15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I know I need 75w90
But one without friction additive...
Anyone know what brand I can use?

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
USUALLY, the friction additive that come in the bottle gear oil is just enough to give the gear oil adhesion qualities (helps it stick to the gears).

Differentials requiring Friction Additive ALWAYS requires additional (4 to 8 ounces depending on the size of the differential).

Even MOPAR 75W90 has some friction additive in it.

I used Mobil1 75W90 without any issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
USUALLY, the friction additive that come in the bottle gear oil is just enough to give the gear oil adhesion qualities (helps it stick to the gears).

Differentials requiring Friction Additive ALWAYS requires additional (4 to 8 ounces depending on the size of the differential).

Even MOPAR 75W90 has some friction additive in it.

I used Mobil1 75W90 without any issues.
Okay thank you very much for the help I know both the differential and the PTU have wet clutches.... I originally purchased Royal Purple if I put that in I don't think it would have ended well

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Okay thank you very much for the help I know both the differential and the PTU have wet clutches.... I originally purchased Royal Purple if I put that in I don't think it would have ended well
Royal Purple is a great option. Very good oils.
Friction Modifies is made for wet clutches. The modifiers are there to keep the clutches from being wrung out (drying out) under load.
There isn't enough friction modifier in the bottle of gear oil to do any harm. It is just an additional additive to enhance adhesion qualities.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Royal Purple is a great option. Very good oils.
Friction Modifies is made for wet clutches. The modifiers are there to keep the clutches from being wrung out (drying out) under load.
There isn't enough friction modifier in the bottle of gear oil to do any harm. It is just an additional additive to enhance adhesion qualities.
It said right on the bottle of Royal purple 75w 90 absolutely definitely do not use on a wet clutch system so I returned it..... but I would have liked to have used it :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts