Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

FCA finds itself again in the headlines for all the wrong reasons. At the same time they reached their $105 million settlement with the NHTSA for mishandling recalls, it has come to light that FCA has been significantly under reported deaths or injuries.

“This represents a significant failure to meet a manufacturer’s safety responsibilities,” NHTSA Administrator Mark Rosekind said in a statement. “NHTSA will take appropriate action after gathering additional information on the scope and causes of this failure.”

In July as part of FCA's punishment for mishandling recalls since 2009, it was decided they must satisfy extra requirements as part of a consent decree. Under the decree FCA is expected to revamp its recall and defect practices, as well as brining in an independent monitor as part of the board.

FCA says this latest discrepancy was found because of the consent decree. Rosekind suggests that FCA’s under-reporting was caused by “a number of problems with FCA’s systems for gathering and reporting Early Warning data.”

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought my Renegade with a $1,000 trade-in incentive for my 2009 Ram. They really did mishandle the recalls for that vehicle.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Doesn't sound so much deliberate as it was a problem with the system. Not that that makes it better, but knowing they are purposely lying makes them look better than some of their rivals. (You know who I'm talking about).

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Doesn't sound so much deliberate as it was a problem with the system. Not that that makes it better, but knowing they are purposely lying makes them look better than some of their rivals. (You know who I'm talking about).
"Doesn't sound so much deliberate as it was a problem with the system"

seems mutually exclusive with:

"but knowing they are purposely lying makes them look better than some of their rivals"

If they are purposely lying, then clearly that is deliberate! Face it, they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar again, and after this:

In late July, FCA US was hit with a potential $105-million fine by NHTSA for the way the automaker conducted some recalls. As part of that agreement, the company also consented to more rigorous oversight by safety regulators in the future and a buy-back of some affected vehicles.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/29/fca-under-reported-death-injury-claims/
With this and now the VW Diselgate it just sounds like the are trying to minimize their loses before NHTSA finds more information.

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
The thing is, like most of the nhtsa issues, is that the majority of them likely happened under Daimler or Cerberus.

ALL the manufacturers are under reporting. That was one of the key points of the damning nhtsa audit document. They were essentially abdicating policing compliance to the manufacturers, which had the expected outcome of the manufacturers taking advantage of such.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I can see a maufacturer finding loopholes on reporting such things. Who would want to state the obvious regarding deaths and injuries, especially if the reporting criteria is open for interpretation? Doesn't make it right but understandable......

·
Registered
104 Posts
I wonder if anyone from the NE Patriots* organization works for them?

·
Registered
610 Posts
The thing is, like most of the nhtsa issues, is that the majority of them likely happened under Daimler or Cerberus.

ALL the manufacturers are under reporting. That was one of the key points of the damning nhtsa audit document. They were essentially abdicating policing compliance to the manufacturers, which had the expected outcome of the manufacturers taking advantage of such.
Right. They all do it, it's a matter of who gets caught. As we've all seen recently with regards to emissions and the EPA. Both the NHTSA and EPA were defunded due to the budgets fights in congress under the banner of "the government is way too big, big government bad!"

And the result is both agencies had staff reductions to the point where the very industries they were suppose to keep an watchful eye on were not watched to the extent they should've been. In the EPA's case, instead of the EPA testing new cars and certifying them as clean enough for sale, it became a self-certification program with the manufacturers did their own testing and provided the EPA with forms to stamp and file. VW took great advantage of that. When the cat is away, the mice come out to play.

Granted both agencies are sure to be inefficient and dysfunctional (like any large organization public or private), but when you cut indiscriminately... there is a price to be paid that isn't evident until later on down the road. Just like corporate lay offs. Those of us that work for a living probably have experienced more than our fair share of them and often good and highly productive people get laid off instead of the incompetent ones that actually deserves to be let go.

·
Registered
953 Posts
FCA Underreporting of Death and Injury Incidents Much Worse then First Thought

Turns out FCA didn't just make a mistake. They were pretty aware of what they were doing.

"We identified it. They went back. It goes much deeper than I think anybody expected," NHTSA administrator Mark Rosekind told reports, according to quotes published by The Detroit News.

After receiving notification from the agency of an apparent discrepancy in its early warning reporting (EWR) numbers, FCA admitted to the underreporting and promised to participate in the subsequent investigation.

Rosekind declined to disclose an estimate of how many deaths and injuries were not included in FCA's required EWR reports, though the results promise to be "pretty surprising." The agency is said to be still uncovering more problems as it continues to look at the data.

"That's what we're trying to figure out," he said. "We find one thing and then it goes back further and so that's what the challenge has been."
It just makes me wonder with all this cheating being exposed, how much cheating goes on that we never figure out even happened?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.