Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if buying a 2.4 4x4 Latitude makes any sense, when the MSRP for the base Trailhawk (which includes the 2.4) is only $1200 more? $1200 seems like a pretty good deal for rock mode, full skidplates, tow hooks, 1" suspension lift, exclusive seats, and a better approach angle! What else does the Trailhawk have that isn't standard on the Latitude?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found these differences as well:

7" TFT display
Front & rear floor mats
Leather wrapped shift knob
17" wheels
full size spare tire (no spare on standard Latitude)
Front Side Marker / Side Repeater Lamp
accent color roof rails instead of black
Exterior Mirrors with Turn Signals
Portable Rechargeable Trouble Light

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks Rebel for the run down of differences. I've been torn between the same dilemma, and my dealer has found me a Trailhawk that fits everything..... I'm leaning towards getting that. Especially with the different trim inside....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No problem! There's another feature I forgot: hill descent mode. Admittedly, most of the features from the second post are pretty minor, besides the bigger wheels and spare tire. Floormats would be nice as well. But for me, the skidplates, lift, and towhooks alone are worth $1200.

·
Registered
199 Posts
When you get the 27J package on the Latitude it comes with:

9 spd auto
2.4 motor
vinyl shift knob
Oil cooler
215/60R/17 touring tires
17" rims
Remote usb port

I went back & forth on Latitude vs TH, but when a commando latitude showed up at the local dealer I went for it. It's my Wife's Jeep and I wanted it to be as comfy as possible and still give her piece of mind in the midwest winters. I still drive my excellent condition '97 Cherokee with 106k miles on it so didn't necessarily need a TH even though they do look bad-ass.

·
Registered
110 Posts
it all depends what you want (and also what they have in stock unless you are going to order it). Here is a chart that makes comparing all options easy. http://www.jeep.com/model-compare/quick-chart/?modelYearCode=CUJ201509&variation=1#

Some other differences :
LT has wheel/rim options - TH does not (but why would you want fancy 18" rims for offroad)
9 speakers option only on TH
LT option for Advanced Technology Group (Collision Warning, Lane Departure, Warning, ParkSense�� Rear Park Assist)
TH no manual transmission
TH low back seats
TH 115-Volt Auxiliary Power Outlet

Personally, I would have gone with a TH, but ended up with a LT because they made me a really good deal and I wanted a new car. Part of me wishes I would have waited for a TH and also the 40/20/40 rear seats which are now starting to show up at the dealer by me. I probably wouldn't use it offroad much, but the 7" TFT Cluser and all of the black accents are what I liked the best (currently planning to plastidip my LT to give it that TH look).

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was debating the same thing and ended up going with the TH. All the add-ons mentioned above were a plus, especially the ride height, skid plates, and rock mode. I've always said better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, and that's what the TH provides. It has those added features in case you decide to do some off-roading (or at least like the off-road look), and if not the 1200$ difference is a small price to pay for those benefits of vehicle protection, resale value down the road, and the option to go off road even if you never do. Both have proved to be capable machines so enjoy whichever you choose to get! :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
What kind of 4x4ing are looking to do?

If you are going to do some real off roading and actually want an automatic transmission, the TH is the only way to go.

If you are only looking to drive in the snow or light trails and still want some comfort, the 2.4/auto 4x4 Lattitude is GTG.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wanted the orange Trailhawk, but it was ONLY available with black interior and I HATE black interior. That was a deal breaker for me. Limited wasn't available in orange, so I went with a Latitude. The colors and options and stuff on the different models are a little nutty, so it's basically just picking out which features are the most important for you and then figuring out where it fits in the options available.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What kind of 4x4ing are looking to do?

If you are going to do some real off roading and actually want an automatic transmission, the TH is the only way to go.

If you are only looking to drive in the snow or light trails and still want some comfort, the 2.4/auto 4x4 Lattitude is GTG.
Mostly light trails. I'm in Florida, so no real use for rock mode. Skidplates aren't a real necessity either, though they're certainly nice to have. Tow hooks seem like a must on any offroad vehicle, there's not much else to hook a snatch strap to when you do get stuck.

I wasn't certainly wasn't trying to "call out" any non-Trailhawk auto 4x4 owners, I mainly made this topic to make sure there wasn't something that I was missing, and to inform any other prospective buyers out there that are considering the same thing. With the prices being so close, unless you're unwilling/unable to find/wait for a TH, it seems the 4x4 auto Latitude doesn't make much sense (unless you don't like the black interior).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mostly light trails. I'm in Florida, so no real use for rock mode. Skidplates aren't a real necessity either, though they're certainly nice to have. Tow hooks seem like a must on any offroad vehicle, there's not much else to hook a snatch strap to when you do get stuck.

I wasn't certainly wasn't trying to "call out" any non-Trailhawk auto 4x4 owners, I mainly made this topic to make sure there wasn't something that I was missing, and to inform any other prospective buyers out there that are considering the same thing. With the prices being so close, unless you're unwilling/unable to find/wait for a TH, it seems the 4x4 auto Latitude doesn't make much sense (unless you don't like the black interior).
I hear ya. I'm most likely going to get a 1.4/6-speed Latitude with the brown/grey interior and lift it.
The mandatory auto trans and black interior of the TH turn me off.
However, skid plates are almost mandatory out here in Arizona.

You are right that the price difference between a 2.4/auto Latitude and a TH is small.
Just like the price difference between a Sport with air conditioning and a Latitude is small.

This is a very deliberate marketing ploy by Jeep to get as many people as possible to move " up scale " and spend more money.
By pricing certain popular options so high, picking them quickly gets you in stepping distance of the next trim level.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
For those of you on the fence, with the 9 speed issues, perhaps looking for a 4x4 with the manual trans is worth considering.

Reactions: Rebel

·
Registered
175 Posts
If I was the only driver, it's something I'd consider. The wife can't drive a stick and has zero interest in learning, lol.
I'm lucky - my wife has zero interest in a new vehicle with automatic transmission! She enjoys driving our FJ Cruiser with the stick too much and now won't settle for less than a manual :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.