Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the identical issue as "jonkat44" from a Jan 2017 post. My engines shuts off less than a minute into a touches car wash, in neutral gear. I was told by service dept at my Jeep dealership that this was not a problem/issue, that it was in fact a safety feature. I have looked through my owners manual and several Jeep forums and did not find that to be the case. Is there any type of resolution that anyone knows of? Did "jonkat44" ever get this problem resolved?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Brazuka222, now you got me scared. I power washed my Rene' engine bay with soap while the engine is running, lucky it did not shut off. My confidence someday will get the best out of me.. I do this to all my cars most to my wranglers.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
got me wondering lol - i wonder if the car running threw the car wash in "N" without the seatbelt on would trigger it to shut and turn on the brake ? was your parking brake on when it came to the end ?
weird

maybe its some safe mode feature - try to run it threw with the belt clicked in next time , who knows

·
Registered
676 Posts
Mud always goes inside past in between the headlights and the hood area on both sides when I go for trail mudding. That is why I have to power wash the engine bay. But I leave the engine running when I do it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Parking brake was not on. Vehicle must be able to roll freely in automatic car wash. I did have my seatbelt on mostly every time. This happens "every" time I go through. The service rep just called and told me since they could not duplicate the issue, it was a non-issue. I asked if they went through a touchless car wash to see if they could replicate the issue and the answer was no. So, how exactly can they say they were not able to duplicate the issue if you didn't try to take it through a car wash? I asked to have this all in writing but I get the feeling the service ticket will be vague or simply just say they could not duplicate the issue and have me on my way.
elf88 do you have a Renegade? If yes, I'm guessing this has not happened to you?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brazuka222, now you got me scared. I power washed my Rene' engine bay with soap while the engine is running, lucky it did not shut off. My confidence someday will get the best out of me.. I do this to all my cars most to my wranglers.
Maybe it does not affect all Renegades. Maybe it is as someone had replied to jonkat44 that the electrical harness needed to be sealed. Someone else thought it could be water in getting in the crank position sensor wiring/connector. I asked my service rep if they would check that for me. I'll see what the final outcome is tomorrow when I pick up my vehicle.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
no i have never had this happen !
i will get it washed again sometime this week as its raining yet again !

and as far as the dealer saying they cant duplicate is dumb - like u said u told them it does this in a wash - they didnt send it threw the wash , so they cant duplicate it !!

give them 10 bucks have them go threw - or have the service manager go with you to one and show him , and yes get it in writing, and that they didnt test it the way it should have been

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no i have never had this happen !
i will get it washed again sometime this week as its raining yet again !

and as far as the dealer saying they cant duplicate is dumb - like u said u told them it does this in a wash - they didnt send it threw the wash , so they cant duplicate it !!

give them 10 bucks have them go threw - or have the service manager go with you to one and show him , and yes get it in writing, and that they didnt test it the way it should have been
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I will not leave dealership until I do get it in writing. I wish that Jeep Corp. would monitor these forums to give their input. Wish they would crack down on these horribly run service departments. Maybe it's more cost effective not admitting there is a problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I run my 16 trailhawk thru the car wash usually once a week and have not had any problem with it shutting off the engine. The only issue I have is forgetting to shut off the auto wipers

·
Registered
676 Posts
Brazuka, you have a major problem.

After I go trail and mud rides, I always carwash mine thereafter. Depends on how dirty she got, sometimes I go touch-less auto for minor dirt or manual power wash when mud is too much... all the time with my engine running. I hit inside the engine bay for the muds as well and no problem.

Do not settle for less, I think that is a serious safety concern. A jeep going through carwash will stall the engine and they said is normal? Who are they kidding?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brazuka, you have a major problem.

After I go trail and mud rides, I always carwash mine thereafter. Depends on how dirty she got, sometimes I go touch-less auto for minor dirt or manual power wash when mud is too much... all the time with my engine running. I hit inside the engine bay for the muds as well and no problem.

