Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adult occupant

The passenger compartment remained stable in the frontal impact. Dummy readings indicated good protection of the knees and femurs of both the driver and passenger. Jeep showed that a similar level of protection would be provided to occupants of different statures and to those sat in different positions, whose kness might strike the dashboard at different locations. All parts of the passenger dummy were well protected in the frontal test. in the side impact, the Renegade scored maximum points, with good protection of all critical body regions. Even in the more severe side pole impact, protection of the chest was adequate and that of other body areas was good. Protection against whiplash in the event of a rear-end collision was rated as marginal for both the front and rear seating positions. The Renegade has an optional autonomous braking system which operates from low speeds, typical of city driving. As the system is not standard, its low-speed functionality did not qualify for inclusion in this part of the assessment.

Child occupant

In the dynamic crash tests the Renegade scored maximum points for its protection of the 11⁄2 year and 3 year dummies, both of which were sat in rearward-facing group 0+/1 child restraints. In the side impact, both dummies were properly contained within the protective shells of their restraints, minimising the risk of head contact with the vehicle interior. The front passenger seat can be disabled to allow a rearward-facing child restraint to be used in that seating position. Clear information is provided to the driver regarding the status of the airbag and the system was rewarded. All of the restraint types for which the Renegade is designed could be properly installed and accommodated in the car.

Pedestrian

The bumper scored maximum points, showing good protection of pedestrians' legs at all test locations. However, the protection provided by the front edge of the bonnet to the pelvis was predominantly weak or poor. The bonnet showed good protection of a pedestrian's head over most of its surface and was adequate elsewhere. Only on the stiff windscreen pillars were poor results recorded.

Safety assist

The Renegade has electronic stability control as standard equipment, together with a seatbelt reminder that protects the front and rear seats. A driver-set speed limitation device is also standard and met Euro NCAP's requirements for systems of this type. An autonomous emergency braking system is an option. The system operates from the low speeds typical of city driving to the higher speeds found on the open road. As it is expected to be fitted to most cars sold its higher-speed functionality was included in the assessment and was found to perform well. A lane-assistance system is available as an option on the Renegade but was not included in the assessment as it is not expected to meet Euro NCAP's fitment requirements.

· Registered
194 Posts
Overall it doesn't seem too bad to me, great for a vehicle being as cheap as this is. How it stacks up to the competition will be interesting just to see where it sits among it's competition.

Here's the crash test video embedded:

· Registered
953 Posts
Overall it doesn't seem too bad to me, great for a vehicle being as cheap as this is. How it stacks up to the competition will be interesting just to see where it sits among it's competition.

Here's the crash test video embedded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkUYyn2Lde0
I don't think that the price of a vehicle should be any excuse for that vehicle to be less safe. It got a five star safety rating, so I don't really care how it compares to the competition. Seems like it is quite safe enough.

· Registered
187 Posts
Correct me if I am mistaken but aren`t the US IIHS-HLDI tougher in terms of score compared to European stardard ?

If this is not the case and it scores the same in US tests than this safety factor is a winner point for North American sales

I again hope short and long term reliability will be a good surprise

· Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
Correct me if I am mistaken but aren`t the US IIHS-HLDI tougher in terms of score compared to European stardard ?

If this is not the case and it scores the same in US tests than this safety factor is a winner point for North American sales

I again hope short and long term reliability will be a good surprise
It's a mixed bag.

IIHS and NHTSA don't appear to have pedestrian tests, the EU does, although they admit that the methodology is kind of wacky and unrealistic because it is very hard thing to try and test. IIHS just sort of advocates directly without a metric. IMO the computer simulations are probably more meaningful than the way the EU does it.

IIHS doesn't have the pillar test for the side imnpact, and until recently their offset head on test was less tough than the EU one. With the addition of the small overlap test, IIHS now has the tougher test on that one. NHTSA is kind of a joke as at lot of their tests are done at a glancing angle.

We do rollover testing, sort of. The EU tests don't include it as far as I can tell. Some EU member nations do additional rollover testing that is better than the IIHS or NTHSA stuff IMO.

They do separate whiplash evaluation, we just measure injury potential as part of other tests. They integrate child seat testing and we do not. They also test a different range of people sizes. IIHS has improved that, but isn't to the same place yet.

In terms of teh renegade, the only place it can really fall down for US tests are rollover and small overlap. In my opinion, the one to watch is the small overlap. The 500 failed that miserably, and if you look at the moderate overlap test you can see the behavior that causes it to tank, which is the wheel being driven straight back. In the small overlap, the more concentrated force overwhelms the safety cage and you get cabin intrusion. The renegade does the same thing as the 500 in the EU moderate overlap test. IT may fail the same way, but with a widened chassis and higher ride height, that may be sufficient to avoid the same negative results. It's hard to tell. hit up the iihs page and check out the Mazda cx-5. The difference in what the vehicle does between a good rating and a low end marginal rating is subtle to put it mildly.

