Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Renegade 1.6 Multijet II (120bhp) Longitude 5dr Manual DDCT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I purchased my Jeep Renegade it did not come with an 'upper floor' for the boot. To buy the genuine MOPAR part was going to set me back £150 to £175, so I decided to make my own out of 12mm Birch plywood, Superior grade BB, for strength, and cover it with Car carpet material I purchased on Ebay. Total cost £42. Photos attached.

and

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

For anyone else who is interested:-

Materials:

One 4ft x 4ft (1220mm x 1220mm) 12mm Birch Plywood Sheet - Superior Grade BB - £25.26 (+ £10.79 Shipping as I couldn't get it locally).
A large sheet of cardboard - min 800mm x 1000mm (32"x 40") - I used 2 large cardboard packing boxes obtained free from my local superstore. Use the cardboard to draw and cut out a template.
A sheet of Anthracite/Black car carpet material - approx 2000mm x 1600mm - from Ebay - £12.99
A tin of contact adhesive spray (used by carpet fitters) - £3.99

I had enough carpet material to cover both sides.

·
Super Moderator
3,707 Posts
Nice job!

·
Registered
14 Posts
My Jeep was missing that too. I'm still unsure which route to take. Does your DIY version pretty much do the same job as the genuine part?

Great job by the way: it looks really tidy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Jeep was missing that too. I'm still unsure which route to take. Does your DIY version pretty much do the same job as the genuine part?

Great job by the way: it looks really tidy.
Sorry for the delay in replying. I think it does the same job. I have never seen the original one (Jeep Part No: 735709997), so I am not sure how sturdy it is or how much weight it holds so it is difficult to compare the two.

The 'lower floor' is fairly flimsy but obviously rests on the emergency tyre repair kit foam moulding that give it support under load.

The 'upper floor' does not have any support in the middle, unless you improvise.

I have removed the emergency tyre repair kit and lower floor, and purchased a full size steel wheel rim and tyre. The upper floor sits about 2" above the spare wheel, so I probably need to to support the floor with a piece of wood in the centre which will rest across the spare tyre.

If I was doing it again I would probably forget about the cut out at the front of the board and drill one or two holes on the board instead, loop a piece of 1" webbing strap (the type you find on rucksacks) through them and make a handle by which I could pull the board up and out. That would also make the carpet fitting easier.

regards

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would also drill a lot of 10mm diameter holes to reduce its weight
I don't find the DIY board too heavy, but if its weight could be reduce without sacrificing its strength then that could only be good!

What I did do before carpeting the board was to apply 3 coats of wood varnish to both sides to seal the plywood.

regards

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So, today I removed the lower floor and emergency tyre repair kit, and replaced it with a full size spare wheel and tyre. In addition I lined the wheel well with rubber matting.

Fitted inside the wheel rim, is a 1 tonne scissor jack, wheel nut socket wrench, tow rope, OEM tow hook, jump leads, set of spanners and the locking wheel nut remover. Around the tyre are two emergency warning triangles. I still have plenty of room to add other stuff.

DSCF0836.JPG DSCF0837.JPG DSCF0840.JPG DSCF0842.JPG DSCF0844.JPG DSCF0801.JPG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts