Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Engine died (again!!)

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Len9657 
#1 ·
Back in October/November 2019, I posted an issue "Engine died during turn". The shop was able to fix my 2018 Sports Renegade (warranty) and I thought that was going to be the end of it. Well, I was wrong, it happened again! problem is the car is being used by my kid in college (yes, he is still there in Pullman, WA as he is a grad student and his lab is still going. Pretty much the same failure mechanism: engine dies, it won't start again. Had to be towed to the local dealership. Aaaaaargh!
Last time it was some electrical problem which took some time to figure out by the technicians..

#3 ·
Well, one week in the shop. Called middle of it and they said "they were waiting for a part..." But yesterday, the called and said the car "did not need a new part after all, looks like the driver's habits are creating the problem"... something about engine being flooded because the car is driven only for a few miles each time (which is true); they explained that the engine is not warming up enough. The tech recommends to "warm up" the engine before each drive.
Now, if we were talking about my grandfather old car, I would think this is reasonable. but in the 21st Century!!!! come on, give me a break.
I am so disappointed at this reasoning.

#7 ·
My response would've been, "Wait a minute.....at SOME point in your "professional diagnosis" you determined a part was needed, then ordered said part. HOW did it progress from a "broken part" to "drivers habit" ?? Did your tech actually diagnose the problem or is just throwing parts at it ?? How competent are your techs ?? At what point in this whole process did it change from "broken part" to "drivers habit" ?? And EXACTLY how was that determined ? My Momma only raised one fool and it wasn't me.".

I'd say, "Box it up, I'm going to another dealer", then leave.

#9 ·
Back in October/November 2019, I posted an issue "Engine died during turn". The shop was able to fix my 2018 Sports Renegade (warranty) and I thought that was going to be the end of it. Well, I was wrong, it happened again! problem is the car is being used by my kid in college (yes, he is still there in Pullman, WA as he is a grad student and his lab is still going. Pretty much the same failure mechanism: engine dies, it won't start again. Had to be towed to the local dealership. Aaaaaargh!
Last time it was some electrical problem which took some time to figure out by the technicians..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.