Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably going to get a lot of crap for this, but it was a beautiful day in Florida so I thought, hey, let's take the doors off! (As if I owned a wrangler lol) and here's the result. I put the two back doors back on first to see how it would look

Also added a bolt-on mirror to the drivers side so I'm street legal (at least in Florida)

It throws some errors up: Check Engine, Service Air Bag System, and Audio System Not Available.

Still plays the radio when you have he back doors on though.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,087 Posts
Your right it dose look a bit funny. I think I will only take the doors off of our JKU.

Reactions: philm00x

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool... But why? Instructions?
Just wanted to see what it was like and ride around and enjoy the nice weather.

As far as instructions it's really simple.

The electrical wiring just pops off (lift up on the top tab, pull back on the arm, and the clip pops off)

There is one bolt in each hinge, top and bottom, and then one Allen Bolt in the center. Once you pull those off just lift up and put and they pop right off

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Well, it does look funny seeing a Renegade without the doors.

Don't take the doors of your Challenger. LOL

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it does look funny seeing a Renegade without the doors.

Don't take the doors of your Challenger. LOL
LOL, I know it's a little odd, but it's fun to ride. I guess I just wanted that true "Jeep" experience as this is my first Jeep. Wanted a wrangler, but financially it just didn't make much sense since I live in a pretty urbanized city in Florida.

The Challenger actually belongs to my roommate, and the red TH renegade you can see in a couple of the pictures belongs to another roommate. I guess we're just a MOPAR house.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Probably going to get a lot of crap for this, but it was a beautiful day in Florida so I thought, hey, let's take the doors off! (As if I owned a wrangler lol) and here's the result. I put the two back doors back on first to see how it would look

Also added a bolt-on mirror to the drivers side so I'm street legal (at least in Florida)

It throws some errors up: Check Engine, Service Air Bag System, and Audio System Not Available.

This is just outstanding!
#1 I would have never thought to try that on a Renegade.
#2 it's awesome that you just thought "hmm, I wonder what would happen if..." And then you went ahead and did it, and you've got the Picts to prove it!

Awesome! Big standing applause for you, my friend! Bravo!

·
Registered
580 Posts

I'm not gonna give you crap about making a runabout out of your Renegade, but I'd love to know how much less torsionally rigid the vehicle is that way. Is it noticeably twisty on the road, certainly off-road?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not gonna give you crap about making a runabout out of your Renegade, but I'd love to know how much less torsionally rigid the vehicle is that way. Is it noticeably twisty on the road, certainly off-road?
I didn't notice any difference in driving on-road, but I don't have a location near my house I can actually go off-roading as I live in a very urban area here in Florida.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Haha, too cool man, Im glad someone finally did this! Looks odd but awesome. Wouldn't say I'd do it while on the trails, but im sure it was nice around town. thumbs up!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha, too cool man, Im glad someone finally did this! Looks odd but awesome. Wouldn't say I'd do it while on the trails, but im sure it was nice around town. thumbs up!
It was a nice warm 75 degrees here in sunny Florida the day I did it, not that my renegade would tell me that because apparently with the doors off it can't tell you the temperature :)

-BP

·
Registered
10 Posts

All you needed for that extra Jeep feel is the my sky panels now! Sorry I'm chiming in late btw...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How long did it take you to get the doors off? I think it would look sweet with some sort of custom fit tubular doors. I may consider trying it. When you put the doors back on did the electrical go back to normal?

I'd go for some of these!!
http://www.autoanything.com/jeep-tops/61A7123A0A0.aspx
It didn't take too long, two 13mm (i think) bolts, and an allen bolt and she comes right off. Have to unhook the electrical wiring that goes to the doors to take it off, but it's just a clip that removes it.

Maybe 2-3 minutes per door?

Yes, all of the electrical is back to normal, no errors, no messages, and It can tell me the temperature outside again

-BP

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All you needed for that extra Jeep feel is the my sky panels now! Sorry I'm chiming in late btw...
I know! I didn't know too much about the renegade when I bought it, and didn't realize MySky was a thing. I'm looking at getting a sun roof put in, but it just won't be the same lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts