Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Awesome. It really sounds great. I wonder how much of a difference the ECM actually made power/tq wise. You probably gained a peak of ~25-30hp and tq, and a good amount of power throughout the range. I just can't wait until they get intakes and downpipes out on the market. A nice front mount IC would be awesome too. By the way, FX Caprara...are you near Oswego? My dad races cars and FXC Chevrolet Buick is one of his sponsors.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. It really sounds great. I wonder how much of a difference the ECM actually made power/tq wise. You probably gained a peak of ~25-30hp and tq, and a good amount of power throughout the range. I just can't wait until they get intakes and downpipes out on the market. A nice front mount IC would be awesome too. By the way, FX Caprara...are you near Oswego? My dad races cars and FXC Chevrolet Buick is one of his sponsors.
Yes! I'm near Oswego, and that is very cool! and yeah i can't wait for a cold air intake to hit the market, it will sound very nice.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
30+ hp on a vehicle that pushes out 18psi stock on a small turbo? Unless the engine runs really rich with a buttload of margin for knock from the factory, I'm a bit skeptical that that is going ot be what most people see on generally available pump gas.

I'm going to guess it's either 1) running way more on the ragged edge than they claim, or 2) the median increase in output is going to be well under 30HP. I tend not to trust unexplained black boxes. It's not like there is magic going on competitors don't know about, so when you don't say what you are doing, it's the customer you are keeping secrets from. Either because it's a bad idea, or because you aren't producing the results you say you will.

If it's a ball bearing turbo, it might tolerate 3-4 more psi if the fueling system and intercooler will manage it.

·
vBToucan.com Vendor
1,058 Posts
Hi there all! I just wanted to chime in if I may.

My name is Joseph and I'm actually the Sales Manager here at MADNESS Autoworks. I also own a Fiat 500 Turbo which happens to be the same motor that you'll see in models of the Renegade. To give you an idea on this motor that stock pushes 17-19psi I'm safely running 24+ with a tune and of course a few off the shelf bolt-ons!

Our ECU Module is hands down my #1 selling product for this 1.4 Turbo motor. Trust me, the difference you'll experience is night and day. That best way to think about this product is picture it like an amplifier and your stock ECU is the stereo system. It's all plug and play, nothing permanent, zero trace of the install and you'll see instant results! What's also cool about this product is it comes with that's called a Bypass Plug which pretty much means you can turn your car back to stock within seconds. This is perfect for trouble shooting or dealer visits.

If anyone happens to have and questions or would like further details you can always shoot me an email - [email protected]

Thank you,

Joseph

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Hi there all! I just wanted to chime in if I may.

My name is Joseph and I'm actually the Sales Manager here at MADNESS Autoworks. I also own a Fiat 500 Turbo which happens to be the same motor that you'll see in models of the Renegade. To give you an idea on this motor that stock pushes 17-19psi I'm safely running 24+ with a tune and of course a few off the shelf bolt-ons!

Our ECU Module is hands down my #1 selling product for this 1.4 Turbo motor. Trust me, the difference you'll experience is night and day. That best way to think about this product is picture it like an amplifier and your stock ECU is the stereo system. It's all plug and play, nothing permanent, zero trace of the install and you'll see instant results! What's also cool about this product is it comes with that's called a Bypass Plug which pretty much means you can turn your car back to stock within seconds. This is perfect for trouble shooting or dealer visits.

If anyone happens to have and questions or would like further details you can always shoot me an email - [email protected]

Thank you,

Joseph
Do you have a dyno video?

·
vBToucan.com Vendor
1,058 Posts
Do you have a dyno video?
Hi syzygy,

We currently do not have a dyno video.

The 1.4L motor is now pretty common among Chrysler cars such has the FIAT 500 ABARTH, FIAT 500L, Dodge Dart and Jeep Renegade.

We have had many customers in North America dyno their cars and from the feedback we get and the posts they make on other forums, it is usually reported that they gain about 30+ HP.

Now dyno numbers may vary due to the weather, type of dyno and condition of the dyno, but typically the gains are roughly 30+ HP. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Something you may try is take the filter element out of the stock air box. It sounds cool. BOV is louder too. I noticed a very slight performance difference too as it breathes easier.
I would not recommend running an engine without some kind of air filter. Over the years I have seen various bugs, leaves etc in the air box. Had there not been no filtration all the debris could have gone into the engine.

