Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Renegade Longitude Multiair 140hp automatic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 2015 Renegade now for a couple of months, it's the 6-speed automatic European model.

One thing that bugs me is that Stop & Start has never worked. I can switch it on and off, but it never engages; the engine simply never stops. I know it depends on all kinds of things, like engine temperature, battery health, power usage (like A/C of charging your phone).

But it, never, never activates. I have however driven two other Renegades, same model, same age, and they simply stopped & started at every traffic light.

So I took it to the official Jeep dealer and they immediately started talking me out of it. They "explained" that stop & start is "mostly an annoying feature" and that under "many circumstances, it will not engage, which is normal". Finally they asked me if I "really wanted to have it fixed". I think that is just horrible. It's a feature on the car, so it should work, right? It works on other models, so why not on mine?

So I said "yes" and the next day I picked it back up and I was told that they boosted the battery with a full charge to fix it. Since then, it has never worked.

What to do next? Should I believe them, or shouldld I demand it be fixed?

·
Registered
246 Posts
When i first had this Limited new it took two months before the stop-start worked and it only works when i travel at least 50mls in one go. Yep its all down to the battery.

·
Super Moderator
1,576 Posts
Could be a battery issue. Which is the main reason S/S doesn't work.
Sounds like the dealer fobbed you off. I hope they did not charge you for the "work".

Are they a joint Fiat dealer?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Nev thanks, yes they are joint Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep dealer. I did not pay for it, because it is under warranty by the company where I bought it (which is another car dealer), so THEY paid for it.

I know from several other cars (Toyota, Mitsubishi) that I owned, that stop & start is always a pain in the groin to get working properly. Most of the time the battery is too weak.

But even in the case of a weak battery, they SOMETIMES engage and stop correctly. My Jeep has never shown any sign of life.

I really need the function, because I live in the city (in the Netherlands) which has the longest known red-light times of the entire country. I am idling more than actually driving ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your 2015 might be different. I don't know.

2019 Jeep Renegeade Trailhawk 1.3T.
My ESS never worked as delivered new from the dealership. "battery charging" message.
5000 miles later, I fixed it for 'em while I was under the hood checking the oil level.

On the negative terminal, you'll see the BMS module. Unplug the connector on the back of it. Wait about 10 seconds. Plug it in. Mine started working the next day on the way to work. It takes about 15 minutes of driving for mine to switch to "READY."

·
Registered
22 Posts
After 6k miles of charging and never working, I just unplugged the harness piggy backed on the negative terminal side of the battery. we’ll see tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I have it, don't use it and over the last few weeks of colder weather in the UK it would flash an error message.

It works fine but still remains disconnected. It was all down to the battery voltage.

Oh, that diverts the topic a little but a 12v reading on a 12v car battery is a borderline defective battery.

I trust one of our members that are really good with the mechanical side of things can assist better than I can ie IDMOR or DGR can assist :p(y)(y)

Capture.PNG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your 2015 might be different. I don't know.

2019 Jeep Renegeade Trailhawk 1.3T.
My ESS never worked as delivered new from the dealership. "battery charging" message.
5000 miles later, I fixed it for 'em while I was under the hood checking the oil level.

On the negative terminal, you'll see the BMS module. Unplug the connector on the back of it. Wait about 10 seconds. Plug it in. Mine started working the next day on the way to work. It takes about 15 minutes of driving for mine to switch to "READY."
Thanks, I'll try that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@puddlesplasher thanks. I don't see any error messages. It just does not work. My battery level says 12.0V, and with the engine running it is 14.0V. But I think it can still be a weak battery even if the voltage is OK.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Sorry Wiz, I misread your post. apologies as you have no error message.

My Renny is a 2015 model and bought from almost new. (now around 37K miles)

The start/stop battery had to be replaced under warranty after failing to start and being towed to the dealership. It was replaced with a higher Amperage battery and I have had no issues with starting on any occasion. YET may I add. wipes brow

On the error message I raised. It says something like "Start/stop unavailable". As I don't use it anyway it was never a concern but on a positive note the message never appears again after the car is started and the battery is being charged by the alternator.

Hopefully you get it sorted soon. (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@rudygade I have disconnected the connector (see image, circled) and plugged it back in. It made a nice clicky sound.

Is this the correct one, or should I disconnect the one with the arrow (which I could not get loose)?

I noticed my system clock was reset to 0:00 AM, but stop & start is still not doing anything.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Wiz, you ALSO need to be concerned about the wires that are not covered. Water ingress will cause corrosion and then a short circuit.

Get those wires covered up ASAP. You can see where the sleeve has moved away from the connection. :cry:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I unplugged the arrow one, there is a retention part in the connector you need to bend to unclip. But it did nothing to get my system to start working.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dealership now performed a battery health check. The battery is 100% but it is only charged 70%. So they say I need to drive more. It will only activate at a higher battery charge, they say.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
70% charge is a poor battery.

The more experienced guys in here will suggest that you get a new and higher amperage battery as the original factory fitted one barely lasts 2 years.

As indicated above I have to agree.

However, there are a few You-Tube videos out there that demonstrate what the older generation like myself used to do as young boys when we had a failing battery.

Rather than tell you and possibly cause a furore in this enlightened world of Health and Safety I suggest having a wee look and if you do try out any method of recharging that you do it in an open space or at least in a dry garage/garden shed.

If recharging doesn't work then buy a new battery. If your confidence doesn't allow you to recharge the battery than I suggest again that you buy a new battery.

Better in my opinion to try it and save yourself around £150 for a good battery. (thats another recent topic (y))

let's know how you get on please.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts