Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading all the posts about the various Aliexpress / "Chinese" Android headunit installs on this forum, I decided to take the plunge and order a EKIY unit via AliExpress. It arrived well ahead of schedule and the install was pretty painless. I went from having a non touch screen radio to a 10" QLED display with Android Auto that fills out the dash nicely.

However (there is always a "however") I'm having a flashing Odometer issue. According to my Google skills that means there is some sort of CANBUS communication issue. This is perplexing because I can access all the factory settings from the new radio (it included a CANBUS decoder) and when I turn on my heated seats, open a car door, etc... it all shows up on the new car stereo.

I know some of you have installed a headunit like this on here either the actual EKIY unit or a derivative such as the Seicane and haven't really reported a flashing odometer issue. So, what possibly could I have missed along the way with my install?

I went with one of these headunits as opposed to purchasing a Pioneer/Sony ($500+ for a AA / Carplay Headunit) and then having to purchase a Maestro Link device ($100+) and then having the radio not sit flush and also with a much smaller display - in case you were curious as to the "why".

Thanks for the assistance, in advance.

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply.

I thought purchasing one of these with the CANBUS decoder built in would negate the need for the AlfaOBD software?
That is a pretty expensive piece of software for a "one-time-use" scenario as I don't see myself ever needing to use it again.

You need to do a proxy alignment with grey cable and Alfa OBD.

Go here : AlfaOBD

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude 2.4L FWD
119 Posts
Thank you for the reply.

I thought purchasing one of these with the CANBUS decoder built in would negate the need for the AlfaOBD software?
That is a pretty expensive piece of software for a "one-time-use" scenario as I don't see myself ever needing to use it again.
I hear you, but alfaobd is a very useful scan tool for the Renegade and you can do lots of things with it. It is a worthwhile investment to use with the OBDMX+ OBD2 scan tool.

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll ask around, I've got one friend that owns an auto repair shop and one friend that owns a car stereo shop. Perhaps they have some sort of tool that is similar that will allow me to do a Proxy Alignment. If not, I guess I have two choices: Live with a blinking odometer or, purchase the software and a ODBII plug lol

I hear you, but alfaobd is a very useful scan tool for the Renegade and you can do lots of things with it. It is a worthwhile investment to use with the OBDMX+ OBD2 scan tool.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been wanting a nav system but I have read problems with them (like yours) I have the u touch 3 with 5 inch display. Is there a plug and play option like an adapter for the wiring or would I need my soldering skills?

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My system came pre-wired for the factory Jeep wiring harness. Everything was "plug and play". It came with a microphone and a GPS antenna for the radio. The only issue I currently have is the flashing odometer. They say it can be fixed by a proxi alignment either by buying that software and a OBD adapter or, taking it to the dealer. I can "read" all the stock settings from the Jeep on it's own screen, I just can't change any of the settings (door locks, light delay etc...etc...) also, since putting the radio in, my parking break engages every time I put the vehicle into park. It never did that before. I'm only guessing that is caused by swapping out the radio?

If you have a Apple device, the radio supports wireless CarPlay. If you have an Android device, it only supports wired Android Auto, although you can purchase an adapter from Motorola to make it wireless.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. All things considered, I'm happy with the purchase. I was going to buy the other radio everyone else bought (the manufacturer name escapes me) but I heard they are no longer supporting Jeep and no longer make a 10" screen.

I have been wanting a nav system but I have read problems with them (like yours) I have the u touch 3 with 5 inch display. Is there a plug and play option like an adapter for the wiring or would I need my soldering skills?

·
Registered
26 Posts
There is a setting for the parking brake, it might have been changed with the radio swap but mine is manual so the setting is different as there is no park setting. I am interested in android over apple so I would need the adaptor. What website did you use? Or should I just Google the name? Thanks.

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's what I'm thinking, when the radio was swapped, all the manufacturer settings went to "default". Without the proxi aligment, I guess I'm not able to change any of the settings even though I can view them.

Are you asking me about the wireless android adapter, or you are asking me where I got the radio from? You don't need any adapter if you simply plug in your Android phone to the radio. The adapter I was speaking of was for making a "wireless" android auto.

