Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having had serious problems with the A/C in every aging vehicle (5+ years old), I might consider not getting A/C in the first place. This is of course only an option in the Sport. On my Audi I removed the A/C after 200k miles (17 years) and never looked back.

I am wondering, did anyone here order their Sport without A/C, and if so, where do you live?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Lamont,

I think you are slipping into "analysis paralysis" in your Renegade purchase decision. I fear you will wind up with the wrong vehicle. You are now being driven to the lowest base Renegade model, because A/C is an option for it. I live in the Bay Area. If you are anywhere near the Bay or Pacific, you know that we have a maritime climate that causes a lot of condensation. That means fogged up interior glass. If you eschew A/C, you will have a heck of a time clearing the windshield, especially during the winter months. And as you also know, it can get quite hot in the Summer here -- you are going to broil. And your Renegade sans A/C will be very hard to sell. I strongly urge you to reconsider your A/C decision pivot.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Lamont,

I think you are slipping into "analysis paralysis" in your Renegade purchase decision. I fear you will wind up with the wrong vehicle. You are now being driven to the lowest base Renegade model, because A/C is an option for it. I live in the Bay Area. If you are anywhere near the Bay or Pacific, you know that we have a maritime climate that causes a lot of condensation. That means fogged up interior glass. If you eschew A/C, you will have a heck of a time clearing the windshield, especially during the winter months. And as you also know, it can get quite hot in the Summer here -- you are going to broil. And your Renegade sans A/C will be very hard to sell. I strongly urge you to reconsider your A/C decision pivot.
I gotta agree. Not getting an AC is a terrible idea.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Having had serious problems with the A/C in every aging vehicle (5+ years old), I might consider not getting A/C in the first place. This is of course only an option in the Sport. On my Audi I removed the A/C after 200k miles (17 years) and never looked back.

I am wondering, did anyone here order their Sport without A/C, and if so, where do you live?
I've lived or visited every state in the Continental US and Hawaii. I can not think of a single state that NOT having AC would be acceptable. I currently live in Colorado (and have spent most of my life in the SW). Too hot in Utah, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, and half of Texas. You could die in your car because of heat. A/C makes it livable.

At least that is what anyone that looks at your Jeep to purchase it used will think. Ask a car dealer what happens to resale value to a vehicle with no A/C. It is more expensive to go without, than to go with.

·
Registered
302 Posts
In 50 years of driving I've only had "serious" trouble with the AC in one of my vehicles and that was back in the late 70's. It did quit in my 17 year old S10 Blazer this fall (it was trouble free until then) but I haven't looked into the reason.... I'll let the next guy worry about it if he cares.

While we don't get a huge number of really hot days in Michigan, there is plenty of humidity so sometimes I run it just to dry out the air in the car a bit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I never shut my A/C off. On the colder days here the humidity is high enough to cause serious interior fogging. Just leaving the A/C on and raising the temp keeps everything clear. The MPG penalty is too slim to care.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

What have been the problems you have had with A/C Lamont?
I have never had an A/C problem in over 20 of using it.
Mine is always on, Summer and Winter.

·
Registered
190 Posts
In many years of owning cars I have only had one AC problem. That was probably due to
the car being in an accident prior to my purchase, a rubber vacuum hose rubbed a tiny
hole in the high pressure outlet tube from the compressor to the evaporator. No problems
with AC with any other car.

Living in Florida since Jun 2014 I wouldn't own any kind of car without AC. I have Auto
air in the Renegade, it stays on, the wife sets her desired temp and I set what I want.

Clifton

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lamont,

I think you are slipping into "analysis paralysis" in your Renegade purchase decision. I fear you will wind up with the wrong vehicle.
Not true at all. I am only interested in Trailhawk.

You are now being driven to the lowest base Renegade model, because A/C is an option for it.
My interest was hypothetical only and I wanted to know if anybody went A/C-less and where they live. You need not tell me about moisture in the Bay Area, although my Audi did fine without A/C.

