Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
It does seem to say that, and yes, they recommend 0W-30 ACEA C2 fully synthetic.

It's still an insane interval, and I doubt you will see it in US manuals as such. For the dodge dart, it's 8k mile intervals if you live in the la-la land that isn't considered severe duty.

So no traffic, no dust, no gravel, no stoplights, no on ramps, no... well pretty much everything we refer to as traffic.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So no traffic, no dust, no gravel, no stoplights, no on ramps, no... well pretty much everything we refer to as traffic.
Hmmm. My new Kia has a low threshhold for severe service as well. Winter 'salty' conditions in my area mandate the severe schedule with its 3750 mile oil change. Even in the summer...

But I can say I've seen many oil analyses OK synthetic oil at 15k and even 18k miles service interval. (These are fleet cars with fleet managers). And I too doubt the US intervals will go that high.

And alot of people will say the 0w weight is for fuel economy standards. I'll bet alot of these same people will go to 5w30. Especially in the summer.

What I am glad to see is the frequent brake fluid change. I am a huge proponent to clear dry brake fluid.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It will come with an Oil Life Monitor, change the oil when it says but no later then 10,000 miles or 1 year. That is how the Dodge Dart is stated in the manual and since they use the same engine, I assume it would be the same.

Scott

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
These service intervals are getting crazy and they beg me to question how they came up with them and if any harm is being done to the internal systems. what a change from vehicles that required oil service every 5k.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It will come with an Oil Life Monitor, change the oil when it says but no later then 10,000 miles or 1 year. That is how the Dodge Dart is stated in the manual and since they use the same engine, I assume it would be the same.Scott
I agree. Probably.

These service intervals are getting crazy and they beg me to question how they came up with them and if any harm is being done to the internal systems.
I usually follow up with Blackstone analysis at first change and yearly thereafter. If the oil life monitor beats the analysis recommendations, then I'll begin to trust it. In any case, it'll be interesting to compare. Like comparing the MPG monitor to real fill-up measurements.

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
These service intervals are getting crazy and they beg me to question how they came up with them and if any harm is being done to the internal systems. what a change from vehicles that required oil service every 5k.
For a normally aspirated engine, they might be plausible.

For a turbo? No.. just no. There's too much user variability, and even synthetics don't deal well with having the turbo spun up for a while and then suddenly parking and letting it heat soak.

Also I live in NJ, so everything is stop and go or speed and slow.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I agree. Probably.

I usually follow up with Blackstone analysis at first change and yearly thereafter. If the oil life monitor beats the analysis recommendations, then I'll begin to trust it. In any case, it'll be interesting to compare. Like comparing the MPG monitor to real fill-up measurements.
That's a good thing to do, i was never aware of blackstone analysis, that is something i'll definitely look into.

another thing i'll make sure to do is check the oil myself.
being a hands-on guy, it's something i'd naturally do anyways.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Changing Oil

Has any one seen photos or taken photos of the underside showing the location of the oil filter on a 2.4? I still change the oil myself and ease of access to the filter is an important issue. I've seen the pictures of the engine itself and I believee the filter is on the left side, but I have no idea what's below it :|

·
Registered
148 Posts
Changing Oil

Has any one seen photos or taken photos of the underside showing the location of the oil filter on a 2.4? I still change the oil myself and ease of access to the filter is an important issue. I've seen the pictures of the engine itself and I believee the filter is on the left side, but I have no idea what's below it :|
Inline with Jeepriot’s question I would like to know if the skidpan, on vehicles equipped with them, has to be removed in order to gain access to the filter and or oil drain plug?
BBM

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd like to know too. But I do know the tranny level is a dealer recommended level check. There's no dipstick I'm aware of for the auto.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Your synthetics can go much longer with out an oil change than natural. Today's vehicles come with an oil change indicator dependent on how you drive is when it comes on. It uses an equation of fuel injector rate, engine speed, and so on. The easier you drive the longer the interval, the more you flog it, the shorter the interval. The good thing about Fiats turbo motor is after shut down it has an auxiliary water pump to pump coolant through the turbo to keep oil from breaking down and coking of the bearings. What I do is when I buy a new car is after the first 4K miles I change the oil regardless of how I drive or what the indicator says. After that, I just go buy the indicator. I have never had an issue. Word of note, With the turbo Fiat motor on average I go 8K- 9K miles between oil intervals (I'm up to 48K on my Abarth) in that time I will go through 2 quarts of oil. If you let it go with out checking or refilling thats nearly half the oil capacity so you half to keep up on it. (Not bashing my car or Fiat Raz, just providing a fact for future 1.4T owners ;) ).

The brake fluid I'm surprised at. The seems a little much. The general rule I have is every two years or 30K.

·
Registered
134 Posts
MINI tried this...had oil change interval set to 15,000 miles on their 4-cylinder engines. After numerous complaints of sludging, carbon buildup, and even engine failures, they revised the interval to 10,000 miles with the 2013 model year. Direct injection engines run DIRTY. Just look at the tailpipes. They make soot like a diesel. Long term oil intervals are bad...especially for these engine types. I would recommend to never exceed 10,000 miles, with 5,000 miles being a better choice for a DI engine...regardless of what is in the owners manual.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.