Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. It bolts on to where the metal bumper is under the plastic cover. You have to cut out a hole in the plastic bumper cover and a bezel goes in the cut out. It looks very nice. I thought I read somewhere on non-trailhawk models a hole needs to be drilled but I guess I was mistaken.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I knew when performing my installation I should have made a YouTube video. Coming from someone who has installed the Mopar hitch, let me tell you, you are better off purchasing ALL the required parts for this installation. If you do not do so, it is not "100% Bolt on". DO NOT expect that you will just be able to cut a hole in your bumper. It takes ALL of the following parts:

Hitch "Kit": The hitch that replaces the rear impact structure (bumper), a rubber plug for the receiver and necessary bolts.
Rear Fascia for your trim package
Bezel
Wiring Harness: it is NOT necessary to drill a hole in the floor as recommended with the factory instructions and DO NOT use the recommended mount location of the relay unit. It interferes with he spare tire.
Trim clips: You will break at least 2 if not 4 or more of these removing the fascia. There is no way around this.

All told I was $600+ ($800 if I had paid retail, look at Mopar.com for coupons or Discount Mopar sites) into the job for me to install this myself! As a factory option this is less than $500 window sticker! I don't get it. Not to mention back ordered parts (I think that they have solved this) AND! the dealer charges a $100 core charge for the fascia! Yes that's right, you have to return your original fascia to the dealer after you install it yourself!

In the end, I am generally happy with the form and function and knowing that it does not hang below the bumper. As for the fit, due to it's design, EVERY bump the trailer hitch receives is directly transmitted structure of the Renegade. Think of someone hammering on the back of your Renegade as you go down the road. Very stressful the first few times I pulled. Now I'm immune to the noise, but every time I take someone new with me when I pull they think that there is something drastically wrong with the trailer. HA!

The alternative is the kit available from Renegade Ready for around $400.

Good luck on your project and contact me if you have more detailed Q's

W

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.