I live in the Bay Area. If you are anywhere near the Bay or Pacific, you know that we have a maritime climate that causes a lot of condensation. That means fogged up interior glass. If you eschew A/C, you will have a heck of a time clearing the windshield, especially during the winter months. And as you also know, it can get quite hot in the Summer here -- you are going to broil.
As I said, my Audi did fine without A/C. No dripping condensation although I live one block from the ocean. The heat would be a problem, yes, but as I said, my question was hypothetical, since a Trailhawk is the only model I consider.

And your Renegade sans A/C will be very hard to sell. I strongly urge you to reconsider your A/C decision pivot.
I drive all my cars till they go to the dismantler. I never by with the intention to sell, and I have only done it once, because I moved overseas.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
What have been the problems you have had with A/C Lamont?
I have never had an A/C problem in over 20 of using it.
Mine is always on, Summer and Winter.
zwyggy, here is the roster for your viewing pleasure:

1981 Opel Kadett: defective compressor
1984: Austin Allegro: refrigerant leaks galore
1982 VW Scirocco: defective compressor (broke off the mount), evaporator leak
1989 VW Scirocco: defective compressor, resistor blew annually, condenser leak
1984 Chevy Century: refrigerant leaks galore
1985 Buick Century: refrigerant leaks galore
1996 Audi A4: multiple leaks, repair would have been ca $2,000

While I am a DIY guy, I do not do A/C stuff. That's why I sometimes wonder about living without A/C, which I have effectively done on an off since I started driving. A/C has been in all my (nd my family's) cars the most common failure point.

But as I said, I wanted to know who here went without A/C, and I really don't want to read about people speculating about my motivation, intimating "analysis paralysis" etc. I just wanted a simple answer to a question, not a fridge misguided lecture on something that wasn't my topic. Clear enough?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I even use my A/C in the winter sometimes. I have no clue why they would make a car without it. I can't see anyone ever buying it from you without it. I bet the same dealer who sold it to you wouldn't buy it back without A/C. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think in most newer cars when you turn on "MAX Defrost" the ac comes on automatically and in a couple of my cars the ac light did not come on when in max defrost; but it was. I suppose you cannot have automatic climate control without ac as part of it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The only time I ever had an A/C issue was with an Infiniti Q45. Brought the car in for some minor warranty fix, was guven a loaner and asked to come back the next afternoon. Turns out the dealership replaced the entire A/C system based on factory direction (the was no official recall).

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

While I am a DIY guy, I do not do A/C stuff. That's why I sometimes wonder about living without A/C, which I have effectively done on an off since I started driving. A/C has been in all my (nd my family's) cars the most common failure point.

But as I said, I wanted to know who here went without A/C, and I really don't want to read about people speculating about my motivation, intimating "analysis paralysis" etc. I just wanted a simple answer to a question, not a fridge misguided lecture on something that wasn't my topic. Clear enough?
You really are quite rude.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts

Well there's your problem. Most of your rides have been from the 80s since you say you drive them until the wheels fall off, I can only assume they were not new to you. For 80s cars, AC was not particularly durable. No idea why, but at best they'd slowly leak refrigerant over time.

As for the 1996 Audi, well that was just about the peak era of Audi having the attitude that only poor people can't afford a car that won't work in three years. Almost bought one then, some friends did. I'd have to say they put their attitude into practice. If there wasn't something unreliable, it was engineered to cost an arm and a leg in labor to r&r it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Lamont,

I am trying to ease you out of what clearly is car buying research neurosis. Let me, and others on this forum, help you. Accept that you have a problem, please don't lash out.

CB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just my 2c worth here but the A/C systems have improved quite a bit since the 90s. For one the refrigerant changed at one point, the new stuff is not as corrosive on the internals which helps with issues relating to leaking. My current car is a 2011 elantra(i'm researching here too because I'm thinking of getting a renegade as well) and I've had no issue whatsoever with the A/C. Before that i had a 2001 ford windstar and i had no issues with A/C in that either.

Of course the choice is up to you and, given the past issues you've described, i can understand why you're debating getting it or not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.