Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I'm rather concerned about my order for a limited 4x4 diesel now that the government, whoever it happens to be after Thursday, appears to be on the verge of phasing out diesel usage by whatever means it finds fit. I really want a limited 4x4 Renegade with manual transmission but I'm equally concerned by all the stories about diesels being banned from cities, the likelihood of higher taxation for diesel users etc. Any helpful advice please?

· Registered
73 Posts
I agree. I think that it is likely car tax will change to not just be CO2 based - so that the other mucky stuff diesels kick out will be penalised. Diesels also won't be able to enter low emission zones like central London. However, I think that will be the brunt of it, and it will be phased in. So I'd just expect to be paying more car tax over the next few years - but I wouldn't worry too much.
Don't forget diesel owners are voters, a government would have to phase in changes or risk alienating a large proportion of the population.

· Registered
70 Posts
From what I have read, the ultra low emission zones (i.e. London and other major cities) won't ban diesel vehicles, rather those less than a Euro category 6 will have to pay to enter, like a congestion charge.

Diesel cars that are at the Euro 6 standard won't be affected by these changes, and luckily, all diesels sold from 1 January 2015 MUST be Euro 6, so the Renegade should be in the clear.

Remember that even until recently, the government has really been pushing the ownership of diesel cars by way of the low tax bands they fall within, and in fact I think around 40% of vehicles sold in the UK are now diesel. Any government making quick or drastic changes would quickly fall out of favour.

I wouldn't worry yourself.

· Registered
1 Posts
I'm based in the UK and just bought the 1.4 Limited Petrol with my company car allowance. I was tempted by the diesel, buy what put me off were the following:

1) The mount of money my company would pay towards fuel: petrol is terrible but they pay even less for diesal

2) HMRC also pay less than petrol when it comes to claiming the difference at the end of the financial year via Self-Assessment

3) Despite the better MPG over petrol, the cost of Diesel is much higher than petrol. Modern petro engines are quite efficient

4) There are rumours that the Government has it in for diesel - the future is, how shall I say this, unknown.

5) Performance on the diesel engines in the Renegade are not that great. The 1.4 isn't that powerful given the weight and shape of the car, but at least it has a little more punch

I've had the Renegade for 4 days now and travelled a fair but on dual carriage ways and motorways. If you set aside the high winds recently, I'm getting around 41 MPG in the petrol. Not sure what you'd get in the diesel - probably more efficient but not as much as the marketing literature will have you believe (was told that by a Jeep salesperson).

I'm happy with the petrol version. Jeep on the other hand are pushing diesel models in the UK. That kind of counters current government thinking... Will be interesting to see what happens....

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for replies keep those opinions coming please

Well thanks for all the feedback people it's nice to know there are those out there with similar ideas and opinions, so it will be interesting to see if the Euro 6 standard does help the newer diesels stay viable.

· Registered
953 Posts
It's a valid concern. I have heard they are trying to phase out diesel in the UK so it might not be the best investment to buy a diesel vehicle. I'm not sure what you can do if you have already ordered it though.

I would think that they wouldn't just blanket ban all diesels though. They must have a way of doing it that is makes more sense for everyone.

· Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Diesels are a lot cleaner than they used to be. It is very rare to see a diesel engined car blowing out sooty smog, unless they have an issue. At one stage the Renault Scenic diesel was the greenest car in the UK as far as emissions were concerned. As for phasing out diesels, I think it would be a non starter. If every diesel was something from forty or fifty years ago, fine, but that isn't the case. Probably scare mongering so everybody changes their mind, buys petrol engined vehicles and then slam another few pence on a litre of unleaded and screw the motorist. Again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.