Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this is a little odd. Looking at a Sport model with a friend. He is looking at a 4X2 Sport and he notices that it has these black plastic covers that run from the front to the rear on both sides when you look at the bottom of the vehicle. They are pretty flimsy looking and I would guess they could break off if you hit some major snow. Then he is looking at a 4X4 Sport and it does not have them at all. Then I look at my Latitude 4X4 and I don't have them either. Is there and rhyme or reason to this ? I could not locate a Latitude 4X2 so could not confirm my suspicion that these black covers are only on 4X2 models. Why would this be so and what would the purpose be ? If you have a Latitude or Sport please indicate 4X2 or 4X4 and whether you have these black plastic covers on your vehicle.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have these on my 4X2 latitude. What the **** are they? Initially, I thought they had left some plastic packaging on, but I am not sure.
They do not look sturdy enough to stay on the vehicle. Maybe they are to be removed during PDI but that would not explain why the 4X4 units that were on the lot do not have them at all. Maybe when we get enough facts here a determination can be made.

·
Registered
246 Posts
OK this is a little odd. Looking at a Sport model with a friend. He is looking at a 4X2 Sport and he notices that it has these black plastic covers that run from the front to the rear on both sides when you look at the bottom of the vehicle. They are pretty flimsy looking and I would guess they could break off if you hit some major snow. Then he is looking at a 4X4 Sport and it does not have them at all. Then I look at my Latitude 4X4 and I don't have them either. Is there and rhyme or reason to this ? I could not locate a Latitude 4X2 so could not confirm my suspicion that these black covers are only on 4X2 models. Why would this be so and what would the purpose be ? If you have a Latitude or Sport please indicate 4X2 or 4X4 and whether you have these black plastic covers on your vehicle.
Please post a pic of these. There are black plastic runners that run from bumper to bumper through the fenders and bottom side of car on all models (4x2 and 4x4) - you can see them all on the Jeep.com website. So i'm not sure what you're referring to without pics.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I am talking about the black plastic on the underbody of the vehicle. You have to get down and look under the vehicle. You either have it or you don't.
Take a picture! They might be aero bits for 4x2 models, as 4x2 models are lower to the ground than 4x4 models and Jeep does not expect owners of 4x2 models to try them offroad or in major snow...but have no clue until I see a picture.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Take a picture! They might be aero bits for 4x2 models, as 4x2 models are lower to the ground than 4x4 models and Jeep does not expect owners of 4x2 models to try them offroad or in major snow...but have no clue until I see a picture.
I do not have these on my vehicle so I can't take a picture. I saw these on dealer cars. I think your explanation is plausible since I only saw on 4X2 models. Maybe somebody with a 4X2 can supply a picture.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have these on my 4X2 latitude. What the **** are they? Initially, I thought they had left some plastic packaging on, but I am not sure.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I do not have these on my vehicle so I can't take a picture. I saw these on dealer cars. I think your explanation is plausible since I only saw on 4X2 models. Maybe somebody with a 4X2 can supply a picture.
Sorry, I just quoted the other guy who does own one in 4x2 so maybe he will be able to take a picture and post it here for everyone

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm attaching two photos of the passenger underside of my Latitude 4x2. The floor on the driver had some water and with my bad back I didn't want to lay in it.

I'm not sure what the covers are for, by I have a opinion. I think they may help smooth the under car airflow to help a little with fuel mpg and possibly to keep mud & crud from sticking in/on the crevices of the underbody.

Other cars I have owned had similar covers. Keep in mind they don't support anything, they are just covers.

Clifton

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My time ran out before I could complete my photos. Photos are attached. My opinions of the underbody covers is in my post above.

Clifton
Thanks for posting those. I don't know why the 4X2 has these but the 4X4 does not. It also does not look like these would last long if you hit some deep snow. If anybody knows what these are for please let us know. I am surprised they are not made of metal for durability.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The only purpose I can see for those is aerodynamics to increase efficiency. I think the previous posters have it right, they left them off the 4x4 because they wouldn't stand up to off-road use.
You are probably right but why not make these pieces out of metal ? I can see most of these getting broken since they are plastic and not very thick. A mound of snow would rip these off in no time. If I had them I think I would remove them. The aero gains with these has to be minimal. I am thinking maybe there is something different in the 4X2 setup and these serve as some sort of underbody protection.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.