There is a setting for the parking brake, it might have been changed with the radio swap but mine is manual so the setting is different as there is no park setting. I am interested in android over apple so I would need the adaptor. What website did you use? Or should I just Google the name? Thanks.

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I purchased the head unit from Aliexpress and opted for the model "T7 / 6G / 128G" and it took less than a month. All in, with shipping was around $310.00 I believe.

As far as the Wireless android auto adapter; Motorola just came out with one. I've heard great things about it but, I haven't purchased one for myself as yet, so I can not vouch for it.

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Discovered something new today while messing with the Radio. I had originally connected my Pixel 6 Pro to one of the USB wires coming off of the back of the radio using a USB to USBC cable. By total accident yesterday I launched the app to start Android Auto / CarPlay and while my Pixel wasn't physically connected to the USB cable, Android Auto appeared on the screen.

No Motorola adapter that I linked earlier is needed now.

I am looking for both, I would need wireless.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Once I get back from my trip in April, I am purchasing the EKIY for my 2017 Jeep Renegade Sport. I was wondering if you figured out the flashing odometer issue. I am somewhat technical inclined, was it hard to connect the radio system? Did you keep your original USB connection? Also does it connect with your reverse camera?

Thank you in advance. I was pretty sad when I found out my renegade came with UConnect 6.0 and a shitty display.

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am still working on the flashing odometer issue, unfortunately. Still waiting for the grey OBDII cable to ship. My friend owns a car stereo install shop, I brought it to him to install. I was watching his employee put it in, and it didn't look difficult at all. The only issues he had was reusing the clips from the OEM radio bezel to put into this bezel and, trying to figure out what plug goes where onto the back of the unit (there are about 3 different white plugs, and they all look exactly the same).

I ordered some USB adapter from Best Buy that sits between the Jeep factory wiring and the radio so I could keep the "Aux" USB port. From what I've read you can just trim some plastic off of the Radio USB plug to have it fit into the Jeep USB. I didn't want to hack it and the part was only like $5 or so, I just ordered it. I also ordered a GPS adapter as well that would sit between the radio and the factory harness to use the vehicle's GPS antenna instead of putting the radio's GPS antenna in. Apparently my 17 TH doesn't have a GPS antenna because the adapter would not plug in at all to the wire we thought was the GPS antenna coming from the factory harness - it's probably the XM antenna instead - since my Jeep didn't come with NAV by default so maybe they did not install a GPS Antenna?

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude 2.4L FWD
119 Posts
I am still working on the flashing odometer issue, unfortunately. Still waiting for the grey OBDII cable to ship. My friend owns a car stereo install shop, I brought it to him to install. I was watching his employee put it in, and it didn't look difficult at all. The only issues he had was reusing the clips from the OEM radio bezel to put into this bezel and, trying to figure out what plug goes where onto the back of the unit (there are about 3 different white plugs, and they all look exactly the same).

I ordered some USB adapter from Best Buy that sits between the Jeep factory wiring and the radio so I could keep the "Aux" USB port. From what I've read you can just trim some plastic off of the Radio USB plug to have it fit into the Jeep USB. I didn't want to hack it and the part was only like $5 or so, I just ordered it. I also ordered a GPS adapter as well that would sit between the radio and the factory harness to use the vehicle's GPS antenna instead of putting the radio's GPS antenna in. Apparently my 17 TH doesn't have a GPS antenna because the adapter would not plug in at all to the wire we thought was the GPS antenna coming from the factory harness - it's probably the XM antenna instead - since my Jeep didn't come with NAV by default so maybe they did not install a GPS Antenna?
Could you please share the USB adapter you bought that connects to the AUX of the jeep?
What is the GPS adapter you bought as well please? Part numbers or links would be great.

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The GPS adapter I still have. I'll be more than happy to send it to you. My Jeep apparently only had the SiriusXM antenna and no GPS antenna so I never used it. No charge of course I'll just send it.

The USB adapter I got from Best Buy .

Could you please share the USB adapter you bought that connects to the AUX of the jeep?
What is the GPS adapter you bought as well please? Part numbers or links would be great.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts