Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first oil change was free, per my dealer. Nice!

Second was a different story. Was quoted a Package deal, ........ oil, filter, rotate tires , 121 pt check, wash and some special paint treatment, and lube all chassi locations ....... $89. OK!

Car done, bill is almost $150! What? Oh didn't known the Renegade engine required "zero" weight special oil, ..... Very expensive, ........ Just oil alone was almost $60.

Anyone heard of this special oil requirement? P

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not sure but my dealer gave me the first 4 oil changes free of charge...i'm curious about any special needs for the renegade as well. any more informed folks here?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I use Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 since it is MOPAR certified. $25.17 for 5 quarts. If you buy a single quart, it is almost $8. So $32 for oil & $5-$8 for a good filter. $40 gets a DIY oil change. The dealer took $20 for their services. Not out of line, but no deal either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think you were scammed. Yes, the synthetic oil is expensive, but you were originally quoted for $89 that included an oil change with traditional oil, but then they tacked on another $60 due to synthetic. What about the difference between synthetic versus traditional oil being deducted? They double billed you for the oil and filter in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
I use Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 since it is MOPAR certified. $25.17 for 5 quarts. If you buy a single quart, it is almost $8. So $32 for oil & $5-$8 for a good filter. $40 gets a DIY oil change. The dealer took $20 for their services. Not out of line, but no deal either.
The dealer took $110 for their service. They charged $150. The up-charge was $60 additional dollars added for ~$25-30 worth of oil.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Does the renegade need synthetic oil?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's highly recommended, as it is on most new cars.

I wouldn't switch an older car to synthetic that hasn't had it from the beginning, but I would absolutely run synthetic in any new car.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I had a free oil change from my dealer when I bought my car. But I did my first oil change myself. I just don't trust that everything will be done correctly.

I have visions of some new kid working at the dealership that gets all the dirty jobs; oil changes, tire changes, etc. I picture my car coming back with oil all over the skid plate and some of the bolts that hold it to the car improperly torqued or cross-threaded. And will they put in 5.5 quarts of the proper oil such that the oil level is at the correct location on the dip stick?

Or maybe I'm just too picky.

·
Registered
831 Posts
$10 of which goes to the man pulling the drain plug...

ANND synthetic is more resistant to coking, important for the high exhaust temps of the turbo trucks...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Many (not all) service writers are commissioned, and some tend to try to throw in extras much like wait staff at a restaurant and the "so you want a loaded baked potato trick". Not saying anything is wrong or bad, just need to keep that in mind. Many dealers run coupons for oil changes, check the site, just make sure they spell out the cost for synthetic as well, it is usually more by 10 bucks or so, "low as" typically does not include 5.5 quarts and/or synthetic. And of course the up sell attempt is to be expected, they have to earn a living.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Synthetic oil is the way to go if you want to get maximum life out of your engine. In the long run it is one of the best and cheapest investments you can make.

I remember years ago a guy ruined a $10000+ aircraft engine by running cheap (and I mean cheap) automotive oil in it rather than the required ashless dispersant Aircraft Oil. Hey, he saved $4 a quart!

·
Registered
715 Posts
It's highly recommended, as it is on most new cars.

I wouldn't switch an older car to synthetic that hasn't had it from the beginning, but I would absolutely run synthetic in any new car.
THIS.

Most people don't realize just about all new cars come with tighter tolerances in the engines. Synthetics can get to places the basics can't. (Almost) Every company requires synthetics for their vehicles now a days all over.

Someone posted this before, but oil spec should be the proper weight/viscosity. Proper. And must be ms-6395.

http://jeepoffroadadventures.com/wp/?page_id=787

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a free oil change from my dealer when I bought my car. But I did my first oil change myself. I just don't trust that everything will be done correctly.

I have visions of some new kid working at the dealership that gets all the dirty jobs; oil changes, tire changes, etc. I picture my car coming back with oil all over the skid plate and some of the bolts that hold it to the car improperly torqued or cross-threaded. And will they put in 5.5 quarts of the proper oil such that the oil level is at the correct location on the dip stick?

Or maybe I'm just too picky.

I picked up an 06 GMC 3500 two years ago in Charlotte NC. They had done full service on it. On my way back to California going through Las Vegas wife wanted to drive. So I pulled over to find oil all over tail gate and left side of truck. Short story, it had a Fumoto drain valve and the guy that changed it didn't know what it was and unscrewed the stem behind the valve. When he replaced the ball in the valve he just stuffed it in there not lining it up. Vibration over the trip the ball worked around and started leaking. Only 2 1/2 quarts. My catching it save a really nice Duramax engine. It only had 17,500 miles on it when I got it.

Just don't trust other people working on my rigs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
THIS.

Most people don't realize just about all new cars come with tighter tolerances in the engines. Synthetics can get to places the basics can't. (Almost) Every company requires synthetics for their vehicles now a days all over.

Someone posted this before, but oil spec should be the proper weight/viscosity. Proper. And must be ms-6395.

http://jeepoffroadadventures.com/wp/?page_id=787
So tell us where synthetics can get to that basics cannot?

And for anyone who hasn't read the manual yet, the 2.4 engine doesn't require synthetic.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Synthetics have a different molecule shape than a basic conventional. The ability it has to get where the basics can't is part of why synthetics lubricate the engine better, no matter what the weight. The 2.4 liter requires a ms-6395, which is almost all synthetics. You can use a conventional oil that meets or exceeds that MS rating, but good luck taking that cheap oil to 10k like Jeep says it can do.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.