Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hand washing my car today and noticed the plastic around my grill is fading. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem? I’m going to buy some ArmorAll outlast trim & plastic restorer. Maybe next summer paint the trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was hand washing my car today and noticed the plastic around my grill is fading. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem? I’m going to buy some ArmorAll outlast trim & plastic restorer. Maybe next summer paint the trim.
What you have here is a bad paint mix called mottling the easy fix for this is 600 grit wet&dry make sure it has been soaked real well the paper that is tape off with the blue tape and paper like lamps and chrome bits then paper up the front of the vehicle and rattle can it with matt black paint make sure you use long even strokes about 75% coverage on spray bys let it dry in the sun then check for over spray use a good clay bar and wait a week before washing as it will give it plenty of time to go off and will bond better ... hope this helps now if a different color to black then might have to go to a body shop to get it done...Tito Sam

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
I am confused as my Jeep has not suffered from the same discolouration but it got me thinking. :unsure:

Almost 5 years ago when I bought the Jeep it was recommended to have "some kind of coating" applied to preserve the paintwork. I would be telling lies if I agreed with anyone as to what that coating was.

Presently I have no discolouration anywhere on my red Jeep and red is supposed to be the worst colour for fading. Who knows if the solution was applied to the plastic. Whatever it was worked and it was only guaranteed for 3 years.

When the external plastic on occasion shows a slight lightening of colour it gets a microfibre cloth soaked with "dash board/plastic trim restorer" applied to it. To be fair it always gets the same treatemnt when I wash and dry the Jeep.

Therefore is it possible that by constantly applying trim restorer that I have alleviated the potential fading that Gewehr and others are experiencing. Could the issue be down to lack of maintenance to the plastic trim?

I know that can read that some people cannot be bothered to maintain the appearance of their Jeep but that is not what I am trying to convey. I am merely asking if I have a solution. :unsure:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am confused as my Jeep has not suffered from the same discolouration but it got me thinking. :unsure:

Almost 5 years ago when I bought the Jeep it was recommended to have "some kind of coating" applied to preserve the paintwork. I would be telling lies if I agreed with anyone as to what that coating was.

Presently I have no discolouration anywhere on my red Jeep and red is supposed to be the worst colour for fading. Who knows if the solution was applied to the plastic. Whatever it was worked and it was only guaranteed for 3 years.

When the external plastic on occasion shows a slight lightening of colour it gets a microfibre cloth soaked with "dash board/plastic trim restorer" applied to it. To be fair it always gets the same treatemnt when I wash and dry the Jeep.

Therefore is it possible that by constantly applying trim restorer that I have alleviated the potential fading that Gewehr and others are experiencing. Could the issue be down to lack of maintenance to the plastic trim?

I know that can read that some people cannot be bothered to maintain the appearance of their Jeep but that is not what I am trying to convey. I am merely asking if I have a solution. :unsure:
Hi, I think your constant application of the trim restorer is the key that it was properly maintained and it had not faded. That restorer thing has protection. It's those little things that you do that matters in the long run. (y). A good maintenance would prevent the plastic trim from fading. No need to restore.

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
Plasticote for vehicles?

Remember that preparation is the key to success. Cleanliness needs to be observed at all times. Clean the area thoroughly that's being painted. Wet and dry over each new player of paint to smooth it down etc etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Black plastic exterior parts on cars. The sun ray's kills them. We'll have to do the same thing the Chevy Avalanche owners had to do, paint them. My Renegade is 5 years old and suffers the same fate. I've done a better than average job keeping the outside clean and waxed. I blame Fiat for this one. Car manufacturers have the knowledge/know how to keep exterior parts in good condition for 10 years. This was cost savings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts