Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'd be interested to exchange experiences of the manual transmission, especially on the diesel 1.6.

I've noticed that there's a really noticeable jerk when I shift between 1st and 2nd, which I seem only to be able to avoid by lifting my foot off the clutch INCREDIBLY slowly, or by changing up by around 1,500 rpm (i.e. about 8 mph).

It's the same, but less noticeable between 2nd and 3rd, and 3rd and 4th - very slow removal of foot from the clutch, and moving quickly up the gears. I'm usually in 4th by 25 mph.

It's fine for poodling around in non hectic city traffic, but when I want to be a bit hasty, I have to endure really jerky shifts.

It's starting to make for quite a tiresome drive having to work my way up the gears so quickly in order to enjoy some smoothness in the ride.

So folks, what do you think? Trip back to the dealer?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have been driving manual diesels for over 20 years and none of them did this.
I do find though that when I move from an old car to a new one the clutch bite seems much more sudden.
It just takes a bit of getting used to.
There could be something wrong with yours though.
have you let anyone else try it

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a 1.6 manual diesel Opening Edition, one of the first traunch available in the UK, got it end of March, gear change smooth as silk since day 1, as has been all other Renegade manual models I've driven.
Sounds like there may be an issue with yours, suggest you contact your dealer. good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Hi all,

I'd be interested to exchange experiences of the manual transmission, especially on the diesel 1.6.

I've noticed that there's a really noticeable jerk when I shift between 1st and 2nd, which I seem only to be able to avoid by lifting my foot off the clutch INCREDIBLY slowly, or by changing up by around 1,500 rpm (i.e. about 8 mph).

It's the same, but less noticeable between 2nd and 3rd, and 3rd and 4th - very slow removal of foot from the clutch, and moving quickly up the gears. I'm usually in 4th by 25 mph.

It's fine for poodling around in non hectic city traffic, but when I want to be a bit hasty, I have to endure really jerky shifts.

It's starting to make for quite a tiresome drive having to work my way up the gears so quickly in order to enjoy some smoothness in the ride.

So folks, what do you think? Trip back to the dealer?
Definitely a trip back to the dealer. While you are there, see if you can drive other similar Renegades for comparison.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.