the morning...but I failed to mention it because it slipped my mind and I didn't think it was a defect, however I did read that some owners have successfully had their brakes replaced under warranty.

· Registered
58 Posts
2016 with 1200 miles and no issues of any kind so far.

From reading the posts, I wonder how much the dealer has to do with it all. Mine gave the vehicle a true stem-to-stern and software update before I accepted delivery (day after purchase). To top it off, the service manager drives one, and the dealership is Dodge/Crysler/Jeep so he has choices.

· Registered
44 Posts
Got my Latitude 4x4 6Manaul 1.4L the week before Christmas. I have almost 3000 miles and no problems. I love my Jeep. I have already had it in snow twice (we got almost 3 feet) and mud once and impressed on how the Renegade handles...

· Registered
302 Posts
I don't know if mechanically there is any real difference between the 2015 and 2016. With a 2016 you should already have all the software updates done and you might benefit from the fact that the factory has more experience in building the Renegade than when they first started out. That said, if you get all the software updates done and aren't victim of an assembly error you should have pretty much the same ownership experience.

Unless you find a big difference in price for similarly equipped '15 and '16 models it would make sense to go with the 2016.

Also, as many have learned to their regret - purchase a vehicle that is equipped the way you want it. It is expensive (if even possible) to add upgraded features later.

· Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
Things 2016 should definitely have fixed.

-crushed wiring harness from engine install procedure, as it was remedied in 2015.
-incomplete windshield sealant application, remedied very early on in 2015.
-small overlap crash worthiness improvement, alterations made to vehicle after july 2015.
-door locking failure issue.. firmware update issued prior to 2016 manufacturing start date.
-improbable data range issue with TCM, fixed ~july2015.
-improperly installed drain tube - generally seems to be a thing of the past.
-improperly stalled vapor recovery system tube - TSB was issued on it over the summer, should be addressed.

Things 2016 hasn't fixed or introduced
-mysky fitment and noise issues... these are mostly design issues, don't want ot deal with them, don't get mysky.
-new head unit issues - seems to be wonky EQ/crossover per channel mapped improperly for the speakers they connect to. Didn't previously exist.

That's not comprehensive, jsut things I can list off the top of my head.

· Registered
17 Posts
I had the choice of buying a 2015 or a 2016. The dealer I was working with found one of each year with the color and options that I wanted. I went with the 2015 because of the warranty. The dealer I was working with and the window stickers confirmed that for the 2015 you got 3years - 100,000 miles and the 2016 you got 3 years - 60,000 miles. For what I saw as not a lot of difference between the two model years I went with the more miles, besides I feel I got a better deal buying a left over 2015. Just my two cents!!

· Registered
132 Posts
This is what you got if you're in the U.S. with your 2015.

Basic Limited Warranty - United States

Our 3-year/36,000-mile Basic Limited Warranty provides bumper-to-bumper coverage for your vehicle, and covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair any item on your vehicle that is defective in material, workmanship, or factory preparation. Certain exceptions apply like brake pads, wiper blades, and other wear items.

Powertrain Limited Warranty - United States

We're confident in our vehicles and we're backing them with a new 5-year/100,000-mile powertrain limited warranty. The Powertrain Limited Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair a covered powertrain component - engine, transmission and drive system - on most new Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep®, and RAM Truck vehicles. Coverage now also includes free towing to the nearest Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep®, or RAM Truck dealership, if necessary. The warranty is transferable too, so if you sell your vehicle during the warranty period, the new owner will still be covered.

· Registered
105 Posts
When I got my Sport I was excited about how smooth manual gear box or clutch felt.
I had no idea it would decide to crank-no-start one day and dealer has no clue what is happening.
I don't have fancy push button to start just good old key.
I hope dealer will solve the mystery behind it as I would hate to open lemon law arbitration.

· Registered
8 Posts
2016 Renegade Trailhawk - CAUTION

I would beware.

I got a 2016 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk in Aug/Sept of 2015. It is now mid March and I have experienced multiple issues.