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
vBToucan.com Vendor
1,058 Posts
How about torque? Is that increased? and, if yes, by how much?

Also, do you ship abroad? (Europe)
As many of you know the 1.4L Engine in the Renegade is identical for the FIAT 500X, practically the same as the one in the FIAT 500 ABARTH and the 1.4L Dodge Dart.

When measuring the torque gains on the 1.4L motor using our MADNESS ECU Module the gains ranged between 212-233lbs. We say "ranged" because doing a dyno run on this engine is not like doing a dyno on your older or more basic engine. The 1.4L Multi Air in rather advanced when compared to many other engines on the market today. It is designed to optimize power, minimize fuel economy and most importantly run very clean.

Because of this most basic dynos do not give you proper and consistent output. You can drastically different numbers based on outside climate, type of dyno, elevation, fuel and a number of other factors.

Because of this we do not make a specific claim, but instead give you a range. We feel this is a more honest approach and one that has worked for us for years.

Here is what we can tell you and everyone else to sum it up:

1. This is a very high quality product that we have offered for years with excellent feedback.

2. This is the newest version that includes a camshaft sensor for smooth power delivery. Most other boxes do not.

3. The unit comes with a bypass plug that allows you to remove the module in seconds if you ever have a need to get the vehicle to stock form.

4. The unit comes with a 12 month warranty that we fully stand behind.

5. The unit is designed to offer proven, reliable, safe power and not over stress the powertrain. We have been pushing our 1.4L to over 240+ for well over one year with no issues. The gain you feel will is very noticeable, but no where close to max that the engine can handle.

6. If you want an even better feel pair it up with our MADNESS GOPedal. We promise you it will put a big smile on your face. If not, give us a buzz and we will make sure you are satisfied!

Do we ship outside US? Yes, we ship globally on daily basis and can ship anywhere in the world. If you are located outside of US and have higher octane fuel then the 91 we have here in California your gains should be even better.

As always if you have any questions we are only a call away and since we have this same module on our own Renegade we can assist you with any install questions as well.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thank you for your reply.
I would really like to see a dyno diagram with before and after curves/lines (before/after installing the ECM).

I suppose that you should have something like that as it is the only way to test if your module is working fine.

I would like to see how smooth the lines are after the installation of the ECM.

It is not always a matter of just increasing the HP and torque, but also to see where (at what rpm) the engine gains the extra power.

Can you please provide something like that?
Thank you.

·
vBToucan.com Vendor
1,058 Posts
Thank you for your reply.
I would really like to see a dyno diagram with before and after curves/lines (before/after installing the ECM).

I suppose that you should have something like that as it is the only way to test if your module is working fine.

I would like to see how smooth the lines are after the installation of the ECM.

It is not always a matter of just increasing the HP and torque, but also to see where (at what rpm) the engine gains the extra power.

Can you please provide something like that?
Thank you.

No problem at all, but it will be done sometime next month after we get a little caught up and get our Renegade back from the show circuit.

We have all the graphs for the engine and they are great. We have been offering a version of this module (this is the newest version) since 2012 with excellent feedback. However, the graphs you want are from an ABARTH (same engine) and not the Renegade. We know it pulls hard, runs smooth and mostly importantly safely.

Once the shows are done we will then get our Renegade or another one with the same engine and module on a dyno and post up the graphs for all to see.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
So not just a chip. Are any of those bolt ons a bigger/more efficient intercooler, methanol injection, etc?

Aslo how many miles on the 240hp car? tuning something and putting 100 or 1000 miles on it ins a year at show or the strip is not neceesarily a sign of durability.

·
Registered
261 Posts
No problem at all, but it will be done sometime next month after we get a little caught up and get our Renegade back from the show circuit.

We have all the graphs for the engine and they are great. We have been offering a version of this module (this is the newest version) since 2012 with excellent feedback. However, the graphs you want are from an ABARTH (same engine) and not the Renegade. We know it pulls hard, runs smooth and mostly importantly safely.

Once the shows are done we will then get our Renegade or another one with the same engine and module on a dyno and post up the graphs for all to see.

Thanx. I look forward to seeing the before and after graphs of the renegade.
Please don't forget.
Keep up the good work.

