Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Within a day of having my Renegade, I noticed that the fabric on the driver's door armrest had separated from the section for windows/locks/mirrors buttons on the armrest. I mentioned it to the dealer when I dropped it off to have some scratches, etc., taken care of (my Renegade had 56 miles when delivered and its use as the 'sample' had left it with a few exterior scratches and the dash was dusty - so I brought it back for them to detail - they had also neglected to fill my gas tank when delivered). When I picked it back up, the service guy said he had tucked the fabric back in where it belonged and glued it. By the time I got home, it was separated again. It almost seems too short to stay tucked under, like maybe the hole for the button section was miscut.

Pairing that with a pretty obvious anomaly on the rear driver side exterior door handle (bumps in the paint which kind of look like a raised rust spot painted over), and I'm starting to question the quality control/build quality a little.

Anyone else seeing things like this?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Exact same problem with our new Latitude, it was that way when delivered and the dealer created a work slip for it. I had it at the dealer yesterday and they ordered a new door panel. They thought the original fabric was cut too short as they said there wasn't enough fabric to tuck it under the window/lock buttons plate.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exact same problem with our new Latitude, it was that way when delivered and the dealer created a work slip for it. I had it at the dealer yesterday and they ordered a new door panel. They thought the original fabric was cut too short as they said there wasn't enough fabric to tuck it under the window/lock buttons plate.

Thank you. I think it actually had come loose before I even left after the "fix" because the sales manager who had stepped in when I complained about the condition of the vehicle upon delivery (dash dusty, no gas, etc.) said it looked like it was still separated. Service guy insisted that it wasn't, but then while taking pics of the paint anomaly to "see if Chrysler will pay to repaint it," he opted to take a pic of the door panel as well "for shits and giggles." Guess I'll see what he says when he gives me the outcome about the paint issue and press further if need be.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Absolutely have your dealer order a new door panel. It's a new car; you shouldn't have to put up with a "glued" panel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm not overly impressed by the paint job on mine either. As I went over it with a clay bar I noticed quite a few places where the paint had an air bubble and they just left it. But oh well at least I can't notice them unless I'm looking for them.

Hope they get you covered!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The paint on my car was remarkably good for a production car. It was in a well lit showroom when I bought it and I looked it over carefully. Mine was built in January 2015.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Both of my front fenders felt rather gritty, definitely not smooth. Thank god the clay bar took care of that. I agree the paint jobs could have been better.
The rengades take a bit of a trip to get where they are going. lots of ocean miles and lots of rail miles. I'm not surprised they have a lot of grit. That's why the really expensive cars get completely shrouded.

·
Registered
68 Posts
you'll need to remove that door cup and adjust the metal bar underneath it that houses the nut that the screw goes into. You'll need to pull that metal bracket closer to the inside of the vehicle, so that the door cup panel can overlap the door plastic. The problem is that the fabric is just cut at the edge, and doesn't fold around or under the lip of the plastic. hope that helps. check my speaker removal and replacement guide to see what i mean.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Within a day of having my Renegade, I noticed that the fabric on the driver's door armrest had separated from the section for windows/locks/mirrors buttons on the armrest. I mentioned it to the dealer when I dropped it off to have some scratches, etc., taken care of (my Renegade had 56 miles when delivered and its use as the 'sample' had left it with a few exterior scratches and the dash was dusty - so I brought it back for them to detail - they had also neglected to fill my gas tank when delivered). When I picked it back up, the service guy said he had tucked the fabric back in where it belonged and glued it. By the time I got home, it was separated again. It almost seems too short to stay tucked under, like maybe the hole for the button section was miscut.

Pairing that with a pretty obvious anomaly on the rear driver side exterior door handle (bumps in the paint which kind of look like a raised rust spot painted over), and I'm starting to question the quality control/build quality a little.

Anyone else seeing things like this?
EXACT same problem, same place on my arm rest on my Trailhawk.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought my Trailhawk at the end of May. I'll take a close look at the arm rest for separation. My paint job was OK, but not exceptional. I have the Anvil which looks like an enamel. I see some areas where there is orange peel, not a smooth finish. I have not found any blemishes that are under the surface, and I've been over the finish in detail twice. i've got about 6600 miles of service on the vehicle. i'm using Mother's carnauba cleaner wax now. I may look at Meguier's products in the future. The wax hold up well under the Florida sun for about three months.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
This thread is the first I'm hearing of these concerns. I would definitely like to document and make the Jeep team aware, so if those of you having this taken care of at a dealership wouldn't mind privately messaging me your VIN, contact info, and dealership info, I'd appreciate it!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.