Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
anybody tried MEVOTECH links?

Not from personal experience, but from some research it seems they make some good stuff. Moog is probably better, but it seems that, although the quality of the part is still good, they are shipping the wrong stuff. Happened to me with sway bar links for a Jag, and I ended up getting the stock links.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rock Auto has good prices for front and rear

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,2018,renegade,2.4l+l4,3441333,suspension,stabilizer+bar+link,7580

I prefer Mevotech but only because I have been using parts from them for years, both mevotech and Moog have grease fittings which will certainly extend the life of your links as long as you actually use them, grease fittings are worthless when you don't use them :)

If I Recall correctly both manufacturers will give you a lifetime warranty as well so you can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just installed a set of sway bar links on my 07 Jeep compass. Mevotech brand.
These links have no grease fittings so I carefully uninstalled the spring ring that holds the rubber boot in place. Then I added grease (Atom Grease)
very good quality grease which I also use on my machine tools (lathe and milling machine). I was surprised to see very little grease inside the new links.

After addiing grease I reinstalled the metal boot keeper. It was hard to do now because of the grease all over the boot made it so slippery but I still managed to put it back. Now with the extra lube I can expect the new links to last at least double the lifespan.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Do you offroad your Jeep? Water has a way of going inside the ball joints. Doesn't matter what brand of vehicle. Best way is to fill up those ball joint boots with grease. Just don't fill it up too much to the point that it "balloons"

Also protect the undercarriage parts with Fluid Film. This is an anti corrosion spray you can apply to the metal, plastic or rubber parts under the car. Inside doors, fenders wheel wells. It works but you have to reapply annually.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ordered and installed Mevotech links
well, I'm here to report that Mevotech links dead now :)
at least passenger front one
It lasted for 6 month and 15,000km
not bad in compare to OEM plastic, which I had to replace every 5-10,000km

but I expected much longer durability from Mevotech
and yes, it was properly greased twice, before install and about 2 months ago

any ideas of better links?

·
Registered
412 Posts
well, I'm here to report that Mevotech links dead now :)
at least passenger front one
It lasted for 6 month and 15,000km
not bad in compare to OEM plastic, which I had to replace every 5-10,000km

but I expected much longer durability from Mevotech
and yes, it was properly greased twice, before install and about 2 months ago

any ideas of better links?
Well that's a disappointingly short life. Just curious....how long did the original parts last? I assume thee are failing by wear in the joint, creating a rattle on washboard surfaces?

Rock Auto has good prices for front and rear

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,2018,renegade,2.4l+l4,3441333,suspension,stabilizer+bar+link,7580

I prefer Mevotech but only because I have been using parts from them for years, both mevotech and Moog have grease fittings which will certainly extend the life of your links as long as you actually use them, grease fittings are worthless when you don't use them :)

If I Recall correctly both manufacturers will give you a lifetime warranty as well so you can't go wrong either way.
Interesting that the listing for only the MOPAR parts last a production date break point on the design. Anyone know what changed on 1/27/17? (Other than the parts tripling in price....and of course I'm after the 1/27/17 build date).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well that's a disappointingly short life. Just curious....how long did the original parts last? I assume thee are failing by wear in the joint, creating a rattle on washboard surfaces?
original last for 5-10,000 km, and I'm not going to hard offroad, just occasional weekend trips around
the fail is in lower ball joint, in right passenger link
it knock on small bumps, also in city on traffic light start/stops and on quick left/right steering

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm not a fan of this style of end link. Had problems with them on my '96 Concorde. Great for responsive handling, but just adds two more joints per side that might fail. And that rattle when loaded/unloaded was the same symptom on the Chrysler.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like these have a plug for adding a grease zerk? If so, I would add the fitting if it doesn't include them, and use them often given this joints propensity for premature failure.
All fittings are included. In both versions (green and black) and I grease it before installation, same as during every tyre change
but that did not help black version to survive more than 6 months :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well guys, I'm here to tell you not to buy that "enforced geen" links from Mevotech - those are junk
Left one started to knock in upper ball today
Was installed on Jan 31, 2020
I'm not running heavy offroad, just light forest / fields rides 2-3 times / month and I always trying to be very safe

Black Mevotech lasts longer, cost cheaper

Looking for another brand for replacement now

1 - 20 of 23 Posts