Do not settle for less, I think that is a serious safety concern. A jeep going through carwash will stall the engine and they said is normal? Who are they kidding?
I picked up my vehicle today and had the service ticket re-written to say this is a safety feature. The statement they issued was that they tested and inspected and this was a normal characteristic of vehicle and operates as designed. The service ticket listed a number of computer updates (pcm, tcm, icm, bcm, abs) which they said were available but had nothing to do with my engine shut off issue. I looked up and found that some of those updates are engine and transmission related. I'm hoping they resolve my engine shut off issue. I will run my Renegade through the car wash this weekend to see if the cure was in one of those updates.
It most certainly is a safety issue as rainy season approaches, I don't want to get caught going through flooded areas and having my engine die with other vehicles behind me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: Just ran my car through car wash and not only did the engine shut off but now I'm guessing because of the updates, the emergency brake automatically engages when the gear is shifted to park. So now I have one extra step to restart the engine at the end of the car wash. I had to honk my horn for the people at the car wash to stop the cars on the track behind me from slamming into me to give me enough time to restart. There happened to be another Renegade a few cars ahead of me and when I approached the owner and asked if the same thing happens to her car, she told me she had many complaints but that wasn't one of them.
At this point I will have to contact Jeep Corp. for help since the dealership is claiming this is a "normal" safety function.

·
Registered
676 Posts
brazuka document these occurrence and go research to qualify for the lemon law. You don't want this happen to you in heavy traffic speed of 45 MPH or so with bunch of trucks flowing through heavy rain and standing water.

Just imagine yourself inside your small Renegade, a large truck is passing by you splashing some standing water towards you (a simulation of the cars wash) but you are at a speed of 45 MPH with poor visibility as all the cars swoops through at the same speed as you are going through the flow on heavy rush hour....

Then your jeep stalls !!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I run my through a Splash car wash here locally maybe twice a month and I have never experienced anything like this. Have you played in some mud holes or watery areas to see if splashing water up inside the bay has the same effect? You would think it would?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Update: Just ran my car through car wash and not only did the engine shut off but now I'm guessing because of the updates, the emergency brake automatically engages when the gear is shifted to park. So now I have one extra step to restart the engine at the end of the car wash. I had to honk my horn for the people at the car wash to stop the cars on the track behind me from slamming into me to give me enough time to restart. There happened to be another Renegade a few cars ahead of me and when I approached the owner and asked if the same thing happens to her car, she told me she had many complaints but that wasn't one of them.
At this point I will have to contact Jeep Corp. for help since the dealership is claiming this is a "normal" safety function.
I think in the settings you can toggle the parking brake setting to engage when placed in park or not too. I'll look at it on my lunch break.

·
Super Moderator
3,378 Posts
Also, when/if you contact lemon lawyers, ask them about any recourse for the item sold to you not being as described. At least with the TH, they advertise the ability to ford water up to 19".

·
Registered
676 Posts
Brazuka, any update on your jeep?

It reminded me your problem when I car washed my Renegade this afternoon after a mud trails. I sprayed soap soaked and rinsed my engine bay while the engine was running, no problem.

Hope you got the lemon law on your side. Good luck to you man.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Brazuka, any update on your jeep?

It reminded me your problem when I car washed my Renegade this afternoon after a mud trails. I sprayed soap soaked and rinsed my engine bay while the engine was running, no problem.

Hope you got the lemon law on your side. Good luck to you man.
Finally got the dealership to admit this is not a "safety feature" and is in fact a problem that my vehicle and a few others are experiencing. I had an appt with the service manager to drop off my vehicle Friday (4/7/17) at 10am, I was there at 9:30am. The manager did not show for appt and did not leave a message for me. Apparently he was in a meeting all day and did not call until after I contacted Jeep Corp shortly after 3pm to let them know that once again the dealership was dropping the ball. There was never an apology and at that point he would only relay he would call me back once a technical advisor got back to him. He had a service rep call me back later to say there was a problem and won't know what the fix is until possibly Monday the 10th. I did get a loaner and hopefully will know something soon. I will update once I know what the fix or if there is a fix. I'm hoping it's a simple fix of a sensor or a program.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: The only update I have to date from the dealership service dept is that there is "no update". They have a "STAR" ticket filed with Jeep Corp and the fix is nowhere in site. Including the first time I brought in my vehicle for the same engine shut off issue, the dealership has been in possession of my Renegade a total of 9 days and counting. This feels like there is no end or resolution in site.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts