Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here used Scotchguard on their Renny's interior? If so, how did you protect from overspray going to the paint outside and unwanted areas of the interior? What kind was used? Regular SG or Auto specific RG?

Thanks,
T

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I had the interior and exterior treated with GardX by the dealer. It is like a teflon coating. Liquid doesn't seep into the fabric and stain. Also if stuff like bird poo and tree sap aren't cleaned straight away, they don't mark the paintwork. I don't know if this available in the USA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just finished Scotchgarding the seats in my Latitude. I'd like to keep the off-white that came paired with bark brown more or less off-white. Every article I read said dealership fabric protectant packages are overpriced, new car fabrics are very stain resistant, and if you need extra protection, get a can of Scotchgard (no "u", but to facilitate word searches, "Scotchguard").

I could see the slightly darker shade as it went on wet, but that disappeared as it dried - invisible. Overspray wasn't a problem. The spray pattern is tight and fairly narrow, not a wide mist like spraypaint. I laid some towels over center console, etc. to catch the minor overspray. Wiped some tiny overspray off a plastic surface - really, how bad can it be on hard plastics if it's so easy on fabrics?

All in all, quick and easy. The real test will have to wait until my kids spill their Code Red Mountain Dew on a seat. I'm in no hurry to find out!

·
Registered
607 Posts
I had the interior and exterior treated with GardX by the dealer. It is like a teflon coating. Liquid doesn't seep into the fabric and stain. Also if stuff like bird poo and tree sap aren't cleaned straight away, they don't mark the paintwork. I don't know if this available in the USA.
It is available, many dealers sell the same service here in the USA.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I just finished Scotchgarding the seats in my Latitude. I'd like to keep the off-white that came paired with bark brown more or less off-white. Every article I read said dealership fabric protectant packages are overpriced, new car fabrics are very stain resistant, and if you need extra protection, get a can of Scotchgard (no "u", but to facilitate word searches, "Scotchguard").

I could see the slightly darker shade as it went on wet, but that disappeared as it dried - invisible. Overspray wasn't a problem. The spray pattern is tight and fairly narrow, not a wide mist like spraypaint. I laid some towels over center console, etc. to catch the minor overspray. Wiped some tiny overspray off a plastic surface - really, how bad can it be on hard plastics if it's so easy on fabrics?

All in all, quick and easy. The real test will have to wait until my kids spill their Code Red Mountain Dew on a seat. I'm in no hurry to find out!
After 24 hours of drying, spill some water on purpose to test. If the water seeps in, you missed a spot and you need to reapply. If it beads up and shoots around on the seat without seeping in, you are good to go! I did all my carpets and seat backs as well as the seats. It does dry clear so that you cannot see it, even on a light interior like we have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.