Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
No can do. The glass panels for the Euro model are much larger, like a panoramic sunroof.

The MySky panels are completely differently sized... it's not just a MySky with glass. That said, a number of people have wondered if anyone will make a glass or polycarbonate MySky panel for do-it-yourself moonroofs...

·
Registered
11 Posts
No can do. The glass panels for the Euro model are much larger, like a panoramic sunroof.

The MySky panels are completely differently sized... it's not just a MySky with glass. That said, a number of people have wondered if anyone will make a glass or polycarbonate MySky panel for do-it-yourself moonroofs...

why did they switch over? i mean the glass panel was so nice, is it not legal here?

·
Registered
602 Posts
It most likely has to do with some regulation in the US dealing with roll over protection.
I doubt that. There are a lot of cars with panoramic glass roofs. I doubt highly also a 10 LB panel of molded fiberglass is going to save you in a roll over not to mention you can pop them off.

It has more to do with cost. You also can't get HID head lights in the U.S. on the Renegade. Jeep is not the only ones that cut options to bring down the cost of their vehicles to the U.S.. People are already having fits (me included) over the cost of the Renegade and the way option packages are structured.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I doubt that. There are a lot of cars with panoramic glass roofs. I doubt highly also a 10 LB panel of molded fiberglass is going to save you in a roll over not to mention you can pop them off.

It has more to do with cost. You also can't get HID head lights in the U.S. on the Renegade. Jeep is not the only ones that cut options to bring down the cost of their vehicles to the U.S.. People are already having fits (me included) over the cost of the Renegade and the way option packages are structured.

Your point on cost is plausible. My point was if the roof cut outs are different for the glass vs. mysky fiberglass it could be an issue here. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the fiberglass isn't going to protect you in a rollover, but I base my statement on 30 years of vehicle durability test at a vehicle test track.;)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Your point on cost is plausible. My point was if the roof cut outs are different for the glass vs. mysky fiberglass it could be an issue here. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the fiberglass isn't going to protect you in a rollover, but I base my statement on 30 years of vehicle durability test at a vehicle test track.;)
Available in the U.S.

2015 Jeep® Cherokee CommandView® dual-pane sunroof power sliding glass front panel and a fixed glass panel in the rear.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
I have been in discussion with these people here; http://jeeplid.com/ ;They were unaware of the MySky in the Renegade. They said they will be looking into it when the Renegade becomes available.
Indiana, any word from JeepLid about making a version for the Renegade?

TS

·
Registered
610 Posts
People are already complaining the high cost of Renegades. HID lights and glass panoramic roofs aren't free. Just imagine how much a Renegade would cost with those features. People will really have something to cry about then.

Jeep is trying to hit a certain price range in every market to be competitive. Such options would put the Renegade off of those targets.

·
Registered
62 Posts

I am not so sure this statement is correct. The two different sunroofs appear to occupy the same area on the roof as well as the same hole locations.

From Jeep websites: (edges marked with arrows for comparison)

MySky:

Command-View:

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
People are already complaining the high cost of Renegades. HID lights and glass panoramic roofs aren't free. Just imagine how much a Renegade would cost with those features. People will really have something to cry about then.

Jeep is trying to hit a certain price range in every market to be competitive. Such options would put the Renegade off of those targets.
Am wondering what the glass roof option adds to the price. Does anyone know how many Euros it adds to the price in Europe where it is available? And is it available on all trim levels? I bet Jeep would make you order lots of other unwanted items just to get the glass roof, just like they do here with the Renegade, just drives up the price to sky high levels. That's their biggest mistake.

And has anyone even seen this on a European Jeep website? Love to see it on the European build and price web site.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am not so sure this statement is correct. The two different sunroofs appear to occupy the same area on the roof as well as the same hole locations.
But the MySky panels are the smaller rectangles in your first picture. You wouldn't be able to swap in the Command-View panels for the MySky - they simply wouldn't fit. It looks like you MAY be able to exchange the whole roof between the two. But that's a very different job that would require a lot of careful work (and the two may still not be fully compatible). And you would have to get an entire Command-View roof system to begin with.

I'm hoping either Jeep offers a glass version for 2016 (US) Renegade - or for a 3rd party to create a set of glass panels that will fit the MySky system.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
But the MySky panels are the smaller rectangles in your first picture. You wouldn't be able to swap in the Command-View panels for the MySky - they simply wouldn't fit. It looks like you MAY be able to exchange the whole roof between the two.
Would someone please listen to LonN, he gets it, just cut off the roof, exchange, and you have it.

For those who keep asking with out searching here is the answer repeated:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Glass EU Sunroof:

The spoiler-position:

The electric driven sun-protection-shield can be hold at any position, I just show the opened and the closed one:

Edit:
I'm not working in a prison, my office is the one without prison bars.

Reactions: twospirits

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
MySky U.S. Sunroof:

Hi. Can someone please post a pic of how the MySky is constructed into the roof? A pic from above the roof looking into the perimeter well.

I saw a early production pic of how the ceiling liner is just glued up and into that well and wondered what the final production treatment of that area is like.

You can see it in the top photo. Not too well designed?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Difference's:

Different Sheet Metal Roof Structure
Different Cross Member Structure
Different Locking Mechanism
Different Latch Mechanism
Different Size Panels
Different Sun Shade
Different Size
Different Shape
Different Radius

Other than those few minor differences, they should interchange just fine.

Tools Required:

Reactions: LonN

·
Registered
62 Posts
But the MySky panels are the smaller rectangles in your first picture. You wouldn't be able to swap in the Command-View panels for the MySky - they simply wouldn't fit. It looks like you MAY be able to exchange the whole roof between the two. But that's a very different job that would require a lot of careful work (and the two may still not be fully compatible). And you would have to get an entire Command-View roof system to begin with.

I'm hoping either Jeep offers a glass version for 2016 (US) Renegade - or for a 3rd party to create a set of glass panels that will fit the MySky system.
The actual openings from the inside are the same. It would be completely stupid of any manufacturer to make two different holes in a chassis that accomplish the same thing. That is my big argument.

For instance, in the BMW New MINI (R50-R53 for those wondering), there are 2 sunroof options offered worldwide. There is the panoramic option in the US and a sliding ragtop version available elsewhere in the world. Though they appear different, they use the exact same hole and wiring harness. They are completely plug and play. The only change is the headliner.

I cannot see how this would be any different with the Renegade. The big give away is the fact that the MySky (though it uses smaller panels) has filler panels around it where the glass would normally occupy.

This is all food for thought. We will see once a MySky vehicle actually appears in the US.

Love to see it on the European build and price web site.
It is all over the European "Configure" (Build and Price) functions except the UK one. It was recently removed from the UK.

German: www.jeep.de
French: www.jeep.fr

Are a few.

The picture I attached of the Command-View is from the German site. You can use Google Translate to read the pages in different languages if needed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
CalTom,

Your photographs demonstrate the exact point I have made. If those photographs did not have headliners in them, I would expect to see the same hole outline in the roof. The cross-member is simply a part of the sunroof assembly (clearly seen in the MySky photo.) This is the same case with the MINIs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.