·
vBToucan.com Vendor
1,058 Posts
Aslo how many miles on the 240hp car? tuning something and putting 100 or 1000 miles on it ins a year at show or the strip is not neceesarily a sign of durability.
I could not agree with you more!

The 240hp car is my (Boris) personal vehicle. I also own the Blue Jeep Renegade that you see us post and talk about.

I have driven over 12,000+ miles on the vehicle since the upgrades were done. My car may look like a show queen, but it is not.

The car gets lot's of daily use, occasional spirited mountain drives with an occasional track weekend.

It is also completely outfitted with just about every upgrade possible including a complete custom interior, roll cage, carbon fiber throughout and a custom sound system.

All the cars we build are designed to function well and look great. What good is a beautiful car if you can't go out and enjoy what it was built for.

Here are some pics of the car as it is right now in street trim and I have also included a picture of the same car competing in the Optima Ultimate Street Car Invitationals.

The only additional modification work done to the vehicle in order to compete was the addition of decals.

The vehicle was featured at SEMA, shot for a TV Show and the very next day we raced it with Optima. When the racing was done I drove it home (5 hour drive).

So, our goal is to offer reliable, proven upgrades that we personally use and believe in.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts

Hi again! Any news on the above? Have you got back the Renegade or have you dyno-tested another Renegade 1.4 so as to provide the before/after graphs??

Really looking forward to it!
Thanx!

·
vBToucan.com Vendor
1,058 Posts
Hi again! Any news on the above? Have you got back the Renegade or have you dyno-tested another Renegade 1.4 so as to provide the before/after graphs??

Really looking forward to it!
Thanx!
Hi madvinegar,

We are currently testing the bars and the lift kit. We will be doing that until January. Then after that we will schedule a time for dynos.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would not recommend running an engine without some kind of air filter. Over the years I have seen various bugs, leaves etc in the air box. Had there not been no filtration all the debris could have gone into the engine.
I recently serviced my Dodge (MB) Sprinter van. I drive 99.5% highway, mostly in Michigan or nearby states yet I had to use my shop vacuum to suck sand (like beach sand) out of the bottom of the air cleaner housing. Every time I've serviced it I've found the same thing, sometimes with leaves, small twigs, etc.

I would never consider running an engine without a decent air cleaner in place. I fly an airplane and you wouldn't believe the junk a filter can pick up, even while cruising thousands of feet in the air!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
As many of you know the 1.4L Engine in the Renegade is identical for the FIAT 500X, practically the same as the one in the FIAT 500 ABARTH and the 1.4L Dodge Dart.

When measuring the torque gains on the 1.4L motor using our MADNESS ECU Module the gains ranged between 212-233lbs. We say "ranged" because doing a dyno run on this engine is not like doing a dyno on your older or more basic engine. The 1.4L Multi Air in rather advanced when compared to many other engines on the market today. It is designed to optimize power, minimize fuel economy and most importantly run very clean.

Because of this most basic dynos do not give you proper and consistent output. You can drastically different numbers based on outside climate, type of dyno, elevation, fuel and a number of other factors.

Because of this we do not make a specific claim, but instead give you a range. We feel this is a more honest approach and one that has worked for us for years.

Here is what we can tell you and everyone else to sum it up:

1. This is a very high quality product that we have offered for years with excellent feedback.

2. This is the newest version that includes a camshaft sensor for smooth power delivery. Most other boxes do not.

3. The unit comes with a bypass plug that allows you to remove the module in seconds if you ever have a need to get the vehicle to stock form.

4. The unit comes with a 12 month warranty that we fully stand behind.

5. The unit is designed to offer proven, reliable, safe power and not over stress the powertrain. We have been pushing our 1.4L to over 240+ for well over one year with no issues. The gain you feel will is very noticeable, but no where close to max that the engine can handle.

6. If you want an even better feel pair it up with our MADNESS GOPedal. We promise you it will put a big smile on your face. If not, give us a buzz and we will make sure you are satisfied!

Do we ship outside US? Yes, we ship globally on daily basis and can ship anywhere in the world. If you are located outside of US and have higher octane fuel then the 91 we have here in California your gains should be even better.

As always if you have any questions we are only a call away and since we have this same module on our own Renegade we can assist you with any install questions as well.
When you say the torque gain is "212-233lbs" do you mean gain or value achieved? that figure seems very high for a gain.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.