Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer installed an aftermarket alarm system I really dislike! When I open the trunk (using keyless entry) the alarm stays armed and when I shut it the alarm sounds by the vibration of the slamming. Also when I remote start the car I have to also unlock it. Otherwise the alarm starts to give warning beeps after 30 seconds. After a minute or more the full alarm will sound if not unlocked.

I'm going to the dealership today to have it removed. In my eyes it's not compatible with the factory equipment!

My Limited doesn't have the Safety and Security package, but does the car come with a factory alarm installed? Will the car still be safe if I have them remove this aftermarket alarm?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I don't like aftermarket alarm systems myself. And I don't really like car alarms either.

If it were my car, I'd have them remove the aftermarket alarm and just leave the car as is.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I like factory alarms, but dislike aftermarket alarms, but some of the higher end ones can be good, if installed correctly by savy techs.
I like having an alarm. Two of my older cars were broken into in the front of my house, neither had alarms...and they knew that.
Depending on your own personal situation, you'll need to decide whether to go without, or spend good money for a good alarm and install.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
I have seen an alarm halt a theft exactly never. My insurance company doesn't even discount for them any more. The base config without safety and security has the rfid tied to the engine immobilizer as far as I could tell from doing research. So it's not like you can just hotwire the thing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have seen an alarm halt a theft exactly never. My insurance company doesn't even discount for them any more. The base config without safety and security has the rfid tied to the engine immobilizer as far as I could tell from doing research. So it's not like you can just hotwire the thing.
It's not necessarily about stealing the car.
At one point we owned 3 Civics. My LX was the only one with an alarm. Thieves broke into the other two and left mine sitting untouched in the driveway.
The thieves had all the time in the world to steal specific parts that were no longer available from Honda. If there were alarms, this would have never happened other then maybe the initial damage to gain access before setting off the alarm and then fleeing...and maybe not even that. Both my factory alarm and the aftermarket units we later installed had small red leds that blinked when the alarm was set. This is what kept them from touching the LX.
As for the new Jeeps, one of the first questions my insurance company asked is if they had alarms.
Again, it's up to your personal situation and environment. It can be done well if you so choose to do it.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
It's not necessarily about stealing the car.
At one point we owned 3 Civics. My LX was the only one with an alarm. Thieves broke into the other two and left mine sitting untouched in the driveway.
The thieves had all the time in the world to steal specific parts that were no longer available from Honda. If there were alarms, this would have never happened other then maybe the initial damage to gain access before setting off the alarm and then fleeing...and maybe not even that. Both my factory alarm and the aftermarket units we later installed had small red leds that blinked when the alarm was set. This is what kept them from touching the LX.
As for the new Jeeps, one of the first questions my insurance company asked is if they had alarms.
Again, it's up to your personal situation and environment. It can be done well if you so choose to do it.
Well that part you already took care of. Buy something that doesn't sell a zillion units a year and it doesn't become a target for spare parts. Thieves don't want to look for a buyer.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well that part you already took care of. Buy something that doesn't sell a zillion units a year and it doesn't become a target for spare parts. Thieves don't want to look for a buyer.
Raz-o, you're not even close but now we're getting off point...
If people want an aftermarket alarm, they can get one if they would like one, as long as they don't go cheap and get quality installers.
The one "pro" with aftermarket units is that different triggers and sensors can be added where factory units don't tread. The sensitivity can also be adjusted.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Raz-o, you're not even close but now we're getting off point...
If people want an aftermarket alarm, they can get one if they would like one, as long as they don't go cheap and get quality installers.
The one "pro" with aftermarket units is that different triggers and sensors can be added where factory units don't tread. The sensitivity can also be adjusted.
How am am I off the point. Civic, Corolla, f-150 and Silverado are some of the top selling cars, stay on the road a long time and are some of the top stolen vehicles.

Don't buy one of the top ten, you avoid participating in the bulk of the 'car theft as industry' market by not being a provider of inventory.

Car alarms are mostly annoying and I have never seen anyone really care about them other than wishing they would be quiet. Most if not all insurance companies don't even discount for them any more, which speaks to how much of a deterrent they are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.