Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Jeep provides manuals and dvd manuals that will talk about a lot of the features. But in order to get into detail you just need to play with it all. UConnect is a good way to customize a lot of the features on the Renegade.

With the Electronic Parking Brake on and pressing the acceleration pedal. The engine revs but the car won't move. Everything is electronic now... which is good and bad. You don't get the jerk like you do in older cars with mechanical ebrakes. Or in the case of worn out rear brakes, you can't drive around with the ebrake engaged.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I typically park on a slight grade so I always engage my ebrake with the switch. I've noticed a few times when you try to drive with the ebrake engages it jerks but wont move. Then this morning my father used my Jeep and I think he had some problems disengaging the E-Brake (Which he won't admit to) and as soon as I went to drive the vehicle again the brakes squealed as if they were hanging for about a thousand feet then everything went back to normal. However, now when the ebrake is engaged it automatically disengages when the car is put into gear. Can another owner please test their ebrake and give me some info on how it's working? I'd like to save a trip to the dealer if I could as my Renegade only has 1100 miles on it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
My ebrake works as expected, what did you want me to test out?

One thing I had to get used to was apuing the regular brake as a prerequisite for disengaging the ebrake. Other than that, it works as I expected it to.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
3,421 Posts
I guess just see if your ebrake disengages when you're wearing your seatbelt and you put it in gear and try to move with the brake engaged.
There are e-brake behavior options in the head unit. You can select them to behave as you described, and I have and it does.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Broc_Savagewood,

According to page 317 of the Owner's Manual:

The electric park brake will be automatically released if
the driver’s seat belt is buckled and driver’s intention to
start (in forward or reverse direction) is recognized by the
system.

I hope this answers your question!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the electronic parking brake. I am a big fan of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) so having electric motors on my wheels, and of course the switch (two of the most common electronic parts that fail), I just thing the system is a big absurd and overkill for such a vehicle. It would probably have it's place on something like the Grand Cherokee.

·
Super Moderator
3,421 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the electronic parking brake. I am a big fan of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) so having electric motors on my wheels, and of course the switch (two of the most common electronic parts that fail), I just thing the system is a big absurd and overkill for such a vehicle. It would probably have it's place on something like the Grand Cherokee.
It's a weight and space/packaging thing, and it's going to increasingly become the norm.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wow, good watch on that video. Its interesting I don't remember seeing the option to turn the "auto" feature on and off when going through everything. But I can tell you that video doesn't match my experience. Mine is set to auto and I'm not a fan at all. Video says when you put it in drive, reverse, etc it should turn off - mine does not do this, I've tried to drive away tons of times and have to swear and hit the switch to go. Its one of the 2-3 things I don't enjoy about this car.

I'm going to play with this some more since it seems I might be missing a few key things.

Great thread!

·
Registered
1 Posts
New Jeep Renegade Owner

Hey All,

I have had my 2016 Jeep Renegade for about a week now and I noticed when you hit the emergency break button you can hear a motor engage and then when you unlock the break you hear the motor again. I don't recall hearing this before but I might have had radio on. I am so use to the big e break that you pull up the handle on the break and heard nothing. So to hear a motor do the work is something new. Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
What do mean emergency brake button, the electric parking brake that is in the centre console?

·
Registered
1 Posts
How to disengage auto parking brake faster

Change gear to 1o or reverse and "immediately" press gas pedal. I was burning my head to understand how this work

·
Registered
367 Posts
Other than the first time after start, when you have to push the brake pedal to disengage the park brake, there is no need to disengage it. Come to a stop, put park brake on. when you need to move off, just accelerate and the park brake will automatically disengage.
A bit weird at first, but you soon get used to it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Wow, good watch on that video. Its interesting I don't remember seeing the option to turn the "auto" feature on and off when going through everything. But I can tell you that video doesn't match my experience. Mine is set to auto and I'm not a fan at all. Video says when you put it in drive, reverse, etc it should turn off - mine does not do this, I've tried to drive away tons of times and have to swear and hit the switch to go. Its one of the 2-3 things I don't enjoy about this car.

I'm going to play with this some more since it seems I might be missing a few key things.

Great thread!
I had a software upgrade doe a couple of months ago, and after that my parking brake automatically sets when car is put in park and engine is turned off. I thought that I would have to manually keep disengaging the brake until I read this thread. I even called the dealer and they told me that manual disengagement was the only solution.
If I put the car in drive or reverse AND have my seat belt on, the brake disengages when I press the accelerator, and it doesn't have to be a hard press. So now I know that I have 2 options.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hello,
by my Renegade, the electric brake-switch was defect before 4 weeks. So I can not releasing the parking-brake with the switch. I must start the enginge and pull out the Renegade.
This method only works, when the Renegade is standing with his rear on a wall, not when he stand with the front on a wall. ;-)
The spare part takes 2 weeks an the integration takes 1 hour. Anyway the issure was free for me.
Regards, Marian

Sorry for my badly english :-(
You made yourself clear. I call that a good job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Salesman (one whom I can trust) says that for the 2015 model year, new safety features have been added. You can now use the electronic brake as an old fashioned emergency brake if you need to without fear of locking the brakes completely up and crashing. There is an electric solenoid that activates the brakes when you flip the lever. As far as real world daily experience, you should search the Cherokee forums and ask owners there...they can tell you if they like the system or not. Personally, I think it could potentially have lots of advantages, like no more cables that can freeze, stick, and break. No more adjustments needed periodically. Less complexity to changing brake shoes/pads. That kind of thing.
I can say what the salesman has provided is not quite true, but it is close. Affixed to the brake assembly, one will find a motor. When the parking brake is engaged, that motor is actuated by an electrical impulse. Instead of a solenoid, the motor turns a screw. That screw has a 'bolt' that turns the caliper piston to apply pressure to the brake pads. This produces both desirable and undesirable affects. Desirable being that no more cables are needed to lock the vehicle down. Undesirable being that the vehicle must be put into a failsafe mode in order to replace the brakes lest damage occur (ask me how I know).

Once the motors has moved the piston, ways to mobilize the wheel include disengaging the parking brake (press button), counter rotate the motor manually, remove the caliper parking motor assembly, and others. Power failure is not a concern as once the motor has done it's job, there is a mechanical 'lock' completed.

All this to say, I believe a superior system would have been to actuate the cables of an emergency brake to secure the vehicle rather than actuate the caliper piston; thus creating a true electronic emergency brake and not an electronic parking brake. Most folks don't and won't use a parking brake in an automatic transmission. But I do believe many folks are like me and wish to have additional piece of mind against their vehicle rolling down a hill and by extension would prefer to have an additional measure taken to immobilize the rotor/wheel like an emergency brake.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts