Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude 2.4L FWD
119 Posts
That is an awesome mod! Well done! What model is your Renegade?
What aftermarket brand is your main head unit?
What brand is your second screen?

How did you install the main head unit?
How did you install the second screen?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Is it removeable ? It looks to be permanently mounted. My only concern would be excessive exposure to sunlight "cooking" it, as most electronics do not handle direct exposure to sunlight.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can be done to any Renegade.
its permanently mounted, but i can remove it and put new vent cover, they are cheap on ebay!!
nothing to worry about, sun or heat wont affect it, that's jut a screen, and since its a big concern for you, its not a big deal for me, ill buy another one!! the whole thing cost $60~$100!!
how i did it?
  • cut and fix the screen on the vent cover
  • extended the cables, i used long ribbon cables from lcd to the motherboard that i installed under the vent behind the main head unit
  • wire it and its done, i only needed power, i could wire the car speakers to it and switch between the two but i don't need that, its mainly for gps, camera, inclinometer..

Road surface Asphalt Grey Rectangle Automotive lighting

Office equipment Automotive exterior Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Can be done to any Renegade.
its permanently mounted, but i can remove it and put new vent cover, they are cheap on ebay!!
nothing to worry about, sun or heat wont affect it, that's jut a screen, and since its a big concern for you, its not a big deal for me, ill buy another one!! the whole thing cost $60~$100!!
Your Jeep, your rules.

But your statement that "sun or heat won't effect it, it's just a screen" is mistaken. It's an LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) screen and sun and heat have a definite and well documented affect on LCD displays unless they are specifically designed to handle such conditions. At 60-100 bucks a pop, it's safe to say yours isn't such. If that thin black plastic housing was designed for indoor use only; it will most likely warp from built-up heat if left out in the sun too long.

I'm not peeing on your project, it looks real nice, it really does. I just wanted to show the possible ramifications of doing such a mod. Products designed for indoor desktop project use rarely survive outside conditions in the long run. Others may not be fortunate enough as you to be able buy another if it goes wrong.

But my experiences in life and with electronics may be totally wrong, and your screen may last the life of your Jeep. I sincerely hope it does.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts