Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the rear diff of my TH from this unusual perspective ;) I noticed the wiring you can see on the back of the differential.

Any idea about what it is, why it's there, why so exposed without any protection – even if so exposed to mud, water, etc.?
It think it should be in a casing...

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Mine looks similar. The wiring isn't really exposed since each of the wires are insulated, but the protective convoluted tubing doesn't extend right up to the connector. You probably don't want the protective tubing to extend right up to the connector because it might hold some water.

The wiring is part of the electronic rear axle disconnect. This allows the car to drive in FWD when 4x4 is not needed.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
That just looks like poor quality build on the harness. The tubing would not trap water as it is pointing downwards.

If it were mine, I would wrap it, the open wires are prone to damage, either from something on the trail or maintenance. Mud from the trail is going to run done into the connector contacts causing more issues.

Just leave a small opening, at the lowest point, when you wrap it, for any water to escape.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
What I meant was the gap that comes from the factory is likely fine as is. I'd be afraid to tape it all up and have a chance for water to get trapped in there rather than drain away. The "waterproof" connectors are only waterproof to a certain point.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For a $25,000 vehicle this is what FCA designed as an electrical connector-wow.
Electrical connections made in adverse conditions is most common and this is just one poor solution to a simple problem. How much could it cost to design a first class connector, not much I would say.

·
Super Moderator
4,686 Posts
Do you have any other photos of the gas tank skids? If you do will you post them please.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Have to say that looks dreadful.
Water isn't going to be the only problem - a couple of winters with salt on the roads will soon put paid to those connectors.
I would probably be packing them with silicone grease.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
That just looks like poor quality build on the harness. The tubing would not trap water as it is pointing downwards.

If it were mine, I would wrap it, the open wires are prone to damage, either from something on the trail or maintenance. Mud from the trail is going to run done into the connector contacts causing more issues.

Just leave a small opening, at the lowest point, when you wrap it, for any water to escape.
That's just he way all the canbus wiring terminates throughout the vehicle. It's water resistant, and it is fairly protected from impact where it is. The connectors are weatherproof. Nothing is running down into them while they are connected.

If one is going to worry about them, I'd be much more concerned about the engine bay where they can be subject to being snagged during part removal and replacement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.