Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experienced this?
This has happened to me twice: I checked the tire pressures on the Driver's Display and the right rear tire showed 5 pounds less than the other 3 tires. I watched it for a couple of days and the pressure was consistently lower on that tire. I went to the dealer and they checked the tire and said nothing was wrong. I continued to watch it and for a day or two, the pressures looked the same. But then it happened again. I went back to the dealer and they "fixed it" but didn't say what they fixed.

Several months later, this week I noticed the left rear tire showed pressure 4-6 pounds lower. So I took my Renegade to the dealer on Saturday. And hour and a half later, the service advisor says that they didn't find anything wrong but advised me to keep an eye on it. When I got in my Jeep, the pressures showed 38, 38, 38, 30 (same as when I drove in). About 10 miles later, I checked the pressures and they were all the same (36). This morning, they were all about the same (35, 35, 36, 36).

She has nitrous in the tires, which is supposed to be less subject to fluctuations.

I'm guessing it's the tire gauge instead of the tire. Has anyone else experienced this problem??

Thanks.

· Registered
1,613 Posts
Has anyone else experienced this?
This has happened to me twice: I checked the tire pressures on the Driver's Display and the right rear tire showed 5 pounds less than the other 3 tires. I watched it for a couple of days and the pressure was consistently lower on that tire. I went to the dealer and they checked the tire and said nothing was wrong. I continued to watch it and for a day or two, the pressures looked the same. But then it happened again. I went back to the dealer and they "fixed it" but didn't say what they fixed.

Several months later, this week I noticed the left rear tire showed pressure 4-6 pounds lower. So I took my Renegade to the dealer on Saturday. And hour and a half later, the service advisor says that they didn't find anything wrong but advised me to keep an eye on it. When I got in my Jeep, the pressures showed 38, 38, 38, 30 (same as when I drove in). About 10 miles later, I checked the pressures and they were all the same (36). This morning, they were all about the same (35, 35, 36, 36).

She has nitrous in the tires, which is supposed to be less subject to fluctuations.

I'm guessing it's the tire gauge instead of the tire. Has anyone else experienced this problem??

Thanks.

Can you not check the pressures yourself without going to a dealer.

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you not check the pressures yourself without going to a dealer.
I did not go to the dealer simply to "check the tire pressures."

While I did not have a tire gauge handy but could have purchased one somewhere, I went to the service dept because: there is no spare and I was getting ready to go out of town, SO...

I went to the dealer (I've been a customer there for sales and service for 15 years) expecting that, IF the pressures as shown by the display were CORRECT and one tire was low that they would FIX the tire. If they found that the pressures shown by the display were WRONG, they would check the SENSORS. What's the point of having a vehicle equipped with tire sensors if you can't trust them?

The problem was that it was a Holiday weekend and they didn't have full staff, so there were some things they could (or would) not check.

Reactions: syzygy

· Registered
181 Posts
I would continue to check your tire pressures with a good old fashion tire gauge. I have never found the sensors to be very accurate. I set the pressures manually so I KNOW what the pressures are. Inevitable, the display will be a pound or two off, but I know a few degrees up or down is nothing to worry about.

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:)

I would continue to check your tire pressures with a good old fashion tire gauge. I have never found the sensors to be very accurate. I set the pressures manually so I KNOW what the pressures are. Inevitable, the display will be a pound or two off, but I know a few degrees up or down is nothing to worry about.
Thanks for the feedback and suggestion, especially since you've had experience with tire sensors, this is my first vehicle equipped with them. I got a new tire gauge and will keep an eye on the pressures. :)

Reactions: syzygy

· Registered
715 Posts
You can't ever go wrong with setting your own pressures monthly, or more often in colder climates. The sensors are designed to trigger a light when they are 10-15% under the intended pressure of the vehicle. Heat will rise that pressure naturally and sitting and driving less will slowly dwindle down. If the jeep feels sloppier than usual, you may be a few pounds low

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.