· Registered
318 Posts
So don´t give too much on that unusefull Test ... the tests are made at speeds with 65 km/h on a standing target. This is a crash with two moving cars at a speed of 32.5 km/h each ... so guess what will happen in a Crash with both Cars going up to 100 km/h ?

If they did want to test anything practicable they had to test it with 200 km/h against a standing Target and guess what would happen?

Those tests are only good to calm down little Granny but when you think it over you have to accept that in real Life you got to have some luck to survive ... in every Car!

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So don´t give too much on that unusefull Test ... the tests are made at speeds with 65 km/h on a standing target. This is a crash with two moving cars at a speed of 32.5 km/h each ... so guess what will happen in a Crash with both Cars going up to 100 km/h ?

If they did want to test anything practicable they had to test it with 200 km/h against a standing Target and guess what would happen?

Those tests are only good to calm down little Granny but when you think it over you have to accept that in real Life you got to have some luck to survive ... in every Car!
Better than nothing ?

· Registered
318 Posts
Better than nothing ?
when you drive faster than Test Speed yes ... those tests doesn´t reflect anything when you change anything (Ancle, speed, Point of impact)

Some Manufactors optimize the Car especially for the Tests ... so they look good.

The only Tests that give a Conclusion of what might happen is when you let two different cars together ... but here is also the same Problem different ancle, speed, impact zone ... the only Thing you can say for sure is that the one with the heavier, bigger Car will kill the one in the compact ...

· Registered
16 Posts
when you drive faster than Test Speed yes ... those tests doesn´t reflect any
The only Tests that give a Conclusion of what might happen is when you let two different cars together.
This is actually what Saab used to do when she was still alive: she reviewed all incident reports recorded by swedish car insurances to find out the best hints to improve car safety

...and yes, I have a Saab :laugh:

regards from Monza, ITA

Reactions: timsvtgen1

· Registered
165 Posts
...and yes, I have a Saab :laugh:
Nice to see another Saab owner here. I currently have a 2011 Saab 9-5, which I sincerely believe is among the world's safest cars. Now I am contemplating getting a Renegade, but the safety has had me a bit concerned. The EuroNCAP test result is a bit reassuring.

· Super Moderator
3,685 Posts

The physics is a little counter intuitive, but if you crash two cars into each other, each going 32.5km/h, it isn't the equivalent of a 60km/h impact into a stationary object, it's the equivalent of a 32.5km crash into a stationary object. You can only decelerate to zero, same as hitting a wall.

As for bigger cars winning vs. smaller cars, well... lets say all the physics involved isn't restricted to just mass.

http://youtu.be/joMK1WZjP7g

· Registered
318 Posts
The physics is a little counter intuitive, but if you crash two cars into each other, each going 32.5km/h, it isn't the equivalent of a 60km/h impact into a stationary object, it's the equivalent of a 32.5km crash into a stationary object. You can only decelerate to zero, same as hitting a wall.

As for bigger cars winning vs. smaller cars, well... lets say all the physics involved isn't restricted to just mass.

http://youtu.be/joMK1WZjP7g
The bigger car with more Mass gets the least Power to survive ... thats it
If you run against a Truck or something like that you will not stop the beast even if you have the same speed (1.6 tons against 40 tons both with 50 km/h)

The smaller car will get awfully deformed and will change Direction because the Truck will be slowed down a bit and drive on its route ... So i f you want to go out of this just as in the Tests you should look up how big is the car you are going to have a head to head collision ... ;):D>:D

· Registered
1,444 Posts
The bigger car with more Mass gets the least Power to survive ... thats it
If you run against a Truck or something like that you will not stop the beast even if you have the same speed (1.6 tons against 40 tons both with 50 km/h)

The smaller car will get awfully deformed and will change Direction because the Truck will be slowed down a bit and drive on its route ... So i f you want to go out of this just as in the Tests you should look up how big is the car you are going to have a head to head collision ... ;):D>:D
And that's the reason why the idea of driving a smart car sort of scares me although there are test that show how well they can hold up in a crash.

· Registered
187 Posts
Nice to see another Saab owner here. I currently have a 2011 Saab 9-5, which I sincerely believe is among the world's safest cars. Now I am contemplating getting a Renegade, but the safety has had me a bit concerned. The EuroNCAP test result is a bit reassuring.

I used to love SAAB and I had a 1987 one in 2004 and it survived 2 Canadian winters only :) but it was a TANK!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.