Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Door locks stuck on!

13K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  jeffjiaofeng 
#1 ·
Hi. I have had an issue with my jeep renegade today. When I went to unlock the doors using the button on the inside after driving the locks would not unlock. I have had to open the drivers side window and manually unlock the drivers door with the key from the outside. All the other doors will not open. The boot will open and lock fine. The drivers door will lock fine with the key fob or the button on the inside but will only open using the key from outside. I have tried disconnecting the battery but no joy. Any ideas please? Thanks

#2 ·
When you say "unlock the doors using the button on the inside after driving the locks would not unlock." do you mean the BIG door-open lever on the drivers door?

I too have had this happen until I realised that on my drivers door arm-rest is a small button with a lock on it. Pressing that disengages ALL door locks.

Just the other day the same thing happened to me in another car. The driver told me to simply pull the door release latch/lever twice. Apparantly it's a safety feature on BMWs. Could this also be the same feature on the Renegade? o_O:unsure:

Please try it out and let me know (y)

#4 ·
W E L C O M E ! ! ! to the forum.

Will the passenger door lock button unlock the doors?

Does the passenger door unlock when you pull the inside door handle?

Check fuses, probably the ones in the Body Control Module (BCM), this fuse box under the dash.

The Drivers Door Control Module could be faulty.
(How it works: You request to unlock the doors from the drivers side unlock switch (the switch assembly is the Door Control Module). The Door Control Module tells the BCM what you want it to do and the BCM unlocks the doors. If you press the passenger door unlock switch, the passenger Door Control Module makes a request to the drivers side Door Control Module, which in turn tells the BCM what you want it to do and the BCM unlocks the doors.) (It is the same process when you want to roll down a window from any of the doors. All request are made to the drivers side Door Control Module which tells the BCM what it is you want to do.)

Might require a Software update for the BCM.

#5 ·
10 minutes ago when locking my car I momentarily had a flash of genius and remembered your post.

I have a habit of double pressing the lock on my key fob and it stems from 2 other cars that I had. This is something I do automatically with the Jeep and you can clearly hear the locks activating in a different manner on the second press of the fob.

Guys feel free to tell me if I'm wrong on this: A single click locks the doors but a second click activates the "Dead Lock".

The dead lock works on the principle that if your car is broken into eg. Smashed window that the crook cannot open the doors using the handles. It's a security feature that requires the insertion of the key into the lock.

@Jade, is it possible that you accidently activated the dead locks? :unsure:

Hmmm I just re-read your post and this won't be the issue as your doors are still locked. Sorry but I think IDMOR in the above post is clearly on the right track. (pardon the pun) :D

#6 ·
Thank you for your reply. I have had the breakdown people out to look at it for me as I couldn’t get into the petrol cap to put fuel in and was running on fumes so couldn’t get the garage ?

They have sorted this for me, but the doors are stuck on dead lock he said. He couldn’t get it off and said he thinks it needs a computer reset so i have just booked it in with Jeep on Friday.

Thanks for your help guys it’s really appreciated. I’ll update with the solution when it’s fixed ??

#16 ·
Hi just thought I’d update. My car is fixed ? after 5 weeks of the doors being stuck on deadlock they finally open. The new BCU has done the trick. Apparently it was a nightmare for the mechanics trying to access as it is located on the passenger side and so they had to get the door open to be able to replace ? but so far so good so ??Thank you for the advice ?

#17 ·
Hi just thought I’d update. My car is fixed ? after 5 weeks of the doors being stuck on deadlock they finally open. The new BCU has done the trick. Apparently it was a nightmare for the mechanics trying to access as it is located on the passenger side and so they had to get the door open to be able to replace ? but so far so good so ??Thank you for the advice ?
Thanks for the update.

I was laughing to myself when reading, because the BCM is on the drivers side (here in the US). lol

#20 ·
Hi jade. We are having the exact same fault. Booked in to jeep in Doncaster on the 21st Dec. Earliest we can get anyone in the area to look at it. Did you pay for the repair or warranty as wondering on cost. Thanks
Hi dear, have your door gotten fixed? Now i have the same issue my driver door cannot be opened from both inside and outside. The other doors work perfectly. Any updates? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.