I have brought the car in 5 times now because the engine light keeps going off and registering a thermostat issue (when that is definitely not the problem). On the 3rd time they kept it for a few days to do software updates. Less than 24 hours after picking it up, the engine light set off after a strange traction control hiccup. At this point I was tired of heading back to the dealership, so days later I took the vehicle back in and had them flash the computer with the notion that with the software updated the thermostat issue would resolve. Boy was I wrong, again the light went off within 2 days. I brought it back in and told them I want to review the terms of my lease. The service department ran the codes for the engine light and I asked "is it the thermostat again?" and they replied "No it's a list of 10-20 codes, some I have never even seen before".

It gets worse, these computer issues are in addition to transmission issues (similar to those that plagued the 2015). On occasion, when I initially put the car in gear (drive/reverse) during the initial acceleration the vehicle surges and the power doesn't smooth out till at least 2nd gear. Also, when doing about 45-50 miles an hour there is a terrible hum coming from the gear box as if the transmission is not fully engaged into the proper gear. There is no way that this is normal (although could be since a 9 speed on a 2.4 liter is an awful combination).

On top of this I have noticed that I am getting interior noise above my rearview mirror, sounds like something is shaking around inside of it.

This review is of issues that are from the factory, not my personal opinion which is that this is truly the slowest car I have ever driven in my life. I like 4x4 capability, but not when my wife's base chevy cruze can spank me all over the power band. The car has 11500 miles on it all highway due to my long commute to work, but this is NO excuse for such inconvenience due to lack of quality. Thank god this is a LEASE, I would never buy this vehicle. If you want a Jeep, get a Jeep, not an Italian made Fiat.

· Registered
35 Posts
I would beware.

I got a 2016 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk in Aug/Sept of 2015. It is now mid March and I have experienced multiple issues.

I have brought the car in 5 times now because the engine light keeps going off and registering a thermostat issue (when that is definitely not the problem). On the 3rd time they kept it for a few days to do software updates. Less than 24 hours after picking it up, the engine light set off after a strange traction control hiccup. At this point I was tired of heading back to the dealership, so days later I took the vehicle back in and had them flash the computer with the notion that with the software updated the thermostat issue would resolve. Boy was I wrong, again the light went off within 2 days. I brought it back in and told them I want to review the terms of my lease. The service department ran the codes for the engine light and I asked "is it the thermostat again?" and they replied "No it's a list of 10-20 codes, some I have never even seen before".

It gets worse, these computer issues are in addition to transmission issues (similar to those that plagued the 2015). On occasion, when I initially put the car in gear (drive/reverse) during the initial acceleration the vehicle surges and the power doesn't smooth out till at least 2nd gear. Also, when doing about 45-50 miles an hour there is a terrible hum coming from the gear box as if the transmission is not fully engaged into the proper gear. There is no way that this is normal (although could be since a 9 speed on a 2.4 liter is an awful combination).

On top of this I have noticed that I am getting interior noise above my rearview mirror, sounds like something is shaking around inside of it.

This review is of issues that are from the factory, not my personal opinion which is that this is truly the slowest car I have ever driven in my life. I like 4x4 capability, but not when my wife's base chevy cruze can spank me all over the power band. The car has 11500 miles on it all highway due to my long commute to work, but this is NO excuse for such inconvenience due to lack of quality. Thank god this is a LEASE, I would never buy this vehicle. If you want a Jeep, get a Jeep, not an Italian made Fiat.
Production on the 2016MY started 10/2015. How did you get a 2016 in Aug?

· Registered
35 Posts
I would beware.

I thought that production on the 2016MY started 10/2015. How did you get a 2016 in Aug/Sept 2015?

· Registered
520 Posts
I would beware.

I have a 2016 Trailhawk no issues. I am sure you test drove it. You should have noticed the power action then. I traded a FJ Cruiser, also a dog off the line . I did not buy the TH for its speed. Newer trannies are different and it will only get worse to meet changing US regulations.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.