Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally read today that the Renegade has the electric steering assist that is column mounted. Versus at the rack. So it is basically rack & pinion with a steering shaft and electric assist. I doubt we will ever see truly electric steering with the steering shaft since that would necessitate motors under the water fording level of 19" high.

Am I right or wrong?

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
Well, I finally read today that the Renegade has the electric steering assist that is column mounted. Versus at the rack. So it is basically rack & pinion with a steering shaft and electric assist. I doubt we will ever see truly electric steering with the steering shaft since that would necessitate motors under the water fording level of 19" high.

Am I right or wrong?
Well it's electric power assist. With that you can put the power assist in the rack, or on the steering column. I agree with you that for fording water, on the column is a cheaper and easier packaging option. Heck, it's a hcepaer and easier option even if you aren't.

Most mass market cars don't have true steer by wire yet. Nissan is doing it in the infinti Q50. Got hit with a recall almost immediately out of the gate.

You can build components for operating underwater though, so there's no reason it couldn't be done.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.