Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Been looking for a renegade for awhile now. Still a ton of 2015 jeeps leftover but kinda scared with all the stories I am hearing about the automatic. Did they fix it for 2016 or is it still having hiccups?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have had my 2016 Trailhawk for 3 weeks. I find the 9 speed automatic, seem to drive fine. Its different but most newer vehicles are. I came from a 6 cylinder gas guzzler.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My 2015 was built in August. The transmission is no problem. I climb up and from Colorado Springs to my home at 8500-ft a couple of times a week and have had passengers comment how well the engine and transmission do. There is no jerkiness our unexpected shifts. I dio believe the transmission's logic has adapted to my driving style. It seemed too be hunting the first couple of times I took it up the mountain, but rapidly learned how I like to go up hill. I've been pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Sounds like they sorted out the programming on them. Now I just have to decide between having a manual for fun or getting an automatic to have some niceties and the ability to tow something. That is a harder decision than it sounds.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
There have been some serious problems with a few 2015 automatics, but there are many more times that that do not have problems. My Jan. 2015 build has been flawless thus far (~7,000 miles).

What I wouldn't do is to buy a used 2015 Renegade as it may have been traded because of problems.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I mean, my '15 9 speed still has a pretty annoying pause when I try to accelerate quickly, takes it about 1.5 seconds to drop a gear and accelerate. I assumed this was just normal because I've heard multiple people mention it. I get better mileage using the "manual" shift mode anyway.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I mean, my '15 9 speed still has a pretty annoying pause when I try to accelerate quickly, takes it about 1.5 seconds to drop a gear and accelerate. I assumed this was just normal because I've heard multiple people mention it. I get better mileage using the "manual" shift mode anyway.
Kick-down shifting worked quicker than that on my '84 Buick Century! Does the Renegade have "to learn" to shift quickly? Does anybody ever want to shift slowly? :x

·
Registered
534 Posts
I do not think they have it sorted out yet based on my experiences with the 9spd. Although I know they are trying.I do not buy stock in anyone's opinion who has only done a small amount of miles. The seem to really act up between 8-25k miles. Also be wary of flashing them as they seem to get worse afterwards.
Now granted my experience is with a Cherokee to this point however it is the same trans. I will hve a better handle on it when the day comes that my Renegade comes in... 3 months and counting

·
Registered
199 Posts
13,210k on our March 2015 build Latitude 4x4 with zero issues. From a stop in 1st gear, the little mosquito sprayer can really get up and go! There can be some lag when RPMs are low and you call on the engine, but the more you drive it, the better you get at manipulating it. The Renny is my Wife's Jeep and she has never complained about it. I drive an old Cherokee with thump on demand, but I really enjoy driving the Renegade too.

·
Registered
534 Posts
13,210k on our March 2015 build Latitude 4x4 with zero issues. From a stop in 1st gear, the little mosquito sprayer can really get up and go! There can be some lag when RPMs are low and you call on the engine, but the more you drive it, the better you get at manipulating it. The Renny is my Wife's Jeep and she has never complained about it. I drive an old Cherokee with thump on demand, but I really enjoy driving the Renegade too.
that lag is in issue if you drive in stop and go traffic it can be dangerous. Things should just work without manipulation to rig it to work.

·
Registered
184 Posts
that lag is in issue if you drive in stop and go traffic it can be dangerous. Things should just work without manipulation to rig it to work.
It sounds to me like Retiredguns is saying the Renegade is good in stop and go traffic, and I'd have to agree. I don't see how you are saying it is dangerous, unless you have something wrong with your Jeep. I also agree with what he said about low rpm's.

·
Registered
534 Posts
It sounds to me like Retiredguns is saying the Renegade is good in stop and go traffic, and I'd have to agree. I don't see how you are saying it is dangerous, unless you have something wrong with your Jeep. I also agree with what he said about low rpm's.
Possibly you need to spend more time with it.
Trust me I have many more miles with this 9 spd than most people. The Renegade seemed to be a it better than the Cherokee but time will tell.
I would suggest you meander over to the Cherokee forums and read about peoples experience with the transmissions as well as look up what has been going on with the 200.
Like I said I hope my new vehicle is flawless as my present one sadly is not.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Possibly you need to spend more time with it.
Trust me I have many more miles with this 9 spd than most people. The Renegade seemed to be a it better than the Cherokee but time will tell.
I would suggest you meander over to the Cherokee forums and read about peoples experience with the transmissions as well as look up what has been going on with the 200.
Like I said I hope my new vehicle is flawless as my present one sadly is not.
Maybe I lucked out with my 2015, which has a build date of 9/2015. I think that's when they started the 2016 builds.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.