Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question to the Europeans: Can anyone confirm that a factory fitted towbar can be ordered on the Renegade?
According to the configurator on www.jeep.de as well as the Swedish, Danish and Austrian price info, it can be ordered factory fitted. Option package code 7KU and towbar code XER. However, the Norwegian importer says that it can not be ordered factory fitted and the local dealer wants a ridiculous price for mounting the towbar (three times the German and Swedish price).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I am still waiting for the delivery of my Trailhawk...

But I ordered it with the Towing Package. There are only a few pictures available from the original towbar. It seems to be integrated into a modified bumper. And that could be the reason for the additional installation price, if not installed already in Melfi.

In the Mopar Catalogue is another Towhook listed. That one seems to be much easier to install.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well I am still waiting for the delivery of my Trailhawk...

But I ordered it with the Towing Package. There are only a few pictures available from the original towbar. It seems to be integrated into a modified bumper. And that could be the reason for the additional installation price, if not installed already in Melfi.

In the Mopar Catalogue is another Towhook listed. That one seems to be much easier to install.
Please send the link for that Mopar catalogue. Thanks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Thanks for your reply. The one they want triple price to install is actually the Mopar one.

Btw, I saw from your reply in the discussion about delayed delivery that your are from Switzerland? I just checked jeep.ch and the "daten und preise" brochure does list the towbar option pack, but it says Fabruary 2015. So I guess the towbar pack isn't available yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for your reply. The one they want triple price to install is actually the Mopar one.

Btw, I saw from your reply in the discussion about delayed delivery that your are from Switzerland? I just checked jeep.ch and the "daten und preise" brochure does list the towbar option pack, but it says Fabruary 2015. So I guess the towbar pack isn't available yet.
Hi

On Spain configuration towbar is not available.

Here (Spain), as a rule, towbar is aftermarket, so many factories made it, and cheaper than was mounting on car factoty. But after asemble it, you must go to ITV (TUV name on Germany, think, am not sure) in order homologate it, and pay for these, of course.

B. Regards

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

On Spain configuration towbar is not available.

Here (Spain), as a rule, towbar is aftermarket, so many factories made it, and cheaper than was mounting on car factoty. But after asemble it, you must go to ITV (TUV name on Germany, think, am not sure) in order homologate it, and pay for these, of course.

B. Regards

Thanks. Sounds like I should drive down to Spain to have a towbar installed! :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks CalTom. I found that site yesterday. Looks like the European "towbar" offered by Mopar will mount under the bumper, does not look like it will take a USA standard receiver square "tube" hitch. If that's the case then you also would not be able to plug in a receiver mout bike rack. Need to wait until the car gets here and then see what types of hitches the Jeep dealers can get from Mopar/USA. Also need to see what hitch companies like Curt Hitches will come up with. For certain I do not feel like paying $2000.00 extra just to get 4 wheel drive that I do not need just so I can then get a factory hitch.

It's also such a shame that you can't get an auto tranny with the smaller less expensive engine. To get just about anything extra you then have to pay for lots of other things one may not want. That's why they price out to be bloody expensive.

Will be interesting to see if they offer free extras for the first 6 months like Fiat did with the 500L. I got free GPS, back up camera, navigation, larger screen and Sirius radio since I got my 500L when they first came out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i can confirm that i was able to order my limited with a factory tow bar pre installed. it has a removal tow hitch which is coming out of the bottom of the bumper (not like the mopar ones) very near installation. also comes with a cover to close the bumper whole when the tow bar is not in use.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I realize this is a Euro-centric discussion but I thought I would add a few comments. In the US, a tow bar is a device used to tow one vehicle behind another. The "towing package" installed on US vehicles is commonly referred to as a "trailer hitch" along with it's associated wiring. The tow ball is attached to a length of square steel tube that is inserted into a receiver on the vehicle and held in place by a pin.

Such an arrangement is quite robust and has the added advantage that you can use the receiver to mount a bike rack, small motorcycle carrier, cargo basket, etc. Different size towing balls are used for trailers of different weight classes.

In the attached photo you can see the receiver with attachments for safety chains on either side. This is a factory installation and you can see that the bumper fascia is different.

When I've visited Europe I've noticed the differences in your towing setups. One question I have is how much weight can they support and how heavy a trailer can you pull? I routinely pull a 2200 kg trailer (carrying my Army Jeep) behind my Sprinter Van with such an arrangement.

Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
1500 kg with the renegade in Sweden depends on the car a *Jeep Grand-Cherokee can pull 3500kg.

Skickat från min LG-H815 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Westfalia-based trailer hitch itself can support 100 kg (approx. 200 lbs), but the Renegade manual limits this load to 60 kg. It still allows the use of a bike rack. The maximum trailer weight of 1500 kg is limited by the manufacturer of the vehicle.

It is true that even the manual calls the device "the tow bar". I wonder which one is correct, perhaps both of the them, but on the different sides of the Atlantic...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This looks very much like the Westfalia tow bar that I had fitted after I bought my Renegade.
I also got the Westfalia one fitted, but I am dissapointed that it did not come with a cover to fit over the hole in the bumper when the tow bar is removed. Another annoyance is that the rear parking sensors are not deactivated when a trailer is attached. I contacted Westfalia and they told me that they did supply a connector that would disable the parking sensors when a trailer was hooked up and therefor I wonder if my dealer screwed up when installing the tow bar. Does your set up disable the parking sensors?

Also could someone with the factory tow bar check if there is a part number on the back side of the cover that came with the Mopar tow bar? I'm hoping that maybe the Mopar cover also can be used to cover the hole from the Westfalia aftermarket one.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I also got the Westfalia one fitted, but I am dissapointed that it did not come with a cover to fit over the hole in the bumper when the tow bar is removed. Another annoyance is that the rear parking sensors are not deactivated when a trailer is attached. I contacted Westfalia and they told me that they did supply a connector that would disable the parking sensors when a trailer was hooked up and therefor I wonder if my dealer screwed up when installing the tow bar. Does your set up disable the parking sensors?

Also could someone with the factory tow bar check if there is a part number on the back side of the cover that came with the Mopar tow bar? I'm hoping that maybe the Mopar cover also can be used to cover the hole from the Westfalia aftermarket one.
Hi, I had mine fitted by an independent towbar fitter. I was also disappointed that there was no cover.

I must say I have not reversed with my trailer on yet or used my bike rack, so can not comment on the parking sensors issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had recently a bike-carrier attached to the Westfalia trailer hitch of my Renegade Limited. At first when reversing the alarm was on continuously. After stopping reversing I noticed that one of the push buttons on the dashboard had a light on. I suppose this was done automatically, cause I did not do anything.

It seems that the parking aid can either be turned off by pushing the button, or the Jeep is clever enough to do this by itself